Would you buy a 3Gs now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #1
    I know that the iPhone is usually refreshed in June or July but somebody I know has an original iPhone and is fed up with the sluggishness of daily tasks. If she were to buy a 3Gs now, how future proof would she be as fas as software updates? She doesn't really care about loosing out on newer hardware, but she just wants a fast iPhone that will stay fast even after newer software is released.
     
  2. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    I would recommend the iPhone 3GS to anyone until Mid March.
     
  3. Aldaris macrumors 68000

    Aldaris

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake
    #3
    Unless you need it...

    Unless you need it WAIT! You'll be kicking yourself when you get one and the third generation iPhone comes out and your locked out of any subsidiary price for at least the next 18 months... It's not worth it right now... just wait if at all possible!
     
  4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

    UngratefulNinja

    Joined:
    May 9, 2009
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #4
    I would agree. I think waiting 5-6 months is ridiculous if you need one now.
     
  5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

    Mystikal

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    Irvine, CA
    #5
    Well if apple makes a smaller iPad chip, the new iphone would be 2x as fast as a 3Gs...
     
  6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #6
    If my 3G died tomorrow (or - and this is not entirely unlikely - tonight), I'll go out and buy a 3GS immediately. No doubt about that.

    Now, on the other hand, if you have a functioning phone, I'd recommend waiting until the next generation is here. I think mr. Jobs has something very nice up his sleeve this Summer... ;)
     
  7. MacDawg macrumors Core

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #7
    If you need it now = buy
    If you don't need it now = wait

    It really isn't that hard

    Want ≠ need

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  8. Brazzan macrumors member

    Brazzan

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #8
    Are you sure about that? These are Apple products, after all!
     
  9. jbro1999 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    #9
    don't wait. There is always something new coming out, and waiting 5 months is redic. If mine died today I would also go out and get another 3GS. I wouldn't use a crappy phone until the new one comes out in June.
     
  10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana, US
    #10
    Wow, I am in the exact same situation and was about to ask the exact same question.

    I'm leaning towards upgrading now because I have an 8GB 1st-gen iPhone, and I've finally gotten to the point where I have too much music and can't fit a movie on there. Really at this point, there aren't any huge must-have features that I would be kicking myself on. The 3GS is already fast enough in my opinion.
     
  11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

    opinioncircle

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    #11
    I got an iPhone 3Gs about 2 weeks and half ago. Though the HUGE downside is the battery, I find it to be pretty good. I am still used to my good ol'E71, so for now, it's a transition time. I would def buy one now.
     
  12. chuongster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    #12
    Do it now...

    I would buy a 3GS right now if i can afford it...Apple is really good with their software updates too.
     
  13. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #13
    Yeah, but this is tricky. The question is about someone with a 1st-gen iPhone.

    If the person had no iPhone I'd say "Buy a 3GS now!" If they had a 3G phone I'd say "No way, wait until the new one this summer!"

    But this case is exactly halfway in the middle. Which way to go?

    If it were me, and I owned a first-gen iPhone, I think I'd hold out and wait for the new one. I mean, it's a bit slow but it IS an iPhone.
     
  14. thelatinist macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #14
    If my phone broke, I would definitely buy a new one, secure in the knowledge that I can sell it for more than I paid for it when the 4G comes out.
     
  15. bender o macrumors 6502

    bender o

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #15
    +1 on Want ≠ need, I currently have a 3G and I'm not buying I 3GS unless mine brokes down although I'm not that sure that Jobs will release something that'll blow everyone's mind but I'll still wait for it.
     
  16. chuongster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    #16
    It seem like the prices for the iphone is not going to drop anytime soon and its hard to find a cheap one off contract because you are stilling paying around 300-400. The best way to go is buy chinese knock off...lol joking. :p

    I think Small White Car is right. Your friend should wait until she gets a upgrade or wait for a price drop because cellphone technology is like running water (bad analogy btw) it's always changing and there will always be a newer iphone or cellphone.
     
  17. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

    Sleazy E

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    Location:
    Disneyland
    #17
    ummm no don't buy one right now!! They just announced the next iphone is receiving an A+ update. It is going to be way more of an upgrade then the 3gs was for the 3g. It will be available in the next 4 months most likely. That isn't that long of a wait.
     
  18. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    #18
    Buy it. When the new one comes out, if it is a lot better sell the 3gs and buy another one. That's what I'm gonna do.
     
  19. theiphoner macrumors member

    theiphoner

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    #19
    I was not going to upgrade to the 3gs from the 3g, however got a call yesterday from O2 giving me a free 16gb 3gs, 700 minutes, unlimited txt and the usual iphone extra's for £30 a month, so I done the upgrade, figured I will sell the 3gs in the summer if need be.
     
  20. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    #20
    That would be unapple like to give you an upgrade now that they can save for the next upgrade.
     
  21. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

    VenusianSky

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    #21
    I personally would wait, but as some recommended, you could get the 3gs now and sell it when the next one becomes available. Used iPhone's sell easily.
     
  22. boshii macrumors 68040

    boshii

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #22
    yup. i just bought a brand new one on craigslist for $450 because my 3G screen shattered.

    i plan on selling this one for more than $450 when the new one comes out.
     

Share This Page