Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i have a 16GB iPad 2 model which if i'm careful i can get away with storage wise. it just means to have to monitor the # of movies i want to be able to watch at any given time when NOT on a wifi network (if i am on wifi, i can stream all of my movies via the pogoplug app).

ideally, the sweet spot is 32GB. that's what i got for my iPhone 4S b/c i knew i would be loading tons of music on it (no need to carry around my iPod Classic 5th gen anymore).

i ended up getting the 16GB iPad 2 b/c the refurb was only $319 and that value can't be beat. yeah sometimes i wish i could carry 10 movies at any given time instead of 5, but oh well. that extra $80 (for iPad 2 32GB refurb) is having a great time in my bank account

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Yes I would definitely chose a 64GB version. 16GB is no where near enough and if I am investing in a 32GB iPad I might as well fork over the extra $100.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Apple might have to up the ante now.....especially if microsofts Surface is gonna come out with a 128gb.....

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Apple might have to up the ante now.....especially if microsofts Surface is gonna come out with a 128gb.....

Competition is always good for the consumer. Hopefully we will see not only a larger screen but more capacity. So long as it doesn't end up thicker than Surface nor have abysmal battery life.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Competition is always good for the consumer. Hopefully we will see not only a larger screen but more capacity. So long as it doesn't end up thicker than Surface nor have abysmal battery life.

Yup, yup! This is gonna get interesting! Can wait to see how it plays out!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Microsoft forced Apple to go 16GB with the 4th gen nano, I remember when they were delayed because Apple threw in the 16GB capacity in the last minute because Microsoft released the Zune 16.

128GB has been long overdue, especially for the iPad.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Always max the capacity. It's better to have more space and not use it, than to need space, lol.:cool:

dontcallmyname

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'd love to be able to have more music on mine. Until my laptop died, I had carefully cultivated a music library that was around 80gb, possibly more. It was awesome, fully of ecclectic stuff. I don't have an ipod (well I do... it's my ipod video from 2008) and I changed from iphone to a htc last year (mistake lol) and I would love to be able to have more music. I'd love all of it, but that's not gonna happen. It'd just be great to have the option of being able to choose from heaps of different songs, rather than the small selection.

Oh and movies would be great.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
If they release a 128GB model with the next version, then I'd consider ditching my 64gb iPad. But I would not drop to a lower capacity.

----------

Only 500 songs? I have over 14,000 in my library, and that doesn't even include movies, TV Shows, and podcasts I have downloaded/purchased over time...
I'm tightish on money and I typically don't buy full albums either (I buy all my music off of iTunes).

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I'm at 64gb Touch, 32gb 4s, & 64gb the New iPad. You've got to go big on the media player toys. :D

Only 32gb 4s? J/p

I agree. The bigger capacities sell easier too when you want to get rid of them.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Interesting variety of views on this, all valid. Depends on one's needs and budget I suppose. In my case, even though I'm only using 11gb so far of my 64gb, I'm still glad I went with a 64gb iPad. One could argue it's a waste of money, but it's also peace of mind knowing never going to be a constraint.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I'm not sure I'd buy a 64gb again with the next generation. Haven't come close to having space constraints, but then again good to have that flexibility and knowledge that it's there. I'm torn on this, and will just have to see.

I will have 16GB jialbroken...and use SD card to stroe my music and movie. Not dropping $719 for 64GB.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I would have gotten a 128GB version if it was available without regrets.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I will have 16GB jialbroken...and use SD card to stroe my music and movie. Not dropping $719 for 64GB.

will the sd adapter allow you to do that yet?

I kept asking and being shot down before, but I haven't checked in a while.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
I have a 16 GB Wifi iPad 3.

1. I have a free 25 GB account on Skydrive thanks to Microsoft, 4 GB on Dropbox, and another 5 GB from Google Drive. All free. I guess nothing's stopping me from making multiple Google Drive accounts, too. Don't forget about iCloud, too. I generally delete big files like recorded movies after recording/watching/uploading.

2. The difference in price between each iteration of the iPad is $100. I can get iTunes match for $25 per year and basically free up the ~8GB of music I have on there.

Concerned about space for when you're travelling?

US airlines are adding Wifi options, so it's feasible to stream music now rather than bringing GBs and GBs of music with you.

There's options like the Seagate wireless HDD that you can tap into for movies or other files for your iPad/iPhones/laptops etc...

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Concerned about space for when you're travelling?

US airlines are adding Wifi options, so it's feasible to stream music now rather than bringing GBs and GBs of music with you.

There's options like the Seagate wireless HDD that you can tap into for movies or other files for your iPad/iPhones/laptops etc...

I travel a lot and prefer the 64gb, as I hate paying any additional fees to US Air. I've seen the Seagate HDD that you mentioned and have actually referred it to one of my storage challenged friends. He has a 16gb iPad2 :p He's not thrilled with it but says it's gotten better. They've updated the firmware and apps a few times.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
will the sd adapter allow you to do that yet?

I kept asking and being shot down before, but I haven't checked in a while.
You can, but then it won't be as silk-smooth as having the music/movies on the internal memory.
As a matter of fact I don't know if any Video Player would take movies from whatever you connect to the CCK (same with music, but iFile has a music player built-in, BUT you won't get ratings or anything).
I don't know if a symbolic link would suffice tho'.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
To be honest, I dont listen to that much music anymore, and I still have my ipod touch 32 gig if I do. I watch movies on netflix so that's also a given.

I do however have a few multi gig games I have had to delete from my ipod once they were beaten.

I guess If I can use the card adapter, and or wireless HDD, a 16 gig will be plenty. Oh I do take a bunch of video with my ipod of the kids, which I believe the ipad will be too much of a brick for unless the ipod is full or something, though the "new" one does have a better camera .

I had broke and gone to the dark side earlier today and snagged a $200 samsung galaxy 10. The store I bought it from sold it refurbished and said I could return it for any reason withing 30 days. However, My Kid ROBBED me of it as soon as they touched it. So I guess Im back in the ipad market, short $200 of my funds. I technically have $400 left, because of skimming for car parts and stuff, but I might could either wait on refurbished of buy used. I am also pondering waiting until the 4th gen, which was the original reason I got a dwoid, thinking I could sell it. And have a tablet untill the newer and hopefully lighter with longer battery life (and hopefully less charge time) ipad.

I like my ipod but apple really should just make em bricks and destroy the nintendo ds, with huge battery life. as it stands I am lucky to get an hour or 2 unplugged playing any decent game right now. Which kind of defeats the purpose of mobile gaming. That would be the real killer of me getting an ipad games. Which I really need to keep it a "business" machine anyway. As I am wanting to use it to go all digital.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.