Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
I am assuming the Iphone 5 will come to Verizon this summer. I know nobody knows the answer but what do you think they'll do. My decision whether I get the Iphone 4 for Verizon rests on whether they are likely to take away the unlimited plan for the Iphone 5.

What do you guys think they are more likely to do? I tend to use a lot of data on my phones, so I was leaning towards getting the Iphone 4. But the rumors of how the Iphone 5 will be a complete re-design, or dual core processor, or bigger screen makes it hard to choose.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I won't be surprised if they take it away before the end of March. I agree with the poster above me.

TimShady

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
Chicago
I'd definitely get the iPhone 4 if you're very concerned about unlimited data. If the iPhone 5 comes out in the summer and is truly revolutionary, you should be able to eBay your 4 and buy a 5 at retail and keep the unlimited plan.

At least that's what I plan on doing.

simple20

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Considering ATT took it away like the day before.... yeah, yeah I do think unlimited data could go away before the iphone 5.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I wouldn't be necessarily surprised, but then again I've had a smart phone on verizon for about 5-6 years now and it seems like I've been hearing about verizon getting rid of unlimited data "any time now" for pretty much that entire time..

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
I wouldn't be necessarily surprised, but then again I've had a smart phone on verizon for about 5-6 years now and it seems like I've been hearing about verizon getting rid of unlimited data "any time now" for pretty much that entire time..

Same here (10 years) and you are correct but, they've never had the iPhone and the VZW iPhone FAQ does implicitely state "Unlimited data plan required for $29.99 *for a limited time".

Whether that means they will ditch it or charge $39.99 later on I do not know.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Same here (10 years) and you are correct but, they've never had the iPhone and the VZW iPhone FAQ does implicitely state "Unlimited data plan required for $29.99 *for a limited time".

Whether that means they will ditch it or charge $39.99 later on I do not know.

If there's any truth to the rumor that verizon was initially offered the iphone and declined because they didn't feel they could keep up with the network traffic, then it would lend a bit more credibility to the idea that unlimited might be coming to an end.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
While the unlimited is great, I'm fairly certain it will be short lived. As soon as LTE makes it's way into the iPhone, I'm sure you will lose the unlimited.

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
If there's any truth to the rumor that verizon was initially offered the iphone and declined because they didn't feel they could keep up with the network traffic, then it would lend a bit more credibility to the idea that unlimited might be coming to an end.

Personally, I think that they figure they're going to get a lot more business and can start bending people over. I think the network will do fine.

Or, since they're planning on eventually going over to LTE the "* limited time only" may just mean that you have to pay a premium on top of the unlimited data price to access LTE. Or an overall increase across the boards for everyone who wishes to have unlimited data which gives you access to LTE.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I was in the same boat, ie buy now with unlimited and lock it in, but there's an article floating around stating Verizon will not grandfather you in when you switch the device, ie get the iPhone 5. Their policy supposedly reads that the unlimited for the iPhone is attached to that SKU as opposed to the end user - like AT&T.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My suggestion: if you really want the unlimited data, I would act soon. No one knows when they'll pull the plug/ flip the switch. :(

Agreed. I don't think Verizon will keep unlimited data for very long. I think they are using that to lure people away from at&t.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I am not biased towards either AT&T or Verizon because I've been using both for years. Having carefully read each of their terms & conditions it's apparent to me that the concept of "locking in" a certain data plan like unlimited may work temporarily, but the carriers have given themselves an out in the usual, predictable way. "subject to change". Thus while this may or may not be invoked, be aware.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I'm thinking that unlimited data won't be offered for very long, so if you're in doubt at all then I'd jump on it now. That's what I'm doing.

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
when you sign up for Verizon when unlimited is available you will only have it for the term of your 2 year contract and then it will probably go back to limited data if unlimited is not available. That's what they said.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I know that there are some that use a good bit of data. Most don't. Everyone keeps saying the iphone 5 is coming. I think it's funny. There most likely be a hardware upgrade for the GSM version and the big focus is going to be on software. Get the iPhone and enjoy it. The 5 and redesign probably won't happen until summer '12 so that apple can get everyone on a relitivly same schedule. Does it make any sense to piss off all those people that are willing to pay full price for the 4 and 5 months later a new iphone is out. Not a lot of people are using any logic when talking about this.

When the 5 does stove it'll most likely be LTE compatible and then your unlimited 3G goes out th window. If you want and have been waiting for the verizon iPhone then get one and start enjoying.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
when you sign up for Verizon when unlimited is available you will only have it for the term of your 2 year contract and then it will probably go back to limited data if unlimited is not available. That's what they said.
Better to grab it while you can and enjoy it for 2 years than not have it at all.

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
I know that there are some that use a good bit of data. Most don't. Everyone keeps saying the iphone 5 is coming. I think it's funny. There most likely be a hardware upgrade for the GSM version and the big focus is going to be on software. Get the iPhone and enjoy it. The 5 and redesign probably won't happen until summer '12 so that apple can get everyone on a relitivly same schedule. Does it make any sense to piss off all those people that are willing to pay full price for the 4 and 5 months later a new iphone is out. Not a lot of people are using any logic when talking about this.

When the 5 does stove it'll most likely be LTE compatible and then your unlimited 3G goes out th window. If you want and have been waiting for the verizon iPhone then get one and start enjoying.

+1. Very similar to what I'm thinking at the moment.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
This is one of the reasons why I feel getting an iphone now instead of waiting for a MAYBE new iphone is June is the better move

I would rather lock in unlimited data now and then upgrade to an iphone 6 then wait for an iphone 5 and get limited data possibly

its your decision, but if data is your concern the more logical choice is to lock it in now while it is offered

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
I'd do it now. Lock it in. I'm grandfathered in on att some I'm not really concerned what they do with tiered people, but I wouldn't be suprised if they canceled it soon.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

This is what sucks. Realistically there's not that much reason to rush out and get a "limited time" unlimited plan.

I'm only interested in a grandfathered deal, not a revokable one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.