Would you replace your computer with a ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinnoks, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Pinnoks macrumors newbie

Depending on how apple upgrades the next ipad, would you ever consider replacing you computer with an ipad? For what i use my computer for, all i really need is to surf the web, write documents and slideshows, skype, and the occasional game. If the next ipad allows you to sync your ipod and has a front facing camera, then there would really be any point in me keeping my macbook pro.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

May work for you ... however I need a real computer and I do not see any Tablet becoming a real computer any time soon. :cool:

3. Illustrial macrumors member

Well for starters, it's pretty much essential to have a computer in order to sync the iPad. So it wont replace it in this respect.

However, based on what you seem to use your computer for, the iPad could probably replace it.

I personally wouldn't do it though. Having a computer with a full-fledged OS, is and will always be a preference over an iPad. Besides, I do far too many things on my computer that I can't do on my iPad, which would make it difficult to use iPad only.

It could work out for you though, as long as you have a computer to sync to though (from what I've read, I assume you might get rid of your MBP).

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for me, NO. NEVER. the ipad will never be able to replace my imac + dual monitor setup, my servers, and my tens of TB storage. so thats a no!

:)

5. Maaz macrumors 6502a

I still need my desktop but I bought the ipad as a replacement for a laptop. And its perfect so far. Especially since I can use Logmein app to control my desktop anytime I need a feature a computer has over an iPad. And air video is amazing. The ipad was a computer replacement as a laptop for me.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, there's no way an iPad could even come close to the power, flexibility and storage that I need for my computer.

I'm running a Core i7-930 with 6gb of ram, and a 1.5 Terabytes of storage.

As I sit here typing this, I'm connected remotely to my laptop, uploading pictures from Aperture to my smugmug account, having my Rapidweaver application open as I update/edit my webite while listening to music.

Even if the iPad had multitasking had some of that functionality, using a tablet for what I'm doing makes no sense at all.

Yeah for some who just surf, do facebook stuff and email. The iPad could replace the computer, it could not

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1.5TB is achievable for an iPad through SSD, etc. but not feasible at all!

i totally agree with what you said, a tablet could never do all those tasks - unless you had superior voice control or something

9. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Not my main computer, no. An iPad doesn't even come remotely close to being enough to replace what I do with my desktop PC. It never can.

It HAS however - for all intents and purposes - replaced my laptop, which was my "entertainment room" computer and travel computer (for email and internet). I've hardly touched my laptop since I got the iPad in September.

Mike

10. Pinnoks thread starter macrumors newbie

What if somewhere down the track, (ipad 3,4,5) you could use your ipad as a type of macmini, accept it has a screen, and is a lot smaller, now that would be awesome.

11. Pinnoks thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you really need a computer to sync the ipad? Can't you just download everything straight onto the ipad from itunes and the app store?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can, if you only want content from iTunes. Me, I like to rip stuff from CD/DVD. Can't do that on an iPad.

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The iPad must be connected to a computer with iTunes if you ever wish to update it as well as backing it up. You can purchase music and apps from the device itself though. You could probably get away with syncing it once a month. Even then there's an App called WifiSync on Cydia that allows you to sync over your Wifi network. A planned upgraded release would let you sync over 3G as well.

14. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

No, never. I use my laptop for video editing and needless to say an ipad (or any touch screen tablet) will never be able to accomplish that. Plus I enjoy my 17 inch monitor.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes(ish). Microsoft and Samsung are working on a slate that accepts touch input, as well as stylus input. Combine with some handwriting recognition software and a descent slate UI for Windows 8, and I'd ditch my laptop for a tablet.

Of course Apple would never do something like this, so I would never switch to an iPad, but I could see myself ditching the traditional laptop form factor one day.

16. Resist macrumors 68030

If the iPad got rid of the need to sync and could do everything a computer does, then yes I would use it in place of my laptop. I can't wait for the day when it becomes more than a larger iPhone.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Nope it sure won't replace my desktop or laptop, but it is a nice supplement.

Hey they have been making Windows tablets for 10+ years. Why have you been waiting so long? Even had Windows XP Tablet Edition. The Compaq/HP TC 4400 even came with a stylus.

18. ReelAction macrumors member

+1, and also if one routinely creates/modifies documents the iPad leaves a lot to be desired in both performing this and in managing the files.

I do use the iPad for travel, since I can set up the docs I need/want prior to setting out, via iTunes, but that does require me to use my MBP computer.

19. McGilli macrumors 6502

For me it replaced my 'second' computer. I have a macbook pro for main use - and I had a macbook air for other things like reading news, and mostly recording live dj sets with a Griffin iMic adapter.

The current ipad does all that perfectly (imic adapter works on the iPad with the camera usb connector) in a much easier to carry form, so I sold my MBA.

20. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

I use my Ipad for music to listen to when away from the house and playing a game here and there on the Ipad that i have loaded on the unit along with a few applications i use in my personal needs in my life along with useing with the bult in Wifi system to surf the internet here and there in places that offer free Wifi to there customers ..

So i have replaced my laptop with the ipad when i travel for it a lot easlyer to carry around and use everyday when iam away from the home ..my laptop became the home base computer system if i need a heavy duty computing needs..

21. Pinnoks thread starter macrumors newbie

Not yet anyway.

22. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

Nope. I need my laptop, and my ipad is a great supplement, especially when I have to move to the different classrooms I teach in. I'll always probably keep both.

23. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Yes, absolutely I'd get rid of my desktop (actually let it atrophy and never upgrade) if the iTunes requirement wasn't there. The iPad does everything I need. I'm not one to sit at a desktop for hours endlessly collecting and managing songs and videos.

24. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

"Supplement, nice!" :)

But to answer OP´s question: No.

Laptop hmm... perhaps, but certainly not with the current iPad. Depends what features iPad 2 will have...

But MBA could still be a better choise for me when the iPad 2 is here, ´cause I don´t like "iPhone web experience" on a big screen, but I do like touchscreen tablets. :)

25. jazziethomas macrumors member

Nope, I would never replace my MBA with an iPad for there are plenty of things that you can't do with an iPad that you can do in laptop or desktop.