Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Well a hi-fi doesn't "age" as quickly as computer hardware, so if it's fit for purpose then why not?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Well a hi-fi doesn't "age" as quickly as computer hardware, so if it's fit for purpose then why not?

That's true, sound systems don't decrease in value very much. I bought my speakers over a year ago, maybe 2 years ago by now, and they're still exactly the same price on Amazon.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i have one. i did get it at a discounted price (about $80 off) though i don't think i would have gotten it at full price, to be honest. the sound quality is actually better than i expected it to be and it's perfect for our bedroom or living room. lots of my friends have ipods, and it's nice that they can just bring their ipods over and dock it in the hifi if there's something we want to listen to that i don't have in my music collection. ilounge.com gave it a decent review...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
It got great reviews and I still think it's a great bit of kit, even if it is 18 months old now. If I were in the market for something like that I'd certainly consider it. Beats the crappy Bose SoundDock hands down! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I actually am quite interested in one or something similar, albeit not at that thing's list price. I'd still like to simplify my entertainment setup, and maybe make it a semi-permanent home for my older iPod 3G.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
There are better sounding options available but the iPod HiFi is portable and it is capable of filling a room with sound at a party. These features are not important to me but they may be to you.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I had a low-end Hifi system and replaced it with the iPod Hifi, a fraction of the size and for me the same quality. Ideal for small apartments or in a holiday home.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
We bought an iPod HiFi last summer (2006), and we love it. It was definitely worth the extra money. It has a very nice, full sound, with plenty of base too, and the clarity is very good.

It is really an excellent speaker for the iPod. It fills the room with sound. Buy it and enjoy.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Well I went over to a reseller and saw it today, I asked if I could turn the volume up to the loudest.

I was not really impressed with the quality - it kinda sounded wrong but then again I thought over that maybe the ipod nano that was connected to it had a crappy losy file playing. Maybe it would be different it was lossless or a higher bitrate (I did not see the info on the file playing).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was not really impressed with the quality - it kinda sounded wrong but then again I thought over that maybe the ipod nano that was connected to it had a crappy losy file playing. Maybe it would be different it was lossless or a higher bitrate (I did not see the info on the file playing).

I don't know if it's designed like a lot of audio gear, but a lot of audio gear is not really intended to be run at 10... I was given a guideline when I bought my receiver that the distortion would increase significantly above about 5 (5 is quite loud on this receiver....). I'm not sure if that applies to this or not. I've also noticed that the iPod sometimes outputs a distorted signal at max volume -- like if you use an iTrip, you need to set the volume at about 85-90%, because at 100%, you get serious distortion.

I'm not sure if any of that applies, but if you get the chance, and didn't do it before, it might be good to try it at 85% of max volume.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
if it were black and i got it at a cheaper price... definitely.
not the white though. that would stand out and look too tacky in my condo.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
If I had a couple of hundred pounds to 'waste' on one, I would.

For now I'll make do with my iPod plus earphones.

Would I purchase one in the future? Possibly.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I don't know if it's designed like a lot of audio gear, but a lot of audio gear is not really intended to be run at 10... I was given a guideline when I bought my receiver that the distortion would increase significantly above about 5 (5 is quite loud on this receiver....).

It's been quite a while since I looked at any of these specs but IIRC, THD is usually rated at 50% of maximum power output. I don't know if the effect is linear but at some point (probably around 1%) you will start hearing distortion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.