Would you like native stylus support with pressure sensitivity?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WalledMacGarden, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Would you like native stylus support with pressure sensitivity?

1. YES, I would love native stylus support with pressure sensitivity.

98 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. NO, I'm just fine the way it is now.

52 vote(s)
    34.7%
  1. WalledMacGarden, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Do you want Apple to offer Native stylus support with pressure sensitivity on a future iPad?

I do, mainly for notes, but art and drawing apps would be off the wall insanely great! I hate using the crappy large tip stylus, I want a precise point.

It would be good for Apple as well, the number of new games and apps you could design around this would be big.

2. lepeos macrumors member

inb4stevejobssaidstylusareforpaedophiles

Yep, tucked away slickly like a Galaxy Note.

3. HabSonic macrumors regular

4. urkel macrumors 68030

If we are to believe tablets are going to replace paper in any way then we can't keep deluding ourselves into thinking "fingers" are the best way to write. The future involves integrating new technology with old so we shouldn't be so tied down to only one type of input method.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

I voted yes. Not sure I would buy it though. The idea of a stylus that works perfectly with an iPad would be pretty cool. At least better than what's out there now.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with my Targus stylus - some apps do just fine with handwriting with the large tips - but improvements would always be welcome. And if styli got "official" approval, maybe more cases would be designed to accommodate them!

7. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

9. urkel macrumors 68030

That statement is questionable because people forget his job is to sell the product in hand, not disclose their future strategies.

While fingers are the best input device for the current "low-res" iPad, it's pretty clear that Stylus and Voice will also be equally as important in communicating with our iPads. And with higher res screens making styluses more useful and Siri maturing then it's time to see the iPad evolve to the next level.

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah but what about the fact the what he said made sense.

People seem to think that because Jobs had a lot of influence (for good reason) that now its time to do the opposite of what he said.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Jobs also once said that touch tablets would not sell without keyboards, that no one would want to watch video on a handheld, and other blatant handwaving. Anything Apple didn't sell _at that moment_ was bad.

What he meant was that you shouldn't _need_ to carry a stylus. Of course, people didn't need to anyway... that was just more handwaving... as fingers and fingertips worked on resistive versions. Heck, women with nails actually liked those screens better.

Now, you STILL don't _need_ a stylus to operate these latest devices. You simply have an OPTIONAL input method using an active pen (a dumb "stylus" is not the right term here) that communicates with the device.

It's no different than also offering voice input. Adding that did not mean that finger input went away.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

styli are nice now. i am sure they could be better. it's not a big issue for me at this point. i am just glad we don't have to rely on the things anymore to use our devices.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

"Never trust a man who has something to sell"

Thats not a slam at Jobs, thats a precaution to anyone who thinks your Honda dealer really believes the best car for you is a 2012 Odyssey.

The concept of "Gorilla Arm" is true, but it is a ridiculous reason to say that touchscreen doesn't belong on computers. Ask any teacher how their arm feels after doing 3 back to back sessions where they're writing on a chalkboard and they'll tell you their arm is sore. So why the heck haven't teacher unions had chalkboards banned from schools? Because sometimes the best methods aren't the most comfortable.

Touchscreen is not the best method of input for 100% of all interaction with your computer, but mixed with voice, keyboard/mouse it is an addition that will enhance the computer experience. So to believe that touchscreen will never hit vertical surfaces because "Jobs had a point when he was selling us a non-touchscreen product" is silly. Touch is the future and Apple will more likely lead the way rather than avoid it.

14. APlotdevice, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, absolutely! I have done some artistic stuff on my iPad, but having a nice fine tipped, active stylus would open up so many possibilities. I could accomplish much of the work I do now with my wacom tablet on my computer.

Also since an active stylus can be distinguished from finger input, I imagine they could build some convenient shortcuts right into the operating system. Like drawing a line over text to have it immediately selected.

15. wilfried macrumors member

I just got Note Taker HD, and being able to take notes on an iPad as if it were a legal pad is a revelation. However, writing with a fat, rubber-tipped stylus is a bit like writing with a primer crayon. The magnification feature makes it workable, but to be able write something like a pen rather than a fat magic marker would take the iPad another big step closer to replacing paper.

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Absolutely!! I was just commenting in another post specifically about this, and about how you can't really draw in any detail due to the low resolution of the touch sensor. I can't believe that Apple, with its pedigree in the graphics market, would not attempt something revolutionary like this. They could open up a new market segment and also provide a nice bump in their list of why people "need" an ipad. The most obvious reason is notes, I mean truly taking notes which reject your palm and are as detailed as what you would feel with a real pen and paper. Another reason is drawing/painting. It's already pretty impressive what some can do drawing on the ipad in a paltry 72dpi, I couldn't imagine drawing in something like 300dpi. The ipad would be a great alternative to the cintiq/wacom tablets and have the added benefit of not needing a PC attached.

If they don't have a capacative stylus in the ipad 3 I'm only crossing my fingers that they increase the resolution of the touch sensor to allow more detailed input.

17. erawsd macrumors 6502

Absolutely, I'd love to see proper stylus support. Between all the note taking/drawing apps and accessories, its obvious there is huge demand for such a thing.

18. Emoo macrumors regular

A thousand times yes! Anything to make it more similar to traditional media and drawing tablets.

This guy is due out in March sometime...

19. scorchedguitar macrumors newbie

Simply put, I'd love to have the support for a stylus in college. My notes would be unbelievably easy to maintain and recall.

20. Bobby Corwen, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

What if the man who is trying to sell you something says something that is true?

Does it make it automatically inversely not true because the man who said it was a salesman?

A trackpad is essentially a glass screen. Why touch the screen when you can just touch the trackpad and even gain quicker leverage over a larger area from a smaller one. For example if you wanted to click the top left corner, on a trackpad you flick your finger and the mouse is there via mouse acceleration, as opposed to moving/hovering your whole hand/arm all the way to the top corner. Its less efficient and a hassle.

Voice commands are a lot less commonly used than you might think by the masses. People don't want to have someone else hear them give commands, its awkwardly intrusive to both parties and is rarely ever useful compared to doing the mouse control version of it. People don't want to disturb their privacy bubble by saying things out loud. Even when you are alone its just awkward.

Maybe I will set a voice timer once in a while, or maybe use Siri while driving. But its so rare.

There is no reason to need a stylus on an iPad. You either use the touch keyboard to take notes, or a bluetooth keyboard. Either way its faster than handwriting. Handwriting is a dead tool. What are you gonna do with handwritten text? Scan it and convert to type text? How is handwritten text superior to typed text on notepad/word in any way? Can you handwrite at 100WPM? I can type a sentence with qwerty faster than I can write one handwritten word. The last thing I ever wrote in cursive was a love letter, --for novelty sake.

For those that need it for some special functions, like kdarling said, it is available to you via 3rd party.

It will never be native because it is incongruent with the iconic and elegant product design which is part of the consumer ownership experience.

21. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

22. urkel, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

No. The point is that historically Jobs has said stuff that was true at the moment, then the company added the feature and suddenly truth was bent (in a good way). Unfortunately we lost Jobs so we'll never know for sure, but he was a visionary that was capable of changing his mind as time and technology progressed so why shouldn't we be as open minded as users?

Completely unfounded conclusion.

Todays OS is NOT touch friendly which is why the HP versions of touch pc's suck. But we're seeing so much progress in both the windows and osx that it's hard to say touch will NEVER be part of it's future.

With that odd rationality then Siri shouldn't exist. Yet it does and all the millions of 4S owners have the OPTION of using it or not using it. Again, these are OPTIONS that aren't forced on users or replacing existing methods.

So is using your car insurance. Yet somehow every motorist in America is paying for it.

Seriously. I think you over explained that one enough that there's no reason to make a rebuttal because clearly you aren't able to see that individual people have individual needs and preferences.

Oh brother... :eek: I wish I read this part before wasting time responding. Apple didn't get where it is by being stagnant and focusing solely on elegance and design. They keep making their mark in history because they take something people don't care much about and doing it right.

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Steve will never know!

It would be nice to take handwritten notes on the iPad. Would help me a LOT in the field.