Would you leave unlocked 2G for ATT 3Gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by email68, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. email68 macrumors regular

    Sep 30, 2007
    I really like the service I have with TMobile on my 2G iphone. I have tzones still at $5.99 and everything works great on it. Plus I pay half of what a typical ATT iphone user does and w/o a contract.

    However, the new 3Gs with the speed increase and other *hardware* features are really tempting.

    Are you going to jump from T-Mobile to ATT for the new iphone?
  2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I would.
    You'd go from Edge slow internet speeds to a potential 7.2MB 3G downloads and a faster phone in general with double the memory and CPU speed.
  3. jav6454 macrumors P6


    Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    I have my 1st Gen unlocked to use anywhere. What I'd do is store it or use it as an iPod.

    I'd say leave your 1st Gen as a back-up in case you have problems with AT&T. (if you can that is)
  4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Jan 28, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

    I'm in a similar case in the UK. Unlocked 2g user contemplating 3GS. The more I think about it though the more I feel I should wait for next years offerings. I'm currently paying £17 a month for unlimited texts and o2-o2 calls with unlimited Internet use. For me to go up to a £45 iPhone contract would be a MASSIVE downgrade in terms of the package I have, so if you're in my situation I think just leave it this time around. :)
  5. gooddeal macrumors regular


    Aug 3, 2008
    I cannot justify to pay an extra $30 + tax /month for 2 years. That's about 800 extra I need to pay plus higher monthly fee than tmobile. I pay $50/month now for 2 lines w tmobile. I don't have data plan bc I can access to wifi 99% of the time.
  6. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 30, 2007
    Same with me. I'm at $43 with text and data on t-mobile. On ATT that would jump to $75 for two years.

    Maybe the 3Gs will be on ebay soon....

  7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Living in Indiana, I'd sure love for any AT&T phone service whatsoever...

    If that even existed here, I'd think about it, but no, I wouldn't do it otherwise, and I'm NOT paying for a data plan when I have ubiquitous Wi-Fi.
  8. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

    Feb 25, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've been with T-mo for over 10 years. Had the 2G. Unlocked. Skipped the 3G cause I didn't think it was enough of an upgrade for me.

    However, at home we're getting terrible reception from T-mo. Called to see what they can do and they couldn't do anything.

    So with the new 3GS coming out, we're switching to ATT. We want the new phone and hopefully better reception at home.
  9. pagansoul macrumors 65816


    Aug 10, 2006
    I purchased my 2G iphone on it's first night out, 6/30/07. I never upgraded to the 3G. Now that my 2 years are almost up, I am thinking about getting the 3GS. I was going to jailbreak my phone but decided to go AT&T. I live in Georgia so the reception is great and I never had any problem with AT&T. The 2 years went by fast. Now the question is 1) do I jail break 2G phone and go back to T-Mo with a cheaper plan and loose features 2) do I sell my 2G and get a 3GS and another 2 years knowing that AT&T may loose their contract with Apple in 1 year 3) Do nothing and keep using my 2G as is for another year and see if other carriers get the next iphone? I have all the time in the world to decide.

    What functions do you loose in jailbreak to T-Mo? E-mail isn't that important to me.
  10. jmann macrumors 604


    Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I've been seriously considering this. I am using an unlocked 3G on my T-Mobile plan, and was considering going to get the 3GS. But I haven't decided if I want the higher monthly bill. :(

Share This Page