Would you change this AT&T rate plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lerxst, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Lerxst Guest

Hi guys,

If this was your current rate plan and past monthly usage would you downsize it or stay? Thanks.

Current plan: AT&T Nation Unlimited Voice $69.99
    Considering: 900 minutes w/rollover $44.99 (FAN corporate disc.)
    Would save $25/month

Past 13 months voice minutes used per month:

Aug 2010 1318 minutes
    Sep 1234
    Oct 1119
    Nov 927
    Dec 762
    Jan 2011 999
    Feb 691
    Mar 659
    Apr 639
    May 631
    June 771
    July 829
    Aug 904

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you mainly talk to cellphones, you could try 450 minutes ($40) + unlimited messaging ($20) for unlimited mobile to any mobile. Not sure if your discount will apply to any of these though

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

With free mobile to mobile minutes now I'd safely say unlimited voice is a thing of the past. If you can save roughly $25 a month that averages to around $300 a year for ditching an obsolete plan. Unless all you call is landlines I'd say pick the cheaper plan.

4. Lerxst thread starter Guest

My discount applies to all plans except the unlimited voice for $69.99 which is where I'm at now. As for mainly talking to cell phones....Sometimes I'm not exactly sure if I'm calling a cell or not, AND, does it need to be an AT&T cell or any cell?

Thx

----------

Hi Spectrum,

Does it apply to all cell numbers called or must I call only AT&T cell customers ?

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

You are close enough that the rollover minutes will actually be useful in case you go over a few minutes in some months. You don't have that much too loose, it's not like you will be locked into the new plan, you can always go back to the previous plan if for some reason your usage increases dramatically.

I would change.

6. shelbymayer macrumors regular

one thing to consider is by being on unlimited right now you don't have any roll over minutes...if you went over that first month you pay .45 cents a minute then you still wouldn't be getting any roll over minutes for the next month...could be a vicious expensive cycle!

7. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you get unlimited messaging and any voice plan, then it's unlimited minutes to ANY cell phone.

If you don't have unlimited messaging, then it's unlimited minutes to other ATT cell phones

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Go for the cheaper. You'd rack up plenty of roll over based upon your past usage. Definitely.

9. Lerxst thread starter Guest

I have the 1500 text messages and I have never exceeded that, I usually text about 400-700 texts a month. I think it costs $15/mo? I have to check...

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would certainly change. If you pick unlimited text messaging, then you'll get unlimited mobile to any mobile. Also, your rollover minutes will compensate for your usage.

11. Lerxst thread starter Guest

Thx.

I'm trying to find out what I'm paying for 1500 Vs. unlimited texts...?

12. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

My work discount is much higher for Verizon than At&T or I would have gone with AT&T with the unlimited messaging + mobile-to-mobile feature. Then again 80-90% of my minutes go for calls to other cell phones

13. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Unlimited is $20 and 1500 text is $15. I would've recommended the 1000 text for $10, but that has been eliminated. ATT only offers pay-as-you-go text or unlimited. Once you change to unlimited, the $15 option will no longer be possible.. with iOS5 coming out with iMessaging, you may be using even fewer texts in the future.

You seem to use fewer minutes during the earlier part of the year. Perhaps during the month you know you're going to end up with 900 minutes, backdate your talk plan to the 900 min/month plan, so you'd start to accrue rollover minutes for future months. Also ATT has been handling out 1000 rollover minutes lately via a text message, perhaps you can still get those 1000 minutes to start you off on the lower plan.

14. Lerxst thread starter Guest

Thank you,
    So...With Apple launching this iMessage thing with iOS5 and the fact that I have never used 1500 texts in any month and I cannot revert back to a lower text plan if I jump on the unlimited text plan right now it sounds like maybe I should try the 900 minute plan...hope for a handout of 1000 rollover minutes to jump start me. Then I'll wait and see what happens with Apples iMessage and maybe drop AT&T text plan all together.??

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

FYI for those who don't know about the 1100 ATT grandfathered plan.

The OP is on an old (last offered 4-5 years ago) 1100 minute single user plan (with the option to add additional lines for 9.99).

If the OP doesn't call a landline, it may be cheaper to go down to a lower monthly plan and add unlimited text since you get unlimited any mobile with the unlimited texting plan.