Would you exchange because of these issues? (pics)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ProMod, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I don't think I have it as bad as some people on here, but I wanted to show you guys my only flaws with my new iPad and see if you think I should get it exchanged. These are the only issues I have, and everything else seems to be perfect. The screen looks great to me, and I'm picky about my displays. I don't think I have the yellow tint at all. This is a 64 GB Black AT&T model.

- Small light leakage in top right corner. Only can be seen when viewing at an extreme angle:

IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.jpg

- A bit of backlight bleed in lower left corner:

IMG_0129.jpg

- A tiny chip in the aluminum in the upper left corner. I couldn't even get a good photo of it.

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Yeah I would. If it bothers you, you should too.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it bothers you, get it exchanged. I would for that chip. They have plenty in stock anyway.

4. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

My advice is really to just use it for 2-4 weeks and see how you feel after that. Chances are that you will receive an even worse unit. And if you keep exchanging it, the iPad 4th Gen. will be just around the corner and you'll like care less about your old machine and jsut go on to sell it for $100-120 on eBay or Craig's list anyway.

Just don't let those issues deter your enjoyment of one of the finest electronic gadgets ever produced.

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

100% yes. My iPad showed up perfect with no yellow tint and no bleed. However my girl friends showed up with horrible yellow tint and a lot of bleed at the top and exchanged it for a BRAND NEW iPad.

6. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

+1

These are the issues you can see.

if its not too much trouble I would swap it out.

7. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Also, if you were presented with the choice of keeping your great display or exchanging it for a spotty, yellow screen (as most seem to be), which would you prefer?

To be honest, I believe tons of readers on this chat board would take your unit in a heartbeat!

8. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback guys. The thing is these are issues that only someone as picky as myself would notice, and they don't affect the normal operation of the iPad at all. You can't see any of the issues with normal use (except the chip at the top I guess).

I may keep it for a week or so and see how things develop with other peoples' issues as well as mine. If I decide I can't live with it or think I have a good shot at getting a better unit, I'll swap it. The Apple Store is only about 10 minutes from my house.

9. rollzst macrumors member

I would 100% exchange for those problems. Luckily my iPad is perfect in every way

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes I would trade that defective dog in today!

No way I would put up with that horrible bleeding.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Only if those things really really bother you because sometimes when you exchange, you actually get something worse and have to exchange again and again and again and.....well, you know.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You just paid $850 for your new iPad. If it has issues that are going to bother you, then I definitely would get it swapped out.

Personally...I could live with the light leakage, but I would take it back if there were and scratches or nicks.

13. matttye macrumors 601

14. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Woah. I saw your last pic and it looks almost identical to mine. I noticed that in the area where there is excessive light, it gives the display a redder hue there, especially when viewed against a grey background. The color of my screen is so uneven. It didn't bother me at first, but after using it last night in low light, it is very noticeable and bothering. The keyboard actually looks like it is a gradient.

I have Apple schedule to call me later this evening to discuss this and I will be asking for a replacement. Hopefully I can get one that is better.

I know some people might think it's a non-issue, but when I pay as much as I did for something thats screen is so important, the color better be uniform across the entire screen. (Or, at least not such as drastic difference in a huge size.)

Attached Files:

15. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Very true, an uniform screen backlight is of utmost importance. I don't care how warm the screen is, if it has dead pixels or minor light leakage, it just has to be uniform.

16. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

what kind of half-assed argument is this?! you're basically making the unsubstantiated assumption that roughly 50% of the produced new ipads are defective in some way by saying "chances are he'd get a defective ipad in exchange".
    as for the OP, you know that you gonna return it. i would with all the issues plus the chip in the case. better do it now before the apple employee say that you did it.

17. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I hate to be so "picky." I bet the average user wouldn't even notice this, but I do a lot of web and graphic design, and it's quite glaringly apparent to me. I thought I would be able to deal with it, but it's just way too annoying.

The people in the "Yellow Tinting" thread actually have it nice. At least most of theirs seems to be uniformly tinted.

18. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

If it really bothers you, yeah sure, take it back :)

19. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a graphic designer as well. I think this OCD and attention to detail is just a nasty byproduct of what we do for a living.

Yeah, I probably will this week. No way was I going to the Apple Store on a weekend, much less iPad launch weekend.

I've been using Apple products for over a decade, and while their stuff is cool, their quality control has fallen off a cliff. It all started with the iPhone 3G. From that point on, they try to crank out so many cutting edge gadgets for the masses that QC is an afterthought. Before the 3G, you would never even think about having to return or exchange an Apple product. It's becoming pretty frustrating.

20. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I would've been at the Apple store yesterday. Stuff like that drives me crazy.

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I think bc there are 2 issues, I would exchange. These are expensive devices, it's not just a shirt or something w a defect.

22. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually ordered two iPads, one 64 GB AT&T and one 32 GB WiFi because I couldn't decide how I would use it, being my first iPad.

I decided on the 64 GB AT&T, and had the 32 GB sitting here, unopened, to return. I read up at Apple will return the unit whether it's opened or unopened, so I went ahead and opened it to compare it to my iPad.

I'm glad I did. Mine has such a pink hue to the whole screen when compared to the 32 GB iPad. Its screen is so much more neutral, and nice and bright. This is the final straw; I will be swapping mine out tomorrow as well as returning the 32 GB model.

23. EarlZ macrumors regular

Return or exchange it, its a no brainer! I dont understand how some people can settle for anything less than what others are getting, sure its gonna be a PIA to have it exchanged several times but the moment you start accepting these kinds of defects is the moment you allow apple to lower its quality control.

Some will say there is no display that is perfect, sure tell that to the other happy ipad users who say that their screen is perfect.

24. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I swapped it out today, and everything about the new one is better...except it has a chip in the aluminum in the lower right corner at least 3x as big as the chip in the first one! :mad:

I must be doing something wrong.

25. doboy macrumors 68000

I would just use it. Aluminum is rather soft and my new iPad 2 had some small chips around the border.