Would you fellow macrumors forum members consider yourselves geeks?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Apr 1, 2008.

?

Would you consider yourself a geek?

1. Yes I regularly wear a pocket protector and always have a scientific calculator on hand.

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No way! I'm just a normal person who likes their macs.

45 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hey, just seeing how many people on this forums would consider themselves geeks, I'm guessing a lot. I wouldn't consider myself a geek, I mean, I like macs and comps in general, but I play three sports, have a social life, I am aware and care about what other people think of me and defiantly don't hang out with the kids labeled as geeks.

So, here's a poll to see how many geeks we got here. :cool:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes i am a geek.
    yes i am a nerd.
    yes i am a dork.

i won't lie.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yes I am a geek but I also have a social life, and care about what people think of me and do not hang out with the geeks. I dno its just that the kids labeled geeks really do act so very geeky and though we share one of the same intresest AKA technology I really can't stand being around them.

My friends are jocks. Im pretty much not. Weird how some things work out...

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i wouldnt consider myself a geek. i dont play sports atm, used to do Athletics (track & field), now i just go to the gym but i love playing and watching footy and cricket. like you i like Macs and computers in general. im curious and i think the internet, hardware and software are interesting. im thinking of building my own PC just because i find it interesting. is that geeky?

seeing as where the world is heading atm everything is done with computers and on the net now. i dont think you can stereotype a geek into one personality these days. but i definitely think that Macs users are trendy geeks if they consider themselves one.

make a poll.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm not a geek, I don't know enough about tech to qualify.

I will, however, admit to spending waaaay too much time on the comp on a certain forum....

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

same with me... :eek:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

8. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

All the stuff I thought was geeky, when I was a kid, is now mainstream. So, we're all geeks.

9. UberGeek9 macrumors newbie

Yes I am a geek, and sadly... somewhat proud of it. :cool:

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yea, I go to the techno blogs, use digg, have more then I need to when it comes to dekstops, laptops, iPods, cell phones(at least until recently)

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Absolutely. I'm obsessed with Mac's, PC's (Just the cool ones like Vaio TZ and Japanese ones and homebuilt), cell phones, SLR's, and almost any other electronic. I'm part of at least a dozen forums.. and I'm not even in high school. :D

12. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Yes, I am a geek.

The class geek.

Ima cool geek, the one that people ask for help alot.

I dont dress like one though, tucking my shirt in is as bad as getting my eyes ripped out for me. -_-

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha you manipulated the poll so much for a one sided answer!

EDIT: on the other hand i think people are voting for option one because its funny... haha pocket protector :D

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not a geek but I have tech knowledge. I would consider myself more of a gismo junky. I like the new gadgets that come out. They fascinate me but not to the point of consuming my life.

15. Sogo macrumors 6502

Yea I think I'm a geek...*pushes glasses to face*

16. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I am a geek....

But, I don't wear pocket protectors or have a scientific calculator on hand - ever!

17. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

I can send you mine! :)

18. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Definitely... total tech geek.

A colleague walked into my office yesterday, and I had a mini disassembled on my desk in the process of upgrading the RAM and HDD. She just rolled her eyes and said something about keeping up my geek image.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I consider myself one who likes technology and gadgets but not a geek. I consider a geek one who allows those things to consume their lives.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Do you really have to ask? :D

Yes I am a geek, but I'm most definitely not nerdy.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Geek, nerd and proud of it.

I used to work for BBC R&D, took a compsci degree, and built my own PCs.

Now I work part time as tech officer for an all-mac charity, and look after my lovely daughter.

I also write plays and had one play produced for a two week run at a community theatre, where it headlined a community arts festival. I also lecture on art at a rather well known gallery, and get Arts Council founding.

Yesterday I caught a mouse running about my kitchen, using an upsidedown bucket and a bit of chocolate. That's definitely a geeky thing to do :)

I just received a SATA-PATA circuit board in the post from HK, and will be using it in my project to fit two SATA 3.5" drives into a single PATA firewire 5.25" external enclosure.

So yeah, arts/sci geek, nerd, and damn proud of it too. BTW I also chair a local deaf association and am a volunteer governor at my daughter's school, so you could call me a community/arts/sci geek.

22. 119576 Guest

I'm not a geek. I'm just hot ;)

I seriously would not consider myself to be a geek. I'm well-educated and proficient in using a computer, but that's not what makes a geek, is it.

23. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I have a pair of those black-framed geek glasses, several plaid shirts, I like Math & Chess, people come to me with computer problems (whereupon I swiftly recommend they purchase a Mac), but since I resemble a young Tom Cruise from the volleyball scene in Top Gun and I don't wear a pocket protector, I don't consider myself a geek. Maybe it's just the absence of a pocket protector...

25. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac