Would you buy a non Intel Mac anymore?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seattle, Apr 6, 2008.

1. seattle macrumors 6502

I have been checking craigslist for G5s and wonder if it is even worth it to get a non Intel Mac anymore. I have no old programs that I need or want to run so software is not an issue for me.

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I would only buy a PPC if I had a specific use for it or it was a great price. It will become more and more obsolete with each passing year.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

For your use, no. Intel is the way to go.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have to keep a PPC Mac on hand to drive my Epson SC3000, as Epson have not deigned to release an Intel driver, and a new A2 printer will cost me over £1,000.

5. seattle thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like an expensive upgrade. I guess I would keep a old Mac too. Thanks for the feedback everyone and I guess I do not need a G5.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

At this point, I think it makes more sense to invest in a Mac Mini than any PowerPC based Mac...

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Powermac G5's still go for nearly £1k, for that I would just get a new iMac.

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Only if it was cheap and I had some use for it (like screwing around on, you know, just having fun). For most practical uses (i.e. I'm in the market for a new computer), just stick with Intel, as that is where Apple's direction is headed.

9. munckee macrumors 65816

I bought a 12" powerbook recently (got a really good price) with the intent of reselling it. But once I got my hands on it, I'm not sure that I want to get rid of it. I'm actually considering reshuffling my entire collection in the interest of keeping the 12" as a portable. I'm sure eventually it'll get traded out for an Air, but until then...

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My thoughts?

There's no way I would buy a G5. All the ones I have worked on (30+?) have had some odd issue or another, particularly the iMacs. If I had to go PPC, I would go with a G4, MDD or Al PowerBook. For the most part, the G4s have been very solid. My MDD here at work is still my primary Desktop, and my (upgraded) Quicksilver '01 is still my primary Desktop Mac at home.

But.. at this point, there's no way I would go with anything that wasn't Intel. I already feel all my PPC Macs getting long in the tooth. As I've gotten used to the speed of the Intel Macs, and Tiger/Leopard on Intel Macs, it becomes more and more frustrating to work on PPC Macs. An issue that won't get any better with time.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you tried using opensource drivers?
    Gutenprint 5.1 works quite well although some of the printer settings windows look different, however it does support your printer and is a Universal Binary. You may also try adding USBTB on the same page to improve performance of printing when using the Gutenprint driver. You can also look up just about any printer made here.

Personally I use hpijs to connect via network to my HP Officejet 3110 being shared by a Windows PC, since HP makes USB only Mac drivers, hpijs mostly supports HP Printers and a few Epsons but yours was not on the list.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have a G4 to run the old Classic apps when needed. Apart from that, it's Intel all the way.

13. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I am actually looking to pick up an eMac for my parents. All they do is surf or read mail and they want an all-in-one with a big screen (they are in their 80's) so it would be worth it if I could get a late model eMac for $250 or so.

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

older games that I have and would like to play again.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

Maybe a powerbook as I have a soft spot for those, if I need a simple laptop but I use my ibook for that now.

Also I occasionaly use fontographer which is OS9 only

17. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

unless you need specialized PPC software, there's not much sense in getting a PPC unless it's a lot cheaper. The only PPC machine that I know of that's still competitive with the newer machines are the 12" powerbooks. They are insanely portable and one of the best notebook designs Apple has had (obviously count the Air out of that).

18. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

personally I'm trying to find a iMac G4 simply to use as an office computer (just because they look nice!).
    Other than that, there isn't much use for it unless you're running apps for PPC specifically. Even then though, Intels can do it through rosetta.

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Nope. The current c2d processors will give you at least 4+ years out of any machine on the market. That's 4+ years more than you'll get out of any PPC machine.

20. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'd bet that the slowest Macbook C2D spanks the fastest G5 in most tests.

21. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

If I was rolling in money, I'd purchase an iMac G4 just because it's so damn beautiful.

22. seattle thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have one of those. I was just thinking about getting a G5 Mac too.

23. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

It really comes down to what you are doing with your Mac. Since you've got an iMac G4, what else would you consider? Personally, I would look at Intel Macs. My MacBook runs circles around my old eMac 1.25GHz, and it's only 3 1/2 years old.

24. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Gah, you beat me to it. If I had to buy any PPC Mac, I'd get the 20" iMac G4. :D

25. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

i'll third that!