Would you be happy if Apple uses Flash for the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

So there are some rumors that the new MBP will have SSD standard.

What do you guys think about it?

I personally don't like it, because I'd rather put my own SSD in it rather than overpriced Flash from Apple. :(

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

As long as prices don't mirror what they do for Apple's current SSD upgrades.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

As long as the price doesn't reflect it too much. Also I hope it is comparable in memory space.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Give it at least a year before SSD is standard, probably longer. To maintain their current profit margins on each computer, they would have to increase the prices quite a bit, which they don't want to do. On top of that, storage space is limited, and if you need 500GB, you'll have to pay a $1k premium that would be severely off-putting.

5. sebgreen macrumors regular

Do you mean like the new MacBook Air

I take it you mean an SSD like the new MacBook Air?

It's more of an SSB. Solid state board. SSD solid state drives are very expensive. Apples SSB os slightly cheaper already and other manufacturers have already started producing their own which are cheaper than apples.

I think it's a good thing. Solid state memory does not need the big enclosue that old spinning hard drives did. Apple have yet again innovated and I'm sure soon other manufactures will follow.

As with all new bits of kit, prices start high but will fall.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think Apple will do something like they did with the iMacs with the HDD + SSD combo

7. Argon21 macrumors member

I have dual 500 GB drives in my current (late 2006) MBP. I'm planning to buy the new MBP in spring 2011, and really want to go SSD at that time too. Hopefully the prices on the 512 GB SSD's are under $1k by then.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Just like the MacBook Air, they'll offer increasing large SSD options but won't switch to a default SSD until 128GB chips can offset the $180-200 price premium that they are charging over the 500GB platter drives. SSD drive prices get cut in half ever 12-16 months so it won't be long. Depending on when the next revision comes, it's possible, but don't count out a 500GB or 1TB platter option.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree with some other comments here ... SSDs are too pricey for Apple to make them Standard in the MBPs right now ... They did it on the Air because it is the Air (however IMO they are too small)

I think the new MBPs will be the same as they are now ... maybe Standard 320 or 500 GB with user ability to add SSD.

When SSDs come down in price, Apple will make them Standard ... just not on this next refresh. :cool:

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If Apple were to make the standard in a higher volume machine like the Pro it'd likely drive down the per-unit cost of the SSD-on-a-stick units. I'd love to see a pro machine with 2 or more of those sticks raided together for amazing speed...

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

then what do you think they mean when they say "the next generation of Macbooks"

im sure they dont only mean the high res. display.. or is this advertising?

12. cmzwirner macrumors newbie

Unless they went with a SSD/HDD combo.. Hell no. Plus apple's SSD's suck.

13. Emsmu macrumors newbie

what if apple did a hybrid option, where they attach about 32 gigs of flash the way the new MBA have them, and then have a separate hard drive. You could boot from the solid state chips and run a few of your applications through them, but store your media on another drive, like a lot of people do now that have dual hard drives.

14. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

You get, at least, x2 the performance over hdd's. It's not Sandforce or Intel SSD performance, but it's a lot better than standard-mechanical drives.

Unless Apple can offer 512GB at NONE-premium prices I don't see it happening.
    256GB drives are cutting it close in storage ...

15. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Problem with that is that if people need or want more storage, they would be forced to use external drives, as the SSD sticks are limited in storage and if those were used, there would be no way to use a hard drive.

It's part of Apple's advertising. It may be the start of the "next generation" but it's not likely that they actually meant that all of them would be like that for the next revision.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Toshiba are already selling the SSD sticks (although not at retail I admit). They will probably start making larger ones. So upgrades would be possible (if very expensive).

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I would be happy with it if there are two drive bays, and the first is for SSD, and the second is for a high-capacity (e.g. 1 TB) HDD.

And the SSD is the high-performance, high-longevity kind of SSD.

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

unless its a 250-500GB SSD then i dont see this happening ever. or atleast for another 5 years.

the macbook pros are for pro's, we cant use 60gb ssd and *****. so the only plausible thing for apple to do is for the os be stored on a TINY ssd and then include a real HDD in it for real stuff.

19. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

they will make it standard plus an option for a second conventional drive. Or something like the current iMac setup conventional standard SSD optional for the second drive

Say bye bye to the optical drive, the most useless part of a the current Macbook pro's IMPO

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

maybe they just put an open slot into the cheapest version of 13/15" and a hybrid SSD Card + standard HDD into the expensive ones by default.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Perhaps Apple can use a similar setup to what's on new MBA's, though with an upgradeable flash storage, plus a drive for us to put an additional SSD/HD in.

22. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple won't allow that Flash/SSD be replaced.

PhotoFast has Flash/SSD for the new MBA that is 30% faster than the Toshiba Flash that is the MBA, but Apple told them not to sell it, or they'll loose their license. So they won't put it on the market :(

We'll probably see the same thing if Apple decides to make SSD/Flash standard, vendor lock-in. Only Flash/SSD from Apple will be allowed, despite better products being available.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why should you (or anyone) be surprised. Apple has typically embraced the closed/proprietary interfaces when ever they can.

24. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

With the current and older MBP, we can replace HDD/SSD and RAM.

It's only on the MBA that Apple tells other companies besides Toshiba not to make Flash modules that are compatible for the MBA.

I'm afraid we're going to see the same trend if the MBP will be like the MBA.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Whatever happens, the optical drive will have to go. I'll give the optical drive 2 years max for the 13" MBP.