Would you prefer the next MacBook Pro to not have an Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, Oct 31, 2010.

?

Would you prefer the next MacBook Pro to keep the Optical drive?

1. No - Optical media is dying

87 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Yes - We can't do without it

66 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Remove it from the 13" and 15" and leave it on the 17"

28 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

Advantages:
    More room for battery = better battery life
    More room for better processor and GFX
    Thinner
    Lighter

The point of the poll [is] to get a better idea on how many ppl want the optical and how many don't. The other threads are filled with trolls and people who just complain in both sides of the argument.

Moderator Note: Please keep this thread on topic.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

They cant go any thinner unless they remove ethernet port.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i agree with tjb1

also, they should just remove the drive and put bigger battery or 2nd hdd.

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

If the optical drive is removed, then you can't watch DVDs. This is a dealbreaker as I have Netflix.

5. Corato macrumors newbie

More room for for Flash, 16GB RAM, and HD in a smaller lighter chassis.

6. ender21 macrumors 6502

I've seen notebook computers whose ethernet ports were very thin and you plugged your cable in vertically, rather than horizontally. It was essentially a pop-out jack, and you slid it into the case when not in use.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd like for the optical drive to stay so I can take i out and put in an optibay so I have two hard drives in my MacBook Pro. :)

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Optical drives have failed on all of my MacBooks. I don't use the drives much and my MacBooks are all in pristine condition (no keyboard wear either). When the optical drive fails, the pre-boot environment tries to access it and obviously fails. Boot times go from 30 seconds to 5 minutes because of this. I've had to disconnect the drive's ribbon cable to remedy this.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Oh absolutely! Please get rid of the dinosaur.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

macook pro without the optical drive

well isnt the macbook air already there doing that? besides the macbook pro is for video editing and all, so im pretty sure the optical drive is necessary (to like export to drive), but of course an external TB or optical drive also does the work.. maybe a future possibility... who knows..

11. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I think it would be the height of insanity to remove the optical drive

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Excellent point. Everyone who wants a Macbook Pro should get a Macbook Air instead. Who needs the possibility of a quad core CPU and great GPU anyway, when we have 64GB of solid state storage? </sarcasm :p>

As an Australian citizen, pre-NBN (national broadband network) and presently limited to ADSL 1 in my area, I would far rather use a combination of my crappy internet and an external DVD drive so Apple could squeeze more battery, a better CPU and GPU, and a whole lot of MBA-esque SSD storage into the next MBP.

I also would not have a problem carrying around said external DVD drive in my back-pack or maybe future suitcase, especially if it was nice and thin.

13. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

I voted "still want the optical drive", thinking that soon we won't need it but not quite yet, but... I think once the os x app store is out and everyone sells software through that, we can get rid of it.

I must admit I like my music CDs and my old windows games, but I guess I could cope with an external for those rare moments and enjoy the benefits of the extra space (more power/more battery life/lighter).

14. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I barely use it so I wouldn't have a problem with it being removed. There would be an option to have an external one or perhaps like the air, the ability to use the one in another machine wirelessly.

I think optical drives are on their way out.

15. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

just get rid of the optical drives! i guess some people sometimes use it...but for those an external is the solution. a laptop should be focused on mobility. thus - more battery and/or smaller footprint.

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I would prefer a removable optical drive in a modular bay. Removing it saves weight but not bulk which is a fair compromise. This method also enables swapping it out for an extra hard drive or other kind of removable media drive.

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

external DVD drives are like 20$ :D

18. electronique macrumors 6502

+1.. Hell yeah.

In fact. A lot more room for lots of stuff... In thinking that. I dont think thats its coming this time around.. But soon.

They could really re-design the whole inards of the MBP. Im not up with CPU's and GPUs. But could we see a better GPU slotted in there?

19. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Definitely. I am waiting to upgrade until there is a new GPU in there.

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

We can't do without it... for now. Give it a year or two.

21. pmkoch macrumors regular

They made the MacBook Air for these exact reasons, why would they get rid of the features of the MacBook just to have another MacBook Air?
    I wouldn't count on Apple axing the Optical Drive anytime soon.

22. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'd love if that happend this past year. A 15" laptop that can compete with desktops would be great. The problem is Apple doenst make that many options. It's not like you'll have a MBP w/ or w/o optical drives on the checkout screen. I think for the time being the MBP will have the optical drive and until we can get smaller and more powerful chips inside the MBA's the MBP will be the closest thing to a 'desktop replacement' in the Apple line of notebooks.

23. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

External Optical Drive
    it's slim, light-weight and cheap

24. miata macrumors 6502

Terrible Survey Wording

I'll be using optical media media for a whiole -- primariiy burning DVDs and Blu-rays disks. But, I would much prefer not to carry a SuperDrive around with me when I NEVER use it aware from home.

I don't buy into media going away. Sure I stream all my home videos at home to an Apple TV. The family just loves it. HOwever, the only reasonable way for me to "share" stuff with others is vi DVD and BD media.

I'm also one of those people that prefers to own classic movies -- whether old or new. I just play them on my big plasma with surround sound -- not my laptop.

Glenn

25. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Love to see it go away. Add more battery, more ram, a second SSD for the OS and core use applications. And maybe a cup holder ?