Would y'all return/exchange for this -- misaligned gasket

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtr1985, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

Once I noticed it is pretty annoying. The bottom right gasket compared to bottom left appears to be out of alignment.

What do y'all think? It's within the 14-day return period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I cannot even tell what I am suppose to be seeing here.

Do you mean where it is somewhat bent downwards near the right side of the hinge?

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I would return it. If that was my system, that will be the first thing I will see everytime I use my laptop. It will feel like that the misaligned gasket will be staring at me. Or in other words, it will really bother me considering what I paid for a premium merchandise.

4. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's how I felt about it. Wasn't sure if it was a common issue or even a returnable/exchangeable issue.

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

If it is within the 14-day return period, there is no such thing as a non-returnable issue.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If your screen is visually perfect and you return it there may be a good chance you will get back a screen with a yellowing tint. So keep that in mind.

7. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Its not a misaligned gasket, your screen casing is slightly bent. I can see it in one of the pics.

8. fs454 macrumors 65816

I'd probably send it back, but honestly, it really pays to unbox it at the store and call them on any imperfections or screen issues. If you push it up with your finger, does it return to its normal position or is it stuck that way?

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

It really seems like people actively spend time looking for flaws...

10. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Although I didn't want to push hard, it doesn't move at all. It just has that slight bend in the alignment at that point.

The split screen pics are left vs right side.

11. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Uhhh yea? You'd be stupid not to check for flaws. After the 14-day return period is over, its a heck of a lot harder getting the little things fixed (or swapped out).

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

A cosmetic issue that does not affect functionality in any way and is barely noticeable is, in my opinion, not even close to worth the hassle of reboxing and returning, especially when there's a non-zero probability of getting another unit with a more serious problem.

As with most things in life, if you look hard enough, you can find a problem. People who do that as a matter of course tend to be less happy. I know, because I am one of those people.

13. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Yea, but the thing is, you don't have to look too hard to notice the flaw in these pictures. If I spent $3000 on a machine and the screen was bent (I don't care how small the bend is), you bet your ass I am returning it. And I am pretty sure you would do the same, if it were YOUR machine. The only issue is how far away the Apple Store is for the OP, so... yea, it is more of a question he needs to ask himself - is it worth the hassle? I have an Apple store 5 min away from where I live, so, it's not much of a question for me, hypothetically speaking.

I have less sympathy for the idiots over in the "is my screen yellow" thread who are posting pic after pic taken with their camera phones (lol?) asking if the screen looks good.

But I do agree with you, if you look hard enough for a problem, you will likely find one... and it all comes down to what issues people find acceptable vs unacceptable. It is subjective.

14. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

We're agreed there. To me, sitting back and looking at the pictures, this was barely noticeable. I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking at in the last one the OP posted. This may just be an instance of mediocre lighting and mediocre photography; it's hard to tell from these shots.

And yes, on the "yellow" screens. Good freaking grief.

15. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya it's not a hassle as a retail store is close.

Judging from the reaction here, it shouldn't be an issue for a sales rep to see the problem.

Would I need to make a genius appointment, or can the sales rep handle within 14 days?

16. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

No, you do not need to make a genius appt. If you are within 14 days, just go to store and return it. They probably won't even ask why you want to return it. And if they do - you can say "because I hate apple" and they will gladly take it back. Furthermore, you could repeat this process 10x and they will still let you return it. Apple is just that good about returns.

Don't be scared. Just go to the store and return it, they will be happy to help you.

17. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

They're all like that. You can chance yourself in getting a perfectly aligned machine for other worst defect. Like a temperamental drop out wifi card, bad ram that you eventually discovers a months letter when the symptom manifest itself.

I assure you that slight misalign is the least of your concern. And yes, that slight misalignment can easily be asjusted with the proper tool. And yes, I have done it to my 15" rmbp.

18. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Surely the majority are not like that. Wouldn't be surprised if easy adjustment, though.

19. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Return and if you get another one with a different issue, return that one. Rinse and repeat.

If Apple wants to screw around with their quality control that is their problem. My first 2013 rMBP had a chip on the bottom near one of the vents. Tiny but noticeable and I'm sorry, I didn't pay $2699 for that crap, and I'm certainly not going to end up negotiating about it a year or two later when I go to sell it.

20. thekb macrumors 6502a

Good grief, there's nothing wrong with this computer.

21. intothepolis macrumors regular

My 13" has the same problem. I didn't notice it for a few months after I'd owned it. I would say if you're still in the return period then exchange it. I think it's more common than people think because i've seen it on a quite a few machines. You kind of have to know what to look for though or you won't see it. I think most people never notice it.

22. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

It's hard to see, but you know - these are pictures. The point is - if it's annoying, return it. Otherwise you won't sleep well - well, at least I wouldn't.

23. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i just had to exchange a new one due to bad IR, but that one had a really misaligned gasket that was worse than yours. when i was at the apple store for the exchange, i noticed a couple of the demo models out on the floor had them also. another one i exchanged due to yellow blotches on screen had the lower left gasket corner not even glued, so it was sticking out.

so yea, i think it's just apple's QC lately. it's a shame since i've been seeing cheaper windows laptops lately that have better quality control.

24. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's IR?

And they switched it out no problem, rep noticed it right away when he opened it up.

And FYI (never knew about this): he mentioned they are in the holiday return period at this point--so everything purchased between 11/1/13 and 12/25/13 gets until 1/7/13 for returns.