Would you even use video recording? [POLL]

Would you use video recording?

• OMG, YES... finally!

Votes: 120 63.5%
  • Who needs video recording!?

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • I didn't even realize it wasn't there, and I don't care otherwise!

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • I would use it because it's there, but I'm not dying without it.

Votes: 33 17.5%

• Total voters

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Since the first iPhone has come out, their has always been an outcry or video recording. People have been saying "It's such a basic feature, it should be on the iPhone"... "a smart phone as good as an iPhone has to have video recording".

But when push comes to shove would you really use video recording enough to justify all the outcry?

snverhallen

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sometimes a quick video can explain/capture a situation quicker than a bunch of photos.

For video to be worthwhile, it would need to be 640x480 at 30 fps, and of course audio as well -- at least good quality mono recording. Max length should be determined by RAM memory.

Note, I am not expecting the iPhone to replace a regular digital camera or video camera for that matter. Video recording would just be a handy option to have.

We shall see. Maybe a third party app? Maybe the next version of the iPhone.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
I have said yes because if it was there I would use it. So far (I have had an iphone since 1st launch) there hasnt been a moment where I have cursed the phone for not having it though)

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
I doubt I would use it. If they were to put the feature in they would have to put a far better camera on the phone. The one that is currently on it would probably be horrible for video recording.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I've used it on previous phones and it's the one feature that I really actually miss on the iPhone. When I knew a new iPhone was coming out, my hopes were it would have these features:

1. GPS
2. Video Recording
3. 3G

That was my order of priority, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad and I know the hardware is capable of it, should I decide to jailbreak my phone.

Some of my previous phones did a poor job of it, but those that did all right were quite handy for impromptu recordings, such as a company meeting where Dee Snider showed up in costume and performed "We're not going to take it." :)

iNfowarrior

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Since the first iPhone has come out, their has always been an outcry or video recording. People have been saying "It's such a basic feature, it should be on the iPhone"... "a smart phone as good as an iPhone has to have video recording".

But when push comes to shove would you really use video recording enough to justify all the outcry?

snverhallen
It should be included for emergency purposes. In case you witness a crime like a police officer tazing an innocent person to death in front of you. Since that has been happening at on average once a week in 2008, its probably a good idea for everyone to have a video recording handy.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Yes. I found it very useful in a number of circumstances in the past on my WM Treo. One example was video-ing goings on with the car. It's very hard for the dealer to deny warranty service and say "unable to duplicate customer complaint" when there is video evidence of a problem happening.

I think it's pitiful for Apple to not have it on the phone when a $50 phone has it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sometimes a quick video can explain/capture a situation quicker than a bunch of photos.

For video to be worthwhile, it would need to be 640x480 at 30 fps,...
Could the iPhone process and store info at 30fps? Also if you could get about 20fps that would be sufficient for fairly fluid motion, after all film (a movie) isn't but 24fps.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
That would be impossible since there is no optical zoom. You could do digital zoom but you lose quality.
I know I was just saying, it would be cool. I mean look at all my post's in the iPhone photo of the day thread. I love the camera, I think it could do so much more and be even better.

It's on my wish list for the next iPhone. :)

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Yes i would. Every time my kid does something cool i take out my phone and then i remember CRAP i cant record video.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
you bet i would.

qik is awesome on the iphone.
Can't wait till it comes out onto the App Store!

It should be included for emergency purposes. In case you witness a crime like a police officer tazing an innocent person to death in front of you. Since that has been happening at on average once a week in 2008, its probably a good idea for everyone to have a video recording handy.
That is an other, rather un-publicized feature of a video recorder :p. But still a good one ;).

snverhallen

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
No, I would not. I just carry around my flip camcorder, small enough to throw in a pocket.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
I would never use it. I've never been a video guy, anyway... never owned a camcorder in my life. Still pictures have always been more appealing to me; they are easier to view and organize in my opinion.

If we do get the video recording capability for the iPhone, I hope it will be through a third-party app. If the core OS has room for expansion, there are much more important features to add than video recording.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
For video to be worthwhile, it would need to be 640x480 at 30 fps, and of course audio as well -- at least good quality mono recording...
Judging by the current shutter speed of the camera, I can only foresee 15fps being a viable option.