Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you buy the iSlate?

• WITH a data contract and lower, subsidized price.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • WITHOUT a data contract at the unsubsidized full price.

Votes: 82 90.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am not envisioning it with any sort of contract at all.

Even if they came out with an iphone type and itouch type (with and without), I think it would turn me off altogether.

They don't need to focus this as some sort of app that is subisidized or requires agreements with cell phone companies. Just make a wifi device that can also sync with an iphone (which then if people want to use it with a cell data plan they have to get an iphone too) and be done with it.

I will honestly be disappointed if cell phone carriers have anything directly to do with this device, and I think it would be a mistake on Apple's part.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I will honestly be disappointed if cell phone carriers have anything directly to do with this device, and I think it would be a mistake on Apple's part.

The only thing that I hope happens with the carriers is that they all can now have access to the iPhone, and the data plan for all of them allows for the iPad (whatever) to be tethered to the iPhone. This is a Win-Win-Win situation. Consumers win because they don't pay anymore for the data plan. Carriers win because they will get a large influx of customers. Apple wins because the not only sell the iPad but also, if the iPad can ONLY tether to an iPhone, iPhones. And the Consumer wins because of competition between Carriers trying to get our contracts thus driving prices down.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The only thing that I hope happens with the carriers is that they all can now have access to the iPhone, and the data plan for all of them allows for the iPad (whatever) to be tethered to the iPhone. This is a Win-Win-Win situation. Consumers win because they don't pay anymore for the data plan. Carriers win because they will get a large influx of customers. Apple wins because the not only sell the iPad but also, if the iPad can ONLY tether to an iPhone, iPhones. And the Consumer wins because of competition between Carriers trying to get our contracts thus driving prices down.

I agree. At first I had been against the loss of exclusivity with AT&T, but now I realize that was a dumb and selfish view. The more people who have iphones the better it is for me. The more chances of updates, the more chances of software etc etc.

I agree 100% it is a win-win-win to just offer it as a tether option. I don't think Apple wants to intentionally get into partnerships with cell phone companies unless they have to, and with a cell phone it is necessary evil. With this device it is not a necessary evil, so I think the best bet is to take a hands off approach and just make it trivially easy to work with the iphone.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
AT&T has enough data issues without dropping a few hundred thousand iPad/iTablet devices on their system with more users. I hope the T mobile/VZW rumors are true and we actually have a choice in carrier.

However, I'm thinking no contract until one of those carriers can show me a data plan with consistent speeds over 4 or 5mb, until then... I'll pay full price, assuming that's below $1,000.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If apple wants to push this on college students for the textbooks, it had better have an unsubsidized price that isn't crazy. Most college students have no need for 3G because we're either on campus or at home 95% of the time, both of which have wifi.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
I have no desire to own a tablet in either way. It's a new mac pro, then a mac book pro for me!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.