Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
See my thread on this subject under "what stupid thing did you do today? "

Its out now and no stitches....:D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You know, i re-read that title and figured ppl might think i mean a different type of implant, but read on:

http://sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=22938

basically, a guy had an rdif chip implanted so he wouldn't ever have to worry about losing his car keys.

wow.

mmmm I don't think I would. Anybody could 'clone' my wireless signal without me even knowing. However, as ignorant as I am, they'd struggle to snatch keys out of my pocket (tight jeans, stops pick-pocketing, something I've been a victim of), so I think I'd stick with the keys.

However if it could be used for a recreational purpose, then I think it would be kinda cool. You could program in say, your musical taste, and have it alert you when you walk near somebody who shares the same taste as you...

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
So wait, if someone wants to steal my car, they have to hack my hands off first?

Sweeeeet.

yes.....
sweeeet....

I can see the news report. "Today two "armed" robbers stole a car."

It's not the implant that scares me, its the being tracked and somebody with a RFID scanner getting accesses to all my stuff

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Personally I'd love to just have a chip in me that deals with the hassle of locks and such and could theoretically do more than that. However, unless I was 100% sure that it couldn't be hacked or traced or some such thing, there's no way I'd get one.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
If there aren't health problems and the cost was minimal for the procedure then sure, i'd consider it. I do fine right now but it would be quite neat t o have a chip in your hand so you could just waive it and unlock a door :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
However, unless I was 100% sure that it couldn't be hacked or traced or some such thing, there's no way I'd get one.

So you'll never get one since no one will ever develop a computer that cannot be hacked or traced somehow. I would not get one either.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
See my thread on this subject under "what stupid thing did you do today? "

Its out now and no stitches....:D

I bet you're relieved. :) It could be worse though: the sort of things that i handle in syringes at work do a lot worse than set off store beepers, so i aim to stay away from the 'stupid thing' category if i can. :eek:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
This guy has had an implant for nearly 10 years.

Kevin Warwick

This is the question that Professor Kevin Warwick and his team at the the department of Cybernetics, University of Reading intend to answer with 'Project Cyborg'.

On Monday 24th August 1998, at 4:00pm, Professor Kevin Warwick underwent an operation to surgically implant a silicon chip transponder in his foream. Dr. George Boulous carried out the operation at Tilehurst Surgery, using local anaesthetic only.

This experiment allowed a computer to monitor Kevin Warwick as he moved through halls and offices of the Department of Cybernetics at the University of Reading, using a unique identifying signal emitted by the implanted chip. He could operate doors, lights, heaters and other computers without lifting a finger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.