Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Seven or so years ago, I loved all these rumours and frantically bought almost every new Apple product. But in the last 1-2yrs I've become bored of all the endless rumours and have found I buy less (still have a 3GS, 2yr old MBA and no interest in the iPad).

And it dawned on me - do Apple manufacture all the leaks purely for advertising puposes? Apple are a very clever company and they must be aware of how much business rumours and speculation gets them.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
MR is just a website.
Nothing new in the idea of Apple spreading leaks and calculated indiscretions.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Arn owns MacRumors, but I would not be surprised to know that Apple executives probably have user accounts on this forum, to either spread rumors or seek customer feedback anonymously.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
What's ARN? Apple Rumour News??

I wan't suggesting Apple actually do own this site, but was asking if you would be surprised to learn that this was true. It makes sense to me.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Exactly. I knew the Mac platform was scheduled for decommissioning after :apple: changed their name. The Mac is living on borrowed time. I'm not a fan of the iOS platforms.

Oh please. It's a third of Apple's business. Apple's Macintosh business, on its own, would be ranked #110 on the Fortune 500 list. Apple's Mac sales have grown every quarter for 6 years and have outpaced PC growth for 20+ straight quarters. Borrowed time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I wan't suggesting Apple actually do own this site, but was asking if you would be surprised to learn that this was true. It makes sense to me.
Yes, I would be surprised. No, it doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps you should elaborate on your reasoning.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Exactly. I knew the Mac platform was scheduled for decommissioning after :apple: changed their name. The Mac is living on borrowed time. I'm not a fan of the iOS platforms.

Oh please. It's a third of Apple's business. Apple's Macintosh business, on its own, would be ranked #110 on the Fortune 500 list. Apple's Mac sales have grown every quarter for 6 years and have outpaced PC growth for 20+ straight quarters. Borrowed time. :rolleyes:

Precisely this ^^^. The Mac platform isn't going anywhere, considering its growth factor rdowns mentioned.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Aye, but what if Apple owned Arn himself? :eek:

That^^^

Or even scarier - does arn really exist!

Sure, someone uses the username arn. And somebody supposedly named Arnold Kim, writes front page articles. But, really, it could be Tim Cook, for all we know. What better way to seed rumors and gather crucial information essential to Apple's survival than to open a web forum called MacRumors - and then fool everyone by creating this mythical being...arn

Just think about this...have you ever seen Tim Cook and arn in the room TOGETHER!! Of course not, just like you never saw Superman and Clark Kent in the same room together.

Just think about it...:eek:

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm pretty sure that Apple does leak rumors to generate interest in their products. So no, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they "owned" MacRumors.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Precisely this ^^^. The Mac platform isn't going anywhere, considering its growth factor rdowns mentioned.

I hope the both of you are correct. It just seems to me that :apple: is more interested in promoting its iOS devices than Macs. The news and rumors regarding iPhones & iPads out number the Mac news and rumors by several orders. I kid you not, I saw someone who walked into an :apple: store and said, "I didn't know they sold computers."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.