Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use video recording?

• OMG, YES... finally!

Votes: 120 63.5%
  • Who needs video recording!?

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • I didn't even realize it wasn't there, and I don't care otherwise!

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • I would use it because it's there, but I'm not dying without it.

Votes: 33 17.5%

• Total voters

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Uh, duh? My phone I had in 8th grade had video recording. N that was an old phone! (one of the first to have it, in fact)

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
I would and am using it :p.

Considering the iPhone is such a versatile device, and the kind of device that almost does it all, why would you not want something that records video as well? Convergence FTW!

squeakyclutch

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Westwood, CA
I believe a video app is essential for the iPhone as an All-In-One device.

I mean, I'm not looking to shoot documentaries or the next great epic film with my iPhone. But, have a video recorder handy on a daily basis is essential to record car accidents, capture those rare moments, etc.

Apple definitely should come out with a video app soon.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I chose the last option, because I'd like it, and I'd use it, but I'd much rather have some options like copy/paste and MMS if it was an either/or type of deal. I used the video recorder on my Treo, but not all the time. It is definitely nice to have the option when the situation arises.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
To have a youtube application come on the iPhone and not be able to post videos to youtube is nothing short of criminal.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Could the iPhone process and store info at 30fps? Also if you could get about 20fps that would be sufficient for fairly fluid motion, after all film (a movie) isn't but 24fps.
There is a difference in digital film recording verses film.

From my past experience with action video, I found that 15fps is way too slow for any motion. At 20fps is seems like you are in a dream. At 30fps is seems normal.

Judging by the current shutter speed of the camera, I can only foresee 15fps being a viable option.
IMHO, that is too slow to be worthwhile.

So we may need to wait until the next version to get decent video recording provided by Apple or a third party app.

To have a youtube application come on the iPhone and not be able to post videos to youtube is nothing short of criminal.
Interesting comment.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
For those who want video recording, what would you record?

Here is what comes to mind for me:

- A surprise event where you only have your iPhone with you and you want to record a video.

- To capture what is in a room, for inventory purposes.

- To capture something while moving. Once video is taken, you can extract the pic that you want.

- To add information to a message such as here is what you need to do. Follow these steps.

- You are eating something that continues to move, so you cannot take a still pic to send to your friends. :)

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
For those who want video recording, what would you record?

Here is what comes to mind for me:

- A surprise event where you only have your iPhone with you and you want to record a video.

- To capture what is in a room, for inventory purposes.

- To capture something while moving. Once video is taken, you can extract the pic that you want.

- To add information to a message such as here is what you need to do. Follow these steps.

- You are eating something that continues to move, so you cannot take a still pic to send to your friends. :)

How about to record suprise encounters after a night at the bar...

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

See I really don't care about a video recorder or not, but you're absolutely right! The first thing I thought when I saw the YouTube app was how great it would be to be able to record and even upload a video right from your phone. I really think Apple needs to create a video application. Jailbreaks prove that the camera is capable of recording video, and I really think that for 2.1 or maybe 2.2 Apple needs to make a native app.

Chronimac

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
No, I would not. I just carry around my flip camcorder, small enough to throw in a pocket.

wouldn't it just be so much better to only have an iphone in your pocket instead though.

+1 on the direct youtube upload.
You can already capture pictures and upload them strait to the web.
Why cant you with video!?

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
Before I got my iPhone last month I had a regular LG8300 cell phone with a camera that took stills and video...I never used either function.
With my Iphone, I find that I'm using the camera feature all the time. I can't wait for the video app to be released and the bugs worked out...it shouldn't be too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.