Would you even use video recording? [POLL]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Aug 26, 2008.

?

Would you use video recording?

1. OMG, YES... finally!

120 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. Who needs video recording!?

28 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. I didn't even realize it wasn't there, and I don't care otherwise!

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. I would use it because it's there, but I'm not dying without it.

33 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Since the first iPhone has come out, their has always been an outcry or video recording. People have been saying "It's such a basic feature, it should be on the iPhone"... "a smart phone as good as an iPhone has to have video recording".

But when push comes to shove would you really use video recording enough to justify all the outcry?

snverhallen

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sometimes a quick video can explain/capture a situation quicker than a bunch of photos.

For video to be worthwhile, it would need to be 640x480 at 30 fps, and of course audio as well -- at least good quality mono recording. Max length should be determined by RAM memory.

Note, I am not expecting the iPhone to replace a regular digital camera or video camera for that matter. Video recording would just be a handy option to have.

We shall see. Maybe a third party app? Maybe the next version of the iPhone.

4. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I have said yes because if it was there I would use it. So far (I have had an iphone since 1st launch) there hasnt been a moment where I have cursed the phone for not having it though)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. pscoble macrumors 6502

I doubt I would use it. If they were to put the feature in they would have to put a far better camera on the phone. The one that is currently on it would probably be horrible for video recording.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I never even use the camera that is on the iPhone. Why then would I need video? Just another gimmick IMHO.

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Absolutely!!! I was at a Motorhead/Black Sabbath concert last weekend and it would have been great to snag some video.

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I've used it on previous phones and it's the one feature that I really actually miss on the iPhone. When I knew a new iPhone was coming out, my hopes were it would have these features:

1. GPS
    2. Video Recording
    3. 3G

That was my order of priority, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad and I know the hardware is capable of it, should I decide to jailbreak my phone.

Some of my previous phones did a poor job of it, but those that did all right were quite handy for impromptu recordings, such as a company meeting where Dee Snider showed up in costume and performed "We're not going to take it." :)

10. iNfowarrior macrumors member

It should be included for emergency purposes. In case you witness a crime like a police officer tazing an innocent person to death in front of you. Since that has been happening at on average once a week in 2008, its probably a good idea for everyone to have a video recording handy.

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

you bet i would.

qik is awesome on the iphone.

12. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Yes. I found it very useful in a number of circumstances in the past on my WM Treo. One example was video-ing goings on with the car. It's very hard for the dealer to deny warranty service and say "unable to duplicate customer complaint" when there is video evidence of a problem happening.

I think it's pitiful for Apple to not have it on the phone when a $50 phone has it.

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yes and I'd use zoom on the camera if it was available.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Could the iPhone process and store info at 30fps? Also if you could get about 20fps that would be sufficient for fairly fluid motion, after all film (a movie) isn't but 24fps.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That would be impossible since there is no optical zoom. You could do digital zoom but you lose quality.

16. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Yes, and I'm testing them right now on my jailbroken Iphone.

I'm currently testing cycorder and videorecorder3

They're awesome! :p

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I know I was just saying, it would be cool. I mean look at all my post's in the iPhone photo of the day thread. I love the camera, I think it could do so much more and be even better.

It's on my wish list for the next iPhone. :)

18. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Yes i would. Every time my kid does something cool i take out my phone and then i remember CRAP i cant record video.

19. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't wait till it comes out onto the App Store!

That is an other, rather un-publicized feature of a video recorder :p. But still a good one ;).

snverhallen

20. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

I would've chosen option 4: I would use it because it's there, but I'm not dying without it.

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe every once in a while.

but i dont care really.

22. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

No, I would not. I just carry around my flip camcorder, small enough to throw in a pocket.

23. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

That option is on it's way into the poll :).

snverhallen

24. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I would never use it. I've never been a video guy, anyway... never owned a camcorder in my life. Still pictures have always been more appealing to me; they are easier to view and organize in my opinion.

If we do get the video recording capability for the iPhone, I hope it will be through a third-party app. If the core OS has room for expansion, there are much more important features to add than video recording.

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Judging by the current shutter speed of the camera, I can only foresee 15fps being a viable option.