Would you buy an Apple Clone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 204467, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Would you buy an Apple Clone?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

67 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Only if I got sick of waiting for Apple to refresh a line with something good

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Would you buy an Apple Clone? The clone, of course, is offered at a much lower price than a genuine Apple computer. However, it has the exact same OS and the same stuff pre-installed on it (so you don't have to buy iLife again). It could be bought from any computer retailer that decides to make one. Plus, many of them look as good, if not better, than other Apple computers (this is, of course, a matter of pure opinion). Plus again, many of them are better equipped than real Apple computers hardware wise. Voice your opinions below.

2. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

I wouldn't personally. I think the apple support is worth the extra money. And if I wanted a hackintosh I'd build it myself. That being said, I do think that companies should be able to legally manufacture clones and that consumers should be able to decide for themselves if a clone is a worthwhile investment.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Nah, I'd want an authentic apple machine. Part of what makes apple is the hardware/software combination, if I got non-apple hardware I'd run linux on it, or something.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why does it have to be a lower price? :confused:

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

While in Cannes last week I saw someone using a fake iPhone. She seemed quite happy with it.

7. Dedic8d2hockey macrumors newbie

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ignorance is bliss.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I brought a Power 100 back in the clone days. I'd get another clone IF (big IF), if it offered 2x the bang for the buck like the Power Computing machine did. It had a faster processor, a better video card, more expansion slots, easier to open and upgrade AND cost less than Apple's top machine at the time, the 8100.
    Now if someone offered a clone (no hack required) sporting a quad core processor, top grade video card, Blu-ray for under $1500; I'd snap one up in a heart beat. That's definity 2x better bang for the buck. I wouldn't give a rat's patoot if it was ugly since it'd be hidden under my desk most of the time.

10. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

That, plus the French aren't that bright...

11. gonyr macrumors 6502

I think I would. It seems like you're talking about something along the lines of a prebuilt hackintosh with some sort of guarantee that it would work. I've been thinking about building one for a while, but haven't ever really gotten going on it. If I could just order one (legally) online, I'd strongly consider it, if only to save time and effort.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

That would not happen though would it. A computer identical to a Mac offered at a lower price. Care to substantiate those claims?

13. Rmafive macrumors 6502

The good thing about a mac clone is they are very easy to upgrade, all you need are special drivers. If you look online you can find a lot of tutorials on how to make one yourself, also. My answer has to be yes! :)

14. 7031 macrumors 6502

You could easily build a computer with the specs of an iMac for nearly half the price.

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Again, care to substantiate those claims?

16. pinktank macrumors 6502

17. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Didn't bother to look for part's matching an iMac, more like an MacPro light or the mystical xMac :p

MoBo:Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 111€
    Proc: Q9450 2.66 GHz 250€
    RAM: MDT 4x2048MB PC6400 138€
    GFX: Sapphire 3870 512MMB GDDR4 95€
    PS: BE Quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 450Watt 75€
    HDD: Seagate 750GB (ST3750330NS) 99€
    Optical: LG GGC-H20L Reads BluRay/HDDVD writes CD&DVD 99€
    CPU HSF: OneUlike 65€
    Case: OneUlike 180€
    IO: Apple Mice + Keyboard 118€
    =1335€

I did take "consumer prices" if someone legitimate would sell this for say 1450-1500€ why not?

18. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If I wanted a computer with a mess of slapped together off-the-shelf parts, I'd just build one myself, whether running Windows or Mac OS. The reason OS X "just works" is that Apple only has to support minimal specific hardware combinations. Once the OS was opened up to infinite hardware possibilities the way Windows is, it would also be open to infinite incompatibilities. That's the main reason I finally quit building my own PCs, the time and effort I invested in researching hardware combinations and doing price comparisons outweighed the savings of the DIY method.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There's no FW800 with that rig.

Point being, it is probably impossible to build a system that matches a Mac exactly. So, the builder ends up making judgement calls about what to include / not include. And that's where the exact spec / price argument gets thrown out the window. Plus, you are forgetting to take into account the qualitative factors, things which are not so easily quantified, but are very important to the overall experience.

20. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Erm, in one sentence you wrote you would build it (a clone) yourself instead from buying it pre built, in another you express that building a computer yourself is too much hassle. How does that fit?

Probably "Apple certified" clones would/could be limited to a hand full of supported devices/chip sets thus minimising the driver mess.

21. Vorian macrumors newbie

Meh.

Seems to me like if you are going to be investing a large sum of money ($2000 is a lot to me Mr. Gates), then you would buy a product that you know is reliable. With Apple's service, and guarantees and whatnot, I don't know if I'd trust another company to do it.

But I do think that the option should be out there for people who wish for a cheaper alternative, or who simply wish to stick it to :apple: .

22. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I said no

Maybe it's part fanboy (which I am), maybe it computer ILiteracy (which by my standards is low), but for work/research reasons I don't feel like I would want a Frankenstein system (which is really what a clone is).

I recall, lots of people were quite happy with their Apple clones back in the day. I think I even used one.

NOW -- I have a G4 400 mhz Powermac that I did use aftermarket processor upgrades for to bring it up to 1.47Ghz. I did this after the better part of the decade when I wasn't sure what my next primary system needed to be (desktop or laptop) and I was no longer able to enjoy newer and newer software. So technically my system is a Frankenstein now. However, it is no longer my primary system and I enjoy a new Alum iMac for my day to day needs.

Linux satisfies all my tinkering needs --- IF i ever get it working on this G3 Powerbook --- i'm ready to toss the thing across the room.

I enjoy building

23. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I do not mind, as i have no FW800 devices, and it has 2 external and one internal FW400 ports. :D
    True.
    Yes, and i like "my" Rig with Q9450, 8GB Ram and Radeon 3870 FW400 for 1400€ better than a basic 2.8 Ghz Xeon, 2GB Ram and Radeon 2600 MacPro for 2050€. It somehow fit's my needs better.

No i did not forget about "quality", that's why i have choosen a Seagate "NS" drive instead of a "AS" or a cheaper Samsung HDD. A "Boxed" Q9450 from Intel, a pricey "Be Quiet!" power supply and not some cheap, crappy and loud 20€ counterpart. I have also opted to take a 180€ "Imaginary" case instead of one for 60€...

I did take a cheap LG optical, but i never had any issues with mine. If you think i messed some part up - just take one you think is more appropriate eg. RAM from Kingston, Corsair, GEIL instead of the MDT Ram. :)

24. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So, in other words...if an Apple clone was a bunch of stuff that actual hackintoshes that exist aren't...would I buy one?

Probably not.

If it were everything you said? That depends. I suppose if a company gained a reputation as making Apple clones that stood the test of integration and had the quality customer support I've had with Apple, then I might consider it. I do like Apple's computers, though, and don't find them to be radically overpriced, so I really have no reason to go elsewhere for a computer that runs Mac OS X.

25. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

No. I would not buy a clone.

The thing I like about Apple products is that they ensure compatibility with the hardware, software, firmware, and OS. One of the things that make PCs so awful is the seemingly endless incompatibility issues, driver updates, etc.

Yes, Apple has a monopoly. But so far, that has made for a better and more stable product.