Would you buy iSlate WITH or WITHOUT a contract?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacFly123, Jan 25, 2010.

?

How would you buy the iSlate?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2010.
  1. WITH a data contract and lower, subsidized price.

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. WITHOUT a data contract at the unsubsidized full price.

82 vote(s)
    90.1%
  1. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Lets say that Apple gives us the option to buy iSlate with a data contract and lower, subsidized price, or without a data contract and subsidy for a higher full price. Which would you choose?

Myself, I don't want another data bill in addition to my iPhone, so I would buy it at full price and just use it with WIFI mostly at home! I think most people feel the same as me from what I am seeing. I know we don't know prices yet, but I want an idea of how people are thinking, so lets find out! :)

Those that don't want to buy it should not participate in this poll.

Thanks all!
    :apple:

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'd buy it at full price. No new contracts for me.

3. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ditto. Cast your vote! :)

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Full price, no way I'll want two wireless bills (iPhone included), especially on two different companies. Too bad Apple wouldn't do something like the Kindle with having free wireless networking via Sprints Rev-A.

I can understand why they don't though, because data would be way more intensive than how much the Kindle uses.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

Oops forgot that. What would be your price ceiling?

6. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Absolutely no contract for me. If the price is too much, I won't be getting it at all.

7. Larpy macrumors member

There are two deal killers for me, one is if you have to have a contract to buy this thing and two if it cost too much, 999 I can get a macbook!

8. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ya lol, about 1,000 X as much data! :eek: That would NEVER happen! But it would be sweet haha.

I haven't decided for sure yet. I will have to see it and what it does first. But probably $799.

So far it is looking like my hunch was dead on! People want NO CONTRACT and REASONABLY AFFORDABLE!

9. Jimmyz macrumors regular

If I can get a month by month data plan from AT&T, then no contract. If I have to get a data contract, then I may get it with contract, unless I can get a 12 month data contract with AT&T, whereas to get the ipad at the contract price I would have to get a 24 month contract, then I would probably get it without contract.

10. Jimmyz macrumors regular

Just called AT&T, and they said they don't have a month to month data plan, and that the min contract length is 24 months, so I might as well buy the iPad with a contract.

11. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Depends, if it's just a giant iPhone no thanks to either contract or no contract. If it has laptop functionality, as in I can install whatever OSX software I want on it, the count me in on buying it with no contract.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I can imagine all these threads wastelanded if there's no Tablet. :D

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Depends on what the pricing is. Given the fact that contract prices are alot cheaper over here in the uk. You can get data only packages for £20 a month so over 18 months it's gonna be 360 total. Can't see any network knocking that off the price so I'll go with the non-contract version. Then I'll slap in a nice o2 unlimited web payg chip and away I go.

That said I'll be waiting till may before I purchase anyway so everyone else can iron out the bugs.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I can see a whole forum subsection being binned till June/July lol

15. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

No way am I going to be on other plan with a mobile phone company!

16. beaner454 macrumors regular

I think it depends on how much of a discount is offered.

For instance if it's $1000 for the contract free tablet & $600 for the contracted tablet, then that's a difference of $400. Which equates to about 11 months of data plan ($35/month). So if you go with the contracted price your essentially getting 2 years of mobile internet for $455, instead of $840.

So for 2 years of ownership it will cost you $1840 for a no contract tablet with AT&T, or $1455 with a contract.

Personally, I'd just go data free & buy it without a contract. $1455, even with 2 years of mobile data, is too rich for my blood. The only time I really even use the mobile data on my iPhone is when I'm walking down the street, and I don't see myself walking and tableting. I'd rather put that $455 aside for the next tablet, or you know electricity, food or shelter.

17. Inked macrumors regular

I'll happilly pay $1000 (which will probably end up at more like £800 to £900 in the UK) unsubsidised as i'm not interested in taking it out and about with me so no need for a data plan. For me to replace my old white macbook with it (and thus pass my unibody on to the wife) It would need to be able to run iWork.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As I see myself using such a device at work and home (where I have wifi) and I already have an iPhone with AT&T, unless there is some multi-device discount, full price for me.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Ask me Wednesday night when I've got all the details. :)

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Without a contract, I really don't want another contract. But the price has to be 799USD max.

21. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Without a contract - one's enough. Strictly a wifi guy.

22. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

This sums up my feelings.

23. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

And, mine as well.

24. MacFly123 thread starter macrumors 68020

It seems that my assumption is very accurate! We will see what happens with this poll after tomorrow, but I am confident these two polled options will be announced! At least tomorrow we will get prices. I think I will tell MacRumors to take a look at this poll we have because it is pretty staggering even with low numbers!

25. Lancelot9201 macrumors member

Don't Need An iPhone XL

Well, I lost interest if this tablet does come with some form of the iphone software & not at least a lite version of Snow Leopard. I don't need another device with the iphone software. What's worse is I bet this doesn't even come with a dvd drive, how could it if it has any version of the iphone OS. I'm sure not a buyer at any price over $399 to $499, which is what a nice 10" netbook sells for.