Would You Buy A 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckinnie, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mckinnie macrumors newbie

I tried an iPhone 4...the proximity sensor issues and other random issues I had with the phone forced me to sell it. I'm a BlackBerry guy, but even then sometimes I wish I had an iPhone lying around for random use, games, and that way I have an all in one iPod/Phone device for my car.

I've been looking at 3Gs's on eBay. To me, this is the best iPhone yet. Like the design much better. Trusty and reliable.

Would you pay around 280-350 for a mint condition 3Gs on eBay even with the 4 out?

2. wiestlingjr macrumors member

I personally wouldn't. I know you already had the iPhone 4 and maybe had problems, but my iPhone 4 is flawless. It runs perfectly, and I have zero issues at all. Works just as great as my 3GS did. I just feel like why would you pay that much for a 3GS, when with an upgrade you could get one for 199.

If you could get a 3GS on craigslist for somewhere else for under 200, then I would go for it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 3GS is a nice iphone and pretty quick but not as good as the i4 IMO.
    If you want one go for it, you wont find any in decent shape for under $200 though.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't buy a 3Gs. When the next version of iOS is released, the 3Gs probably won't support all of the new features.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doesn't really matter what WE would do, what do YOU want to do

Most of us are very happy with our iP4, so we would not
    You were not happy, yet still want an iPhone
    It is a great phone, and I never had a problem with mine
    My GF has it now and loves it

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I wouldn't pay that much for the 3GS, especially when you can get a 4 for either a little more or less (depending on your upgrade situation). I'm not sure when you had your 4, but I think all the problems are pretty much gone by now. Mine had the prox problem but the update fixed it. The display and front facing camera are more than worth it. Especially if it's not going to be your only phone.

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agree. The 3GS has already been out for a year and a half. I use my iPhone 4 with a bumper and screen protectors, couldn't love it more.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you really want a 3GS, you can still buy one from Apple directly for $99 and get an 8GB version.

9. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Buy one from craig list like most have mentioned and wait till the next generation iphone comes out in summer of 2011.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 3GS, I see no reason to upgrade to the iPhone 4. If I do upgrade any time soon, it'll be to some sort of Android phone.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

My fiancee and I are very pleased with the 3GS. I took 28 days with the iPhone 4 and then went on eBay and paid $280 and $310 for iPhone 3GS's. Everything is snappy and I do not miss the retina display.

The primary reason we did this was to be out of contract for iPhone 5/Verizon. My theory is that AT&T is past the early upgrade option and will make iPhone 4 owners wait until December 2011 to upgrade.

12. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Nope, after spending time with my iPhone 4 screen the 3GS screen just isn't the same anymore ;)

13. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

i gave my 3Gs to my lil sis everytime i look at the screen i see squares :eek:

still runs good...but 5.0 iOS maybe will see it get slow..

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I still do not understand this argument. Sure for a week I noticed the pixels. These days I USE my 3GS rather than scrutinizing pixel size. I don't even think about it til a thread comes up.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I looked at the iPhone 4 in the Apple store a couple of weeks ago and for sure the display was very nice, but I wasn't blown away by it compared to my 3GS. Just as the poster above me said, I use my 3GS and don't scrutinize the pixels. There wasn't anything Earth shattering in the 4 that I "just had to have" so I am holding on to my 3GS until the iPhone 5 comes out.

16. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Yes, but the same argument can be said for the reverse: if you spent time getting used to the size of the pixels on the iPhone 4, you'd say the 3GS screen isn't as clear. This is what we are saying ;)

17. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

A year ago.

Me and my buddy at work were showing each other different videos on YouTube and the noticeable difference was on the 4, he has a 3GS - but he got that on launch day last year (still nice phone though). Very clear and bright. I don't know why people would want to buy old tech...

18. RobinHo0d macrumors member

Mint or new condition iPhone 3GS is more like 400-450..

I just sold my scratched up used 3GS 16gb on eBay for 335 so I don't think you'll find a nice one for that price.

And yes I'd buy a 3GS if I didn't like my 4.

19. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy a 3GS on contract, but a good used one can be a great deal if the price is right.

20. Nippur macrumors newbie

21. AimeeLarry macrumors newbie

22. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

WOuld I buy an iPhone 3Gs?

No. Not a chance.

I am always baffled by all these people complaining about it having issues. What issues? My iPhone 4 is perfect.

Honestly, I think you should just get an Android phone.

I was a Blackberry user also. After the iPhone 4, I will never touch a Blackberry again.

23. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. I'm really loving the 720p video with the iP4, the retina display, flash on the camera and FaceTime. I keep my 3GS for almost a month after I bought my iP4 and after the 1st knew I wasnt going to use it again.

TS why don't you get another iP4? With 4.1 update Apple fixed the proximity sensor issue.

24. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

they barely did.

still comes and goes ;)