Would you consider a new theme for the forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Hoppimike, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hoppimike macrumors newbie

Hoppimike

I think this is just the default vBulletin theme in blue?

Would you consider a smoother theme... maybe with a bit more... flair? Rounded corners or gradients or... you know, other nice stuff?

It just looks a bit box-y is all, makes it harder I find to spend a long time here because it just isn't very interesting to look at. Does that make sense?

I mean, your site, your decision, but just a suggestion and I think it would be pretty quick and easy to do and make a huge difference. Lots of free and cheap themes about and that ^_^

I use MyBB quite a lot and have themed it a few times.

Thanks duuuuuudes!

Mike :)

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. Hoppimike thread starter macrumors newbie

Hoppimike

Awesome thank you ^_^

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Rounded corners and gradients are so 2008! Squares are in now! Along with flat design and bright colors. ;) :rolleyes:

Actually, I've noticed some updates with the nav bar lately, especially on mobile. Pretty nice!!

5. Hoppimike thread starter macrumors newbie

Hoppimike

lol yeah I hate this new style on things like Android L and Windows 10! SO ugly!!

I think iOS and OSX look really good though :)

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Where should bugs (or apparent bugs) in the new theme be reported?

Example bug: the division defined by a CODE tag is sometimes slightly less than the actual required height. The result is that the div is vertically scrollable, and it scrolls for only about 1/4 of a line. This only started happening a little while ago, when I started seeing other changes to the theme/layout (such as larger fonts).

The first prerequisite to produce this bug is a line long enough to need horizontal scrolling. The second prerequisite seems to be "System Preferences > General > Show scroll bars: Always".

Code:
    This one-liner doesn't trigger the problem.
    Code:
    Here's a two-line example that's fine.
    The previous line is true.
    Code:
    This one-liner illustrates the problem: In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately please dome decree, where Alph the sacred river ran, through caverns measureless to man, down to a sunless C.
    I've also enabled: "Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Never use font sizes smaller than 13". I turned this off and the problem is still visible, but my testing may not be comprehensive.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I will chime in to say I hope things don't change too much. I think the current site still looks great, with a modern theme that is easy on the eyes without being garish in any way. I fear in an attempt to 'modernize' most of the visual contrast will be done away with, as seems to be the current trend.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think arn has gone over board with the theme. The VB theme here is a getting long in the tooth. Of course with any change, there will be people who think that it was a mistake.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's a legitimate concern. And one we are struggling with. The more modern themes do lose a lot of contrast at times.

arn

10. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks. And I should probably suggest, configure things to not default to all italic for quoted text.