Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
the ipod promo is going to be discontinued in sept. so people who are waiting for oct. updates will no longer be able to use that promo. however you can get student discounts. apple has been having that since forever.

If you want to take advantage of the iPod promo you should buy now. It's $200 off an iPod, and with your student discount Leopard will be like $70. You'll save $130 by buying now - that is, if you're doing the iPod thing. If not, Leopard is still cheap, I'd rather pay $70 in October and use my new computer all summer long.

woah , the mbps just got major updates. it would be foolish to wait now, even for leopard. leopard will be cheap w/ student discount...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
If you need to upgrade now, then upgrade now. If you don't need to, and don't want any of the current offers, why not wait for Leopard? At least you know you'll be saving the cost of it. That's what I'm doing.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
apple are going to shoot themselves in the foot eventually when they get to cheetah, as there is no faster land animal.
they are going to have to revert to Apple OSX Panda.

TelaMoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Question about Macbook Pro

I have to buy a new computer but read in this thread that Leopard is being released in October. Being a few weeks away, I can hold off purchasing a new Macbook Pro. What else will be included in the October Macbook Pro models and will prices be the same?

Also, is it better to go to an Apple store and buy in store or purchase online?

Thank you

illicium

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
My July '07 MBP

I have no idea where you are located, but I went to the Apple Store in The Woodlands (Houston, TX) YESTERDAY (9/12/07) and bought the exact model you are talking about. I even talked to the representative there about the yellow screen problems and my concern that I might be one of the unlucky few. She went and asked around the store and not a single person there had even heard of the yellowing and things of that sort. They have never had one returned or repaired at that particular store with these problems. She was even going to let me turn mine on in the store to check it out before I left. (because I live about 75 miles away) I trusted her word that they have had no problems at that store and I took mine home untested.

When I got home and took it out of the box, everything was as I would expect. No misaligned keys or screen, no yellowing of the screen, no flickering, JUST PLAIN APPLE PERFECTION. I couldn't be happier.

You just have to keep in mind that you aren't going to find people raving about how problem free their new purchases are on message boards. You are always going to find the people that are angry and want somewhere to vent.

I for one had a great experience yesterday buying, and setting up my new MBP.

I recommend going ahead and getting the MBP now if you really want it. If you can go to an Apple Store, even better. Talk to your sales person about it, and if you are really concerned, have them open it and boot it up and check it out right there before you leave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.