iPhone XS Max Would you recommend the XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dotzero123, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Owners: Would you recommend the XS Max?

1. Perfect - Love the XS Max and Would Recommend to Other Buyers

70.9%
  2. On the Fence - Having 2nd Thoughts - Would Recommend With Reservations

9.7%
  3. Love it but having data/voice/speaker/connectivity problems

8.6%
  4. Returned for technical reasons

3.4%
  5. Returned for other reasons

5.7%
  6. Bugger off: I don't want to vote

4.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

Plenty of people (myself included) love the look of the XS Max and are drooling over the potential of Apples newest flagship phone. Please feel free to respond to the poll or make recommendations for ways that this could be improved.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Would I recommend the iPhone XS Max? (Based on your thread title).

It Depends. Does someone appreciate the larger form factor and can they justify the price for what it’s offering? Those are two major considerations if I would be able to recommend it for somebody or not.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Highly recommended. The huge screen plus the biggest screen to body ratio in any iPhone, with such colour accuracy is really a joy just to look at it. Together with the benefits shared with the smaller XS, e.g. much better photos and videos, speed, etc.

ah... and dual SIM on the XS Max! (We actually have two physical nano SIM lots here in Hong Kong.. the best for us who frequently travel to mainland China), I couldn't be happier with it. The only thing that matters is the cost, which is not a big concern to me.

4. DiamonDecoden macrumors 6502

DiamonDecoden

If you can financially afford it, I would recommend. I do find The price steep for one phone. I feel the Apple MacBook or even iPad are so much more worth their price tag than the iPhone. Eventhough I love the max, I can't help to feel it is slightly (maybe a lot!) overrated.

I would recommend the lower priced XR as it's much better value for iOS even when I own the max.

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I just read the full review of the XS from AnandTech. The CPU inside the XS is actually comparable to a mid-range Intel Skylake processor. Every component inside is top of the line and Android phones can't even compare. Together with the much improved camera and the gorgeous OLED display.. and that you can't get anything cheap now given the inflation and tariff........I understand the inflated price of smartphones and I'm already out of the age that the cost of a phone matters a lot to me.

6. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Love mine. Connectivity isn't as good as the X, in my personal experience but I'm hoping Apple or the carriers will get it taken care of. Taking the risk since its past the 14 day return window, so i'm crossing my fingers.

Other than that, the screen is absolutely fabulous. This is the screen size without bezels I've been waiting for for years.

7. DiamonDecoden macrumors 6502

DiamonDecoden

Sounds like you're already sold on it. I can't blame you, I'm the same wanting the top of the line.

The issue I'm having on the max is WiFi connectivity. Hopefully, that'll get solved soon.

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

If you’re cool being on a yearly plan, yea it’s worth it. Expensive, but it’s pretty much perfect. Big, but I got used to it quickly.

9. lovetamarav macrumors regular

The size of the phone and screen are absolutely perfect. I was not sold on it when they first announced it. The price is steep.

But as soon as I held one I was sold. It’s gorgoeus and the screen size is exactly what I’ve been wanting out of my iPhone X. I honestly didn’t like my X at all. The bigger phones feel more comfortable in my hands.

I have had some WiFi issues. Hoping that will be resolved shortly.

10. revyaanshu macrumors newbie

As someone who is coming from a iPhone 6s (since launch) to a Xs max, I can say it's been quite a leap! I was tilting towards the Xs due to the comfortable size. But after looking at the big beautiful display and better battery life, I ended up letting go of one handed use. Got used to the size in a couple of days. It's heavy though, my fingers were a little sore first couple of days.

That being said, I wish apple does give some software exclusives to make use of all that screen estate. And atleast make room for battery percentage, there is definitely space for that!

11. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Love the phone, but the wifi and LTE issues need to get resolved.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Having had the X, the only upgrade option for me was the Max.

Love the max.

It’s funny to hear people say it’s sound big, as they pull out the + series phone. SMH

13. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

14. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

What issues?

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yes if you love the bigger devices...love mine does everything I need it to.

16. cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

Had the XS for a week and felt underwhelmed so I took it back and exchanged it for a 256gb XS Max. I love the Max! So glad I exchanged it. So if you like big phones you should like it.

17. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I'm coming from the X and so far I like it. Have a week left to change my mind. Just finding it a bit heavy to hold in bed for prolonged reading but I am adjusting.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would recommend it to someone who likes a big phone, beautiful screen, excellent camera, dual SIM, first class customer service, and a wonderful ecosystem.

19. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Just read through the 90 page thread up above. It’s pretty awful.

20. now i see it, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

now i see it macrumors 68040

No one should blindly take a recommendation for this particular iPhone. In fact, a recommendation for the max is worthless. Anyone considering this phone definitely should try it out for themselves and see if it's what they want.
    If anyone asked me about it, (and I don't own one and have never played with one) I'd tell them that poor wireless connectivity in fringe areas is a known issue for many users, some of the displays are very yellow, the colors shift when the display is tilted off axis, text sometimes blurs when scrolling, the display gives sensitive people headaches and eyestrain, the camera is the best ever, and go try it out for yourself. And the safe bet is to get an 8 plus.

21. BAZ1307 macrumors member

So incredibly jealous of the people with no issues on their XS Max. I’ve had so many defective phones replaced that I feel like giving up. But I love the phone and the size of it’s screen, it’s the perfect phone, if it wasn’t for the issues I’ve been having.

22. aneftp macrumors 601

I would recommend xs max to those with 2 year old or older iPhone 7 Plus/6 plus owners.

It’s really not worth it to upgrade from iPhone X or 8 plus. Cause the A11 to A12 performance is only 15% faster. Not the big jump from A10 to A11.

Sure the camera may be better. But the 8 plus/x camera was already very good.

I only upgraded from 8 plus cause I sold it for $500 and literally used it for 10 months for free factoring in my $300 gift card promo I got in beginning of November 2017 with the 8 plus.

If I’d had paid $800 plus taxes and no promo. I would have just kept it for another year.

23. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

My point was not everyone has them.

iPhone XS Max is awesome

24. dotzero123 thread starter macrumors regular

dotzero123

Wow! So far 48 recommends. Now I've got to figure out how to get my hands on one. I'm coming from a 7+ and it works so well but the wow factor w/ the Xs Max can't be ignored. Just a bit skeptical re: connectivity and such that I'm hemming and hawing. It would appear that lots of folks haven't been too affected or put off by antenna gate.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

How many replaced and for what issues?