Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
If it wasn't an :apple: watch, I'd be seriously considering the Fitbit Surge instead, but waiting for more solid reviews of both.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
My suspicion is that some people here would buy some other smartwatch because they were already interested in the category, and truly want one. The rest (more than half?) would go on and on about how smartwatches are stupid. Not unlike large screen phones...

Camusrieux

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Your post is mostly NA. Because if it wasn't Apple it couldn't have the integration and functionality with the Apple ecosystem.

Well, that's sort of an ambiguity in the question, right? The Watch, as currently conceived, does have extensive integration and functionality within the Apple ecosystem. If it had all that—if whoever had produced this thing had successfully managed to embed it in said ecosystem—but it just wasn't made by Apple, then would we buy it?

It's a little hard to imagine that situation, but (1) the OP doesn't say anything about the Watch, in this hypothetical, not being as well-integrated as the real-life Watch is and (2) a non-integrated Watch is a totally different, and far less valuable, product than the real-life one is. So what's the point of asking the OP's question if, in asking it, you're presuming right off the top that the hypothetical Watch is a significantly less worthwhile product than the real one is?

Anyway, to answer the question: I've already bought a Pebble, and this is a clearly superior product; and it's far better connected to my iPhone (obviously) than Android Wear watches are, even if one finds them competently executed. So yes, I would buy this (fully integrated) product, even if it weren't from Apple.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
No, unless there's another watch that works as seamless as the Apple Watch. Even the Pebble doesn't.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
The battery life is fine. Do you want one that lasts 2 days so you forget to charge it when you charge your phone or would you still charge it every night even if it lasted 2 days?

I've seen this point made by others and I must say..... I kind of agree.

Ever since I left my old company to work for myself and office out of my house, I'm on wifi all the time.

My iPhone 6 battery life is awesome. I forget to charge it now. I could totally seen that happening with the watch.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
100% duck no. If it wasn't Apple with its integration I wouldn't dare pay over $400 for this rubber strapped square watch. I'd stick with my pebble or look at a moto 360 which you can get for under $200. I'd even think about the Sony watch.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I wouldn't likely have bought it if it wasn't Apple, and Apple was still rumored to come out with one. I would have waited to see what Apple did. I don't really want a completely different smartwatch. My iPhone is becoming more and more a hub for my life.... and the way the Apple Watch extends that fits well with my usage. I don't think any other company would ever have a chance to do as well with a watch... and its worth a little more for me to have that integration and stability that Apple products usually bring to the table. And, you know if its Apple they are in it for the long haul, and that will continue to attract developers to keep producing for it. Any other platform its a crap shoot whether it will survive or not, and that means way less developers. I did try using an Android phone for about 6 months earlier this year and it was one of the most frustrating things ever (Galaxy S5), so I have no interest in any of the Android watches.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
It is not about Apple brand watch or not, is about iOS.
I will not purchase a smart watch does not run on iOS, as long as I own iPhone.
There is no way in the world other OS will have better integration with iPhone, which run proprietary iOS as same as AW.
Remember AW is an accessories and extension of iPhone, how could you have better extension when they don't even run same OS.

davygee

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
Saltcoats, UK
It's hard to imagine seeing as Apple products are the integration of hardware, software and good design. It's like trying to imagine an a 3rd party tablet that runs iOS.....I just can't get my head round that.

There is so many potential problems, ie. where do the Apps come from and how do you get them on the Watch.

Added to that, there are very few devices on the market that can match the design and build of Apple products, so again, it's hard to imagine a good looking smartwatch that runs iOS flawlessly.

Anyway, if somehow, some manufacturer managed to do that, then of course I would be interested, but I certainly won't have paid the same money for it.

The problem I have, is that mobile phone, tablet and possibly smartwatch wise; the only manufacturer that I would regard as premium and am willing to pay premium prices for, is Apple. I have a hard time thinking of Samsung and LG etc of being premium manufacturers and as such, although I would still purchase their products, I certainly wouldn't want to pay anywhere near as much for them, even if they are regarded as comparable or potentially better.

GaryNoine

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2015
Atlanta
Hell no, but I didn't get it just because it has the Apple logo. As said before, I got it because it's purposely designed to work with my phone. The notifications alone are worth buying it

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
So would you have purchased the watch design with the band of choice if it wasnt apple??

Im thinking I would have passed hate to say
No. The watch is my least favorite apple product thus far because of how limited its use is.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
No. Only Apple makes products that work so seamlessly together. I hate spending much money on products with flaws. I've never had any problem with any of my Apple products. I'm all in and I'm never going out, no matter how cool and beautiful competitors' products may look.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
Hell no, but I didn't get it just because it has the Apple logo. As said before, I got it because it's purposely designed to work with my phone. The notifications alone are worth buying it
Actually it's the first Apple product that doesn't have an Apple logo onto it ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.