Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a thicker iPhone if it meant a larger battery?

• Yes, a few mm thicker wouldn't be a problem

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • No, I like my iPhone to be as thin as possible

Votes: 16 12.0%

• Total voters

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
If it meant having a larger battery, as well as being more durable? Or do you want your phones as thin as possible?

Apple seems to have the mindset that the thinner a device is, the better, and they feel consumers would rather sacrifice longer battery life, having a camera bump, etc. to make it as thin as possible.

For me, I would rather the phone be 1-2mm thicker to get rid of the camera bump, and to allow for a larger battery.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
If it meant having a larger battery, as well as being more durable? Or do you want your phones as thin as possible?

Apple seems to have the mindset that the thinner a device is, the better, and they feel consumers would rather sacrifice longer battery life, having a camera bump, etc. to make it as thin as possible.

For me, I would rather the phone be 1-2mm thicker to get rid of the camera bump, and to allow for a larger battery.
I have spoken with people who study battery tech, as well as with Apple support, and the consensus seems to be that larger battery size does not always equate to longer battery life.

The battery on my iPad Air 2 is larger than the battery on my iPhone 6, and my iPad Air 2 has yet to be able to outlast my iPhone 6 despite performing the same tasks.

I have been averaging 30 hours per charge on my 4s, 5, 5s and 6.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Rumor has it that it will be made out of a slightly thicker and stronger aluminum alloy. I am betting the camera still protrudes.

Hope Apple finds that thinner is not always better!

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The battery on my iPad Air 2 is larger than the battery on my iPhone 6, and my iPad Air 2 has yet to be able to outlast my iPhone 6 despite performing the same tasks.

The iPad Air 2 also has a much larger screen to power, a triple core CPU instead of a dual core CPU and more RAM. If the phone was a little thicker that would increase the battery capacity and improve battery life.

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
I don't think I would buy one but I can defiantly see why people might. back when I had a iPhone 4/5 the thicker phone just felt stronger. With the iPhone 6 it feels like I'm going to break it if I set it down too hard. And the camera can get annoying sticking out of the back like that. But I'm so used to how thin the device is and it feels so good in the hand I just couldnt see myself going back to something thicker.

Reactions: ABC5S

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have spoken with people who study battery tech, as well as with Apple support, and the consensus seems to be that larger battery size does not always equate to longer battery life.

You must have a defective battery if your phone is outlasting the tablet...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Not fussed if it's thicker to be honest. It could be a 5.5" retina version of the original and I would still buy it. Lol

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

That's not a fair comparison, especially because of the screen size difference. All else being equal, a larger battery means longer usage between charges.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Only if it was to allow for a larger battery.

Currently battery life isn't so short as to be a deal breaker, but it would certainly be nice to have longer life.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I know a lot of people went with the 6+ because it had a much larger battery. I bet if the 6 didn't have a significantly smaller batter than the 6+, a lot of people would have gone for that instead.

Reactions: 5105973

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
I voted yes, because it really wouldn't be a problem for me, though I also like my iPhone to be as thin as possible (I mean, to a certain extent- everyone has a "limit"). So, would I buy a thicker iPhone that inherently then has a bigger/longer lasting battery- yes. However- if it were "optional" - if there were an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 6SXL (let's call it for the heck of it, and ignore the would-be iPhone 6S+ and 6S+XL), where the former is thinner/same battery as current 6 model and the latter were a few mm thicker with the battery life of the current 6+ in the size of the 6/6S, I may still opt for the thinner iPhone. Battery life just is not much of a concern for me is the point of this all in the end. ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It wouldn't bother me if the iPhone was thicker as I'd still buy it. I don't think too hard about the thickness when I am buying a phone. The surface size has more of an impact which is why I wouldn't buy a 5"+ device.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
You must have a defective battery if your phone is outlasting the tablet...
That's what I thought too, but speaking to more than one Apple support rep yielded the information that "larger battery size does not equate to longer battery life". There are many other factors and size is lower on that list of factors than most people realize.. or care to admit.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
No. I'd use a battery pack if I have to.
I'm sure you mean an additional accessory to carry with you when your battery dies, rather than a bulky battery case right? That makes so much more sense.

I could care less about adding battery life, I try to stay prepared. I simply want a flush camera again. Yep. I'm worried about the aesthetic. And these damned antenna breaks. Gag. From time to time, I go without a case. For about 20 mins, and then I can't take it anymore.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
That's what I thought too, but speaking to more than one Apple support rep yielded the information that "larger battery size does not equate to longer battery life". There are many other factors and size is lower on that list of factors than most people realize.. or care to admit.
But that's comparing apples to oranges. If you stick a larger battery in the same device, you'll get longer battery life. End of.

Of course, how long the battery lasts depends on the things it has to power, but if you don't change anything else, then a larger battery will give you longer battery life.

For what it's worth, I'm perfectly happy with the battery life on the iPhone 6 Plus and wouldn't really want to see it get any heavier for the sake of a tiny bit more battery life (don't really mind thicker, but you can't really have one without the other).

ProtectoBrand

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I think the latest iphone is already fine. Although, the battery life depends on how you use your iphone. If you know how to use your iphone well, you're battery will just be all fine. Regardless of having an epic battery life or not, taking extra care of the iphone makes a difference.

So, same thickness, or change of style, I think it is all just fine :)

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Thicker and more durable material I want to see from Apple. What do design awards matter when it results in products that are impractical for the job at hand, or that require cases and covers to overcome damage or handling difficulties? It reminds me of those designer chairs that look cool but deliver a back ache to the user.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I would love it if they went back to the thickness of the 4/4S and put a better battery in. The newer iPhones aren't bad, and the newer hardware makes it worth it, but from a thickness perspective the 4 and 4S were about right.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, I would. Once I put a case on my iPhone 6 (6.9mm), it increases to roughly 7.2mm or so. As long as it stays under 9mm, I'm fine. Apple would never do that, though.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No. Keep it as thin or thinner and lighter and stronger.

If Apple could they would as they love thin but I suggest that the occasional bending has made them change. I think it is for the good. I do not care about the antenna lines as my Sedio Surface case covers them nor the protrucpding camera. My battery is fine and I have never bent my phone. I will take a little thicker just to make it more structurally sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.