Would you buy the GTX 285 right now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by goMac, Jul 18, 2010.

1. goMac macrumors 603

I have a 8800 in my Mac Pro currently, and with SC2 coming, I was thinking about picking up the 285. However, it seems like the 400 series might be coming to Mac sooner rather than later...

Any feedback? I'm not big on buying a 485 right now and using the hacked drivers... I do production work on my system so I need it to be rock solid, and it sounds like the hacked drivers have issues right now.

2. strausd macrumors 68030

If you can wait do it, but if you need it now then go for it. We still don't know for sure when new GPUs will be out, hopefully soon!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, not even needing it. Get a GTX 460. Drivers are out or contact Rominator for them.

4. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Hey, I apologize if I sound like an idiot here :)

So if I buy the PC version of this card and contact said person on the boards I can install it on OSX? How much of a process is it? Does it require flashing of the card?

Thanks for the help Jav

Benji

5. KevinJ macrumors newbie

I have been following (or atleast trying to) all the gpu threads on here.

I too have been contemplating the 285 but saw 1 or 2 posts about the 460.

I am on a MacPro 1.1 with a flashed ati 4870 card works fine but I need a nvidia cuda card for a gpu based render I am trying to test. Anyone know if there will be a conflict with the 2 cards?

Will zeus be able to flash the 460 card?

KJ