Would you buy an ipad mini without a retina screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

This would be the only thing that would stop me from getting one

If apple releases an iPad mini without a retina screen, would you buy it anyway?

This question is for the people that know they are going to get one for sure
    If the rumors are true

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Absolutely, without hesitation. If it's not retina, it will still be quite nice.

I _know_ this because I own a vast number of Apple laptops, iPads, iPhones that do not have retina, as well as the corresponding models that do.

Apples strength has always been excellent displays, long before retina.

Whatever Apple equips this upcoming model with will be fine with me.

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

My primary use of an iPad Mini would be for reading, so I'd need to see the non-retina screen first before making a decision. Since the screen is smaller than a regular iPad, I'm sure it won't look as pixelated as an iPad 2. But, the retina on my 3 has spoiled me. I'm not sure I'd buy the Mini unless it had close to retina resolution.

4. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Apple's come to a point where a non-retina display would be really bad for them. Granted a non-retina would make it much cheaper, but it would also lack one of Apple's best selling point to the basic consumers.

But yes, regardless of that, I'd buy 2 for my mum and my girlfriend. They both want a smaller iPad.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wouldnt care personally.

I think 1024 x 768 on a 7" is more than adequte.

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Given the price, I wouldn't expect retina display in the mini iPad. Moreover none of the competitor's products have high-res displays..

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

This would set them apart

8. kokhean macrumors regular

The PPI for a mini version would be denser, if they decided to keep the aspect ratio and resolution.

9. Fandongo macrumors 6502

I'll only buy it if it's an original Kindle/Gameboy style display.

Backlit displays attract and harbor idiots.

10. boomboom2 macrumors regular

For the sake of compatibility I'm guessing they'll have it with the resolution of the iPad 2. I can't see them putting an iPad 3 resolution screen on it without the price being too high.

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

Probably. The deal-killer for me would be a lack of sim. I have gotten used to having access when I'm out and about and the mini would go with me even more. I need cellular access.

Otherwise I will most likely buy one if they make it.

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

What sets them apart is the app ecosystem which is non-existent on Android (for tablet). Keeping the 1024x768 resolution means it is compatible with all the existing apps. It doesn't make sense to introduce a new resolution which would result in fragmentation.

13. bettaboy123 macrumors member

I would love something like that, but that would make it harder for developers to target it specifically. There is already four resolutions to deal with; adding a fifth (and sixth with the new iPhone) would not be ideal unless they drop support for pre-retina iPhone models.

However... a retina iPad mini would be bought by me regardless of price. Any lower than retina, I would have to strongly think about it. And if there is no Smart Cover, it's also no deal.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If the rumors are true then I'd expect the iPad Mini to NOT have a retina display. Apple will test the waters, so to speak, with the iPad Mini and see what kind of sales it gets. Perhaps after a year or two, assuming the sales are there, then I'll bet a retina display will come out for the iPad Mini. Assuming the rumors are true, then the iPad Mini will be like the 13" MBP. While the 15" MBP gets all the glory, the 13" kinda lags behind but eventually catches up to the performance/specs of its big brother.

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I also doubt they will start out with retina on the mini. The resolution and size work perfectly with a non-retina screen and existing iPad applications.

The two existing iPad resolutions are relatively harmonious with one being a double of the other. A retina screen in that size means a third iPad resolution that is out of whack with the existing two.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Retina is awesome but it's overrated in importance. I sold early in preparation for the smaller iPad and switched from an iPad3 to iPad2, and I really don't feel I'm missing anything.

if the new iPad has retina that's fantasic, but if it doesn't I'll buy it anyway because I'm more interested in size than features.

17. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I heard a RUMOUR that apple got a deal on all those 7" Samsung screens after the injunction :p

18. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yep, sure would depending on price of course.

19. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

It just can't have retina. A 4 inch iphone retina or a 7 inch retina. Everyone would get a mini

20. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I would buy if it comes with 4G LTE. $250 is not bad (if it were the price).

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If it is similar to the Nexus 7, 1280X800 (216 ppi) I would buy it.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think it's fairly obvious the adding LTE will carry the same price premium as it does on the regular iPads.

24. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

fixed your post for you

25. Fandongo macrumors 6502

Staring into a bright blue light alters the human brain.
    Clearly though, not enough to make it understand sarcasm.

I still think excessive reading should be done on a less intense display...
    Early e-readers are ineffective devices.

Copy any text on any Apple device and immediately send it to a cheap simple 7" Apple reader. What a miraculous thought.

Nope, the public needs 10 less effective Netflix machines than say...a TV.