Would you buy a MBP again ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macenied, Oct 21, 2014.

1. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Hi,

I guess my situation is not uncommon ... I want to buy a new laptop soon and I want to run OS X and Windows on it.

Now, I love my MBP because it is very well built of quality components and it is the best laptop I ever had ...

BUT

at the same time I hate this thing. It is full of restrictions made by Apple when it comes to other operating systems. EFI, booting, USB, device drivers, etc. It's also fully depending on Apple's lifecycle management and Apple tends to phase out systems from support quite early, some of them in less than 4 years.

Now, would you buy an "Open System" and run OS X somehow without restrictions to other OS's or would you buy an Apple again and try to find a way for your other OS's. I don't know.

Appreciate your feedback.

2. mcarling macrumors 65816

I would buy Apple again

I intend to buy another rMBP as soon as Thunderbolt 3 and Displayport 1.3 are supported.

I prefer Apple's policy of aggressively phasing out obsolete technology. For example, Apple quickly phased out serial and parallel ports after introducing USB while the Microsoft / PeeCee world kept serial and parallel ports for about ten years after USB was introduced. Maintaining excessive backwards compatibility limits forward progress and increases hardware and software complexity.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'm on my third MBP. There's nothing better for my needs out there. Macs run other OS's better than trying to force OS X onto third party hardware.

As for out of support - the majority of Macs from 2008/2009 are supported for Yosemite.

4. macenied, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

Thank you for your reply. I own a mid 2010 MBP 13" ( model 7.1 ) which is already out of support for Windows 8/8.1. Not that I love Windows so much or that I cannot find a way to install it anyways, it's simply out of support and the OS is just 2 years old. I have no choice, I need Windows.

I cannot run my SSD on AHCI in Windows, Apple does not want that I do. Noticeable disk performance decrease is the consequence. OS X even does not support TRIM for my SSD because it's not from Apple. I cannot boot 64-bit EFI Operating Systems from USB or DVD to install or whatever reason, Apple does not want me to do this. I load latest device drivers from companies like Nvidia, they do not work, only Apple device drivers work. The list is long and this really annoys me.

5. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

[​IMG]
    once MBP,always MBP for me...
    and not any MBP but the top. of the range.

full future proof machine.

using it 6 years,waiting for the broadwell MBP

6. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

I agree 100%

But a quite restricted machine as well. So waiting for broadwell and living with compromises and patching again ?

7. mcarling macrumors 65816

I could live with a 2008 MBP -- except for the lack of a Retina display. I sold my 2010 15" MBP and my 2011 MBA and bought an early-2013 rMBP. One of the best purchasing decisions I ever made -- except that I should have done it as soon as the first rMBP became available in 2012.

8. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

That depends on your needs I really don't know the work you have to do with your MacBook Pro

I'm lucky enough to not need special applications and rare programs to do my work

Why don't you buy something new and using it with 2 OS ?Mac and windozz :)

I feel is time to upgrade too... nice machines you have though

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It wasn't clear that you were referring to Windows support in the OP. There is no undertaking that I'm aware of from Apple for anything past the initial support offered for Boot Camp.

It's not just Apple to be fair - our pre-2011 Lenovo ThinkPads at work won't work properly with Windows 8 - there is no driver support for various bits of hardware past Windows 7.

Unless you need direct hardware access, virtualisation is probably the best route for multiple OS.

10. deathdruid macrumors member

Is your beef really with Apple then? I think that expecting Apple to support a third-party OS is not really appropriate. For example, modern versions of Linux probably run fine on old PowerPC iBooks: I don't think Apple should get credit for that, just as they should not get credit for Windows 8/8.1 not working.

11. wickoo macrumors member

No doubt I would! I own a 15" rMBP with 750M.

Actually you can run Windows natively in UEFI since the late 2013 MacBooks. I'm doing it right now. It supports AHCI, both GPUs with switching between them and nvidia.com drivers work flawlessly. You're no longer limited at all.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I've had mine for 3yrs (mid '09 model, bought it used) and just last week upgraded with an SSD and 8GB of RAM is coming in the mail today. it was a great machine before and even better/faster now.

My next one will definitely be a retina model.

13. leman macrumors 604

I haven't yet found any better laptop on the market yet, so clear yes from me. Didn't notice any restrictions of the kind you mention.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Maybe not

I have a 2013 13 inch rMBP and I love it it is fast fluid and the screen is amazing, my 2010 13 inch is still running perfectly with an ssd for my brother for whom it is his main machine.

I would only say no because I don't really need portability anymore, so an i mac for me next time, I really like the look of those 5k iMacs that have just come out.

15. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My late 08 mbp just died recently and I'm debating whether to repair it or replace it. Either way the money I'll spend is 100% worth it. I've never had problems with restrictions or limitations.

16. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Can OS X run as a virtual machine on a non-Apple pc (I'm not suggesting anything illegal here, by the way).

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I won't be getting another MBP when this one is done. I wasn't even shopping for a MBP, but this was a very good deal from a local small business. The build quality is excellent, but I need to get away from Broadcom wireless chipsets and avoid NVIDIA GPUs. I'm thinking of a ThinkPad next.

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not legally. EULA states it can only be run on Apple branded hardware last time I checked. You can virtualise OS X 10.7 or above on supported Apple hardware using VMware/Parallels for software testing etc.

More here.

19. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

In that case, then I would buy another MBP. Although I am not happy about Apple's path towards no user upgradable parts, I also have no intention of going back to Windows anytime soon.

20. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

I bought my MacBook Pro because of it's build quality and because of the capability to run Windows on it as well.

I still love to work with it, however as of now I am not convinced to buy a MBP again, due to artificial incompatibilties created by Apple. I want to be able to use software and functionality I like or need, not what Apple likes.

Now, I read here that newer MBP's seem to be not that restricted compared to my MBP. I will carefully test this before purchase in case my next laptop will be a MBP again.

21. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

After testing Windows 10 tech preview, I ordered a new 15" rMBP to replace the Asus Zenbook I bought in May to replace my 2011 MBP.

Microsoft has their head up their behinds, and driving Windows into the ground at full speed.

So, yes, I would buy a MBP again. Workstation class performance in a laptop.

22. savagewatts macrumors regular

Mbp

Just bought my spruced up 2014. Love it and will buy another in three years.

23. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im planning on getting a new one too and just work my other OS's around it. The thing about macbooks is that even old, they have a great resale value compared to non-macs. So when you get a new one, selling the old one will get you significant funds toward the new one.

Im waiting on the 12" rMBA or the next gen 13" rMBP to try out. Id really like an iPad Pro with OSX, but despite the rumors, I dont think this will happen anytime soon.

24. mcarling macrumors 65816

Within a year or two, there won't be anymore discrete GPUs in rMBPs, so soon any need to avoid Nvidia GPUs will not be a reason to avoid Mac. Already, four out of five standard rMBP configurations do not include a discrete GPU.

25. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

In the past 6 years or so I have made 3 tech changes that increased both myself and my spouse's productivity tremendously with each change.

1. Dual monitors on our Windows desktop computers.

2. Switched to iMacs 3 years ago.

3. Switched to Retina MacBook Pros a couple of months ago. Being able to use the Macs anywhere has made our work much more pleasant. So yes we would buy MacBook Pros again.