Would you pay more for a better made Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Aug 1, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I have been using Apple computers since the original Apple II. It seems that since Apple moved the factory to China few years ago, there have been quality control problems. For example, I bought a MacPro few weeks ago. When I opened the box, there were scratches and dirts all over the case. As for the Macbook Pro, people have been reporting problems such as peeling and small dots near the palm rest. (I got those dots in about two months of use last year.) There was a problem with the LCD screen of my MBP. Apple Japan exchanged one for me but there were dark corners. I complained and the manager at Apple store told me that he knew nothing about technical issues. He just listened to the opinion of those stupid Genius. After wasting few hours at the Apple store, I ended up taking the MBP with dark corners. (The manager did not do anything to solve my problem. He told me to go ahead and complaint to the main office. Apple Japan is the worst company I ever encountered in Japan.) Personally, I would pay more (perhaps 10-15%) for a better made computer under better quality control. Would you?

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

a) is your mac under warranty still...doesnt that take care of the screen?
    b) do you have applecare...doesnt that take care of the screen?

I would assume you just bring it to any apple store and they will take care of it. not sure why you had so much trouble.

Concerning the cracks and dirts...

Not sure why your mac was dirty when it was opened. That was weird.

The cracks...although my pc laptops dont have cracks..certain things start to wear. I dont know if i would pay 10-20% more so it wont get cracks a year after i purchase. if a mac goes for base 1100...adding 200 for crack-free..hmm i dunno.

3. MattKanzler macrumors member

for a totally functioning, problem free product? of course.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Wait. I thought Macs were already better made. :mad:

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

About the screen, it was under warranty. So, they replaced the screen for me for free. However, the new one has dark corners. They refused to exchange for a dark corner-free screen for me.

As for the scratches and dirts of the MacPro, I questioned the sales at the Apple online store if they sent me a refurbished one. She said that it shouldn't and she would make sure that I would get a problem-free one if I gave them a second chance. However, it would take 7-10 days as the machine would be shipped directly from the factory in China.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I dont know the details of the warranty...is there a clause..that you cant get 2 screen replacements within a certain time period?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

sad

This is disheartening, I thought I already was paying a premium for a better built computer...:(

Yes, I know this forum's small sample size is not indicative of the entire line, but you can't deny that the quality control has gone down slightly since the introduction of Intel chips AND Apple's booming popularity.

My 12" powerbook, the last of its kind, feels SOLID. I can't say the same about the new line of apple laptops and it's too bad.

8. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I think this is typical with any company. I remember the first DELL systems that came out. They were solid, never died, etc. Then they got bigger and bigger, and before you know it; garbage...

Apple isn't at that point, at least I don't think so. But as costs increase to do more, then they're choice is to build systems like tanks, but also charge a high premium. Or, try to stay somewhat in line with other manufacturers, and outsource to China. The days of "Made in the USA" are all but gone, face it. I do think Apple can improve some of the durability issues, without increasing cost substantially. But the idea that they'll make things as solid as they did with the old PowerBooks, etc. is a stretch IMHO...

9. portent macrumors 6502a

Yes, I would, but are there enough people like me to influence the market?

PCs and Macs used to be more reliable, hardware wise, than they are now. They also used to cost much more. Costs came down, quality came down. Now, instead of paying $2000 for a decent PC that would run for ten years (OS reinstalls notwithstanding) you pay $700 for a PC that will run for two years (OS reinstalls notwithstanding) before needing a major component replaced.

Macs are a little more expensive, and a little more sturdy, but they are not immune to the trend.

Most people just wouldn't go for it. Technology becomes obsolete too fast; we'd rather just send it to the landfill and get a new one.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Completely agreed. And if they were more upgradable it would be better. Also, increased reliability would help Apple's reputation.

11. The Hammer macrumors regular

That the advertised claim.

12. MattKanzler macrumors member

I think that apple puts out superb products that surpass the competition. However, as I think we can all agree...nothing is perfect...even a brand new mac. There will be issues with anything you buy, but it is my opinion that you are much more likely to have less issues with a mac.

Plus...they cool oh so cool

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I was under the impression that we were already paying more for a better quality product? Macs are already expensive as it is.... and dont tell me we are paying for OSX because that retails for $129

15. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I expect high quality when I pay high prices. Simple as that.
    But, I would be prepared to pay more to guarantee an absolutely perfect screen (no dead pixels etc) whether that be on an iMac/, MB/MBP, or ACD.

16. nomade macrumors member

nomade

I would gladly pay a premium for

I would gladly pay a reasonnable premium for a better build Mac book pro.

The three last MBP I bought were having problem with the dvd burner.

Apple have honored the warranty but I had the leave my computer for a couple of days for reparation each time wich is very annoying.

The Mac is now a more competitively prices computer but the quality have follow the price :(

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

There made in exactly the same factory by exactly the same people who make PC parts, Foxconn and Asus.

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Nobody but Apple can trend the defect ratios so I don't know if you can claim quality control issues. You only read more complaints because they sell more computers and unhappy people are louder than satisfied customers.

19. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

You ARE paying for Mac OS X (well, part of the premium anyway). The $129 cost supposes you've already paid for Apple hardware. Think about it - this is a reason why it's so cheap for an OS, and doesn't have installation numbers and stuff - chances are, you've already paid Apple money for the hardware if you're buying the next OS.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The 12" powerbook had it's fair share of problems - personally I've never had a problem with any of my Macs and think my recently purchased 24" iMac is possibly the best built computer I've ever owned.

21. muldul macrumors 6502

Yes i would, if it meant saving money and hassle on apple care and repairs

22. kabunaru Guest

And I could say the same thing about my Core Duo MacBook.

Not all Intel Macs are bad.

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

nope

Oh, I never said that they were nor do I think that they are.

It's just different.

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Go to that site you linked to and read the macbook's defects.

10x longer than the list of 12" powerbook defects.

As much as I love my macbook, it's quality is not up to par with past generations of apple notebooks.

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

*rolls around hysterically on floor*
    *looks at comment*
    *rolls around again*

I would do so but slightly grudgingly with the current crop of gear - since other companies seem to be able to crank out significantly better made and better engineered machines for considerably less in some cases. If design took even more of a front seat *and* it was better made and engineered, I'd certainly pay significantly more - but then the rest of the proles will be wailing that it's too expensive again.