Would you buy a MacBook Pro now (July 07)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unsmashed, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. unsmashed macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #1
    I want to buy a MacBook Pro (15inch, 2.2Ghz). I'm just not sure that the timing is right.

    It seems there are a lot of screen issues (Flicker, Yellow Tint) - but maybe these are the vocal few.

    In addition, buying now I'm spending another $130 once Leopard gets released.

    Will the MacBooks get a slimmer version soon? (http://crunchgear.com/2007/06/20/rumor-macbooks-slim-down-in-september/) - or is that just MacBooks (and a rumor anyways).

    Would you buy now?
     
  2. mach macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #2
    I'm waiting until October for Leopard to come on it pre-loaded and in hopes that these issues will be fixed, along with a hardware bump (faster processors and bigger Hard Drives, hopefully).
     
  3. roker macrumors regular

    roker

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #3
    I am buying now- (a 2.2Ghz MBP) because there is always going to be something better just around the corner, & there is always going to be the next model up, which if you just waited a bit longer you could get (if you know what I mean).

    I started planning on getting the base MB, then mid MB, which soon became the Black MB, & 3 days ago I ordered my MBP (which I'm still waiting for).

    I only waited & saved longer because waiting wasn't an issue.
     
  4. unsmashed thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #4
    Another thing on the horizon is the SSD (solid state drives) replacing hard drives, or at least providing the boot partition. Anyone know if these will make it into the October cut (is there an October release/refresh of MBP?)

    I understand there's always something upcoming - it just seems like there are a lot of significant issues, and emerging, core changing technologies on the horizon that seem to be in the rumor mill.

    This purchase has definately been the most researched decision I've ever made!!
     
  5. john roolz a lo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #5
    I'm waiting for the 17'' LED + HD upgrade bump.
    IDK if SSD is the answer at the moment.
    The hybrid hd's with flash show promise for the near future.
    A new superdrive next january or june should include blu ray + hd dvd or whoever ''wins''.
     
  6. BlueArctos macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #6
    I understand your plight, I'm in a very similar position. Honestly, the only thing I can think of Apple upgrading in the Macbook Pros in October would possibly be an option for solid state drives. I consider this highly unlikely.

    It is more likely the only upgrade will occur in December or January with the introduction of Penryn Core 2 Duos. But, if you wait long enough for THAT you might as well wait for DDR3 memory in laptops. And then when you do THAT you might as well wait for the next videocard edition. And if you do THAT you might as well wait for Intel's Nalihiem or AMDs Fusion. Now is a good time to buy. There will ALWAYS be something better coming out in 3 months from whenever you decide to buy. If there is anything wrong with your computer, just get it replaced until it is right.

    I'm going to try and order something this week, once I am done deciding between Matte or Glossy. GEEZ, I never thought Matte vs Glossy would take me so long to decide!!
     
  7. Aranince macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
  8. unsmashed thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #8
    What are you deciding between for the Matte vs Glossy decision? I had doubts too, but once I saw the two side by side, it was no question for me - Matte is the way to go.

    Good info BlueArctos.

    There is one consistent thing I've seen across all the complaints - which is the stance that Apple seems to be fine with replacing their products with a new version if its not working. I think that stance will help me put aside the yellow tint problem, knowing that I'll eventually get a unit that is perfect.
     
  9. BenHoleton macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #9
    I'm waiting till 2012 till i can get my 8 in" ultra portbale mbp with 16 cores, 50 gb ram, and a 1tb flash drive, preinstalled with liger
     
  10. BenHoleton macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #10
    actually, i'm buying in about a week. a 2.2 ghz mbp!
     
  11. iToaster macrumors 68000

    iToaster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Location:
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    #11
    Just got my 2.4 15" the other day. It's perfect. Buy it now, then you'll have it, and they'll always be something better just around the corner, you'll kick yourself for not waiting, but if you wait for a better one, you'll never get one.
     
  12. sfisher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    #12
    Buy now! I will be buying a MBP later this month. I know what it's like wanting to wait for the next jump, but you'll wait forever. I bought my iBook not even 3 weeks before they released an upgraded version, but mine is still great.
     
  13. BrandonMatt0718 macrumors member

    BrandonMatt0718

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    New York
    #13
    Exactly buy now. I was the same way I wanted to wait, wait and wait for the next innovative computer hardware and with Apple that's a never ending story so just go with what's out because if not you'll we waiting FOREVER.:cool:
     
  14. Matto1020 macrumors member

    Matto1020

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #14
    What's a liger?;)
     
  15. thebrain74 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #15
    I just got my new MBP 2.2 and I just want to say that it is great. I'm typing on it right now and its the best computer I've ever had. I have zero issues, no yellow, flickering, blah blah blah. It gets a little warm, but it is comparable to a MB and I think actually cooler when doing mundane tasks. It really isn't neccassary IMO to wait for a revision, the current one is very powerful and just underwent probably the most substantial update since the transition to intel procs, so IMO a good time to buy (or after Leopard, of course).
     
  16. grabbies200 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    sf
    #17
    new macbook pro temperature question

    hello, i received this week my new 15" mbp and i have a question about temperature. i always used pc hardware an this is my fisrst mac experience. my question is what is a temperature for the graphic processor under regular use (meaning a web browser and a terminal). i get to stay on 60 to 70 C and it seems way too high since it is not getting used at all. the cpu stay in the 60C range.
    out of desperation i already set my fans to go at 3500 rpm by default. with the new setting the cpu stay at 50 C and the gpu at 56 C and the wireless module at 58 C. is this normal? is this suppose to be a feature to warm my house in the winter? please help.
     
  17. maikuuni macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #18
    If you don't need it right away, wait until Leopard to come on it pre-installed. Or maybe next MBP revision since some people are having problems with the new LED LCD.
     
  18. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #19
    Now is as good a time as any. Each generation of MacBook Pro has had its own particular technical problems, and I doubt that's going to magically end with the "next update" or anything. Just cross your fingers and toes that when your MacBook Pro arrives it's perfect. :)
     
  19. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #20
    I should think that by now most of the bugs have been ironed out.

    Buy now. You won't regret it.

    There won't be another update until early next year. How do I know this? The MBP already uses the best parts, and better parts won't be available until next year (Penryn).
     
  20. paleck macrumors 6502a

    paleck

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    with the Tequila!
    #21
    If it helps your decision at all. I just ordered a 17" MBP Hi-Res Widescreen. My reasoning is that I could wait and wait and there would always be something new that will be released eventually. I need it now and it made sense for me to buy it now.:cool:
     
  21. roker macrumors regular

    roker

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #22
    It's probably my favourite animal...;)
     
  22. pasquazzo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    #23
    In your opinion is there any chance that the issues (esp. heat due to poor thermal paste application) will be solved by Apple in the next few weeks?
    I think I remember for the previous (or was it the 1st?) generation of MBPs there were issues that were somehow solved as they were flagged by users.
    It may be worth waiting a month or so, then.
     
  23. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #24
    I don't think there will be a speed bumb in October if there is it will be tiny.

    If money is that tight then wait and get leopard for free.

    But if worse comes to worse and leopard gets delayed till january then what would you do ?
     
  24. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

    SirCrumpet

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    #25
    Buy now - Its just recently been updated and you'll never be happy if you are always looking around the corner...
     

Share This Page