Would you access your Mac from your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adddictedtomac, Apr 3, 2012.

1. adddictedtomac, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012

adddictedtomac macrumors regular

It is posible to access your Mac from your iPad, and the app is free.

Here is a brief video:

Do you think that this is an app that you may actually use; and if so what would you mostly do?

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I already access my Mac and PC from my iPad using Splashtop.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use gotomypc and logmein to access my work computer (using gotomypc) and my Mac using Logmein :)

4. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Plus 1 for Splashtop

5. jkeekij macrumors regular

You can also use LogMeIn free and it works pretty well. I also use Parallels (not free though) and it works flawlessly.

6. riciad macrumors 6502

+another.

7. dcrichmond macrumors newbie

8. batotman macrumors 6502

I use Splashtop, Logmein, or Teamviewer to access my pc.

9. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

If I am in my house, I go physically to my iMac to use it. If I want to stream FROM my iMac to my Apple TV, I use my iPad via Air Video.

I have a pretty comfy computer set up, so no real reason to use my iPad for this. cool to know that you can though!

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Splashtop is as good as it gets. It's the only way I can watch Amazon Prime streaming movies.

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Wtf is up with the robotic narrator? So lazy these days that a real person couldnt talk about the product?

12. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

LMI Ignition user here. Also log into Windows servers, Macs, and Windows client machines. Really want an Ubuntu LMI to be available by default.

13. dell who? macrumors member

I think the iPad's ability to utilize this concept is the biggest factor that will allow it to keep changing the way we think about using a computer. Mark my words, iPads and remote desktop control will be the death of the laptop computer someday, and probably more sooner than later. If every person/household has a stationary computer/server to call upon and if internet access continues to become easier to call upon then the tablets/smartphones will become everything we could possibly ever need to take with us anywhere. No mystery that desktops are a better bang for your buck anyway, and also no mystery that the iPad does better with battery life/size/weight than almost every laptop the world has ever known. I sell Apple stuff for a living, and I am recommending an iPad/Mac Mini combo over a laptop to everyone who's willing to embrace where things are heading, and the biggest shock to people is that these two things combined can possibly end up costing less than even the entry-level Macbook Pro. Anyone who hasn't used their iPad for remote desktop control should definitely start now and get familiar with the concept.

14. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

How do you remote print with LogMeIn Free? I can see my desktop on my ipad but there is apparently some other way to remote print through the toolbar. any ideas? MBP and iPad 3.

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I do this every day of the week with iTeleport.

16. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

is splashtop secure? information is crypted or..?

17. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently PocketCloud™ allows you to view and manage Mac, PC and virtual Windows desktops on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch iOS, or Android devices.

PocketCloud is a*native iOS or Android app and features the advanced ease of use, security, and performance needed by mobile users on the go.

:apple:

18. caodapengtj macrumors member

I use LogMeIn all the time. Pretty reliable service.
    Never used anything else, cannot compare.

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

On the very infrequent times I need to do this, I use Logmein. Works fine for my needs, but I find myself using it less and less as time goes by.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

One size does not fit all. I use LogMeIn as many do and I still use my MBP.

21. dell who? macrumors member

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to say considering I didn't make mention of any specific RDC program. Use whichever one you like. If your comment is regarding people still choosing to buy laptops then I completely agree with you. People like having laptops because it's become familiar to us all. That doesn't make them any more relevant in the face of streamlined RDC functionality. As I stated previously, I'm encouraging people to consider moving forward without a laptop as often as they're open to the idea. The industry will evolve and certain things will become obsolete because that's how technology works. People can choose to embrace this notion early on, or they can hold out and have it forced upon them eventually. Why don't people still carry enormous cell phones? Why don't people still buy CRT screens? Why don't people still get around in horse-drawn carriages? :p
    Soon enough, this will be the case for laptop computers. Within a few years we'll all laugh about how we used to carry around such oversized devices when all we ever needed was an amazing tablet like the iPad.

22. adddictedtomac thread starter macrumors regular

It certainly seems that tablets are gaining popularity, may eventually replace laptops or even desktops; I think we will soon find out in the next 2-3 years!

23. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I've still not found a tablet to be good for content creation. I like to use QuickOffice HD for light editing documents and spreadsheets, but I could never use it for real core work. The gestures just don't work. Perhaps a mouse pointer would help a lot.

I've tried the various remote applications (Splashtop, GoToMyPC) but found them really slow and hard to use, even with a good connection. Kind of cool to experiment with, but useless in real life.

Eventually new ways to manage document creation will happen. Until then, I still have to rely on a laptop for serious work and I use the iPad primarily for media consumption.

24. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

Are any of these programs transmitting encrypted data? Would hate to open up an insecure path for whoever