Would you return this rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinMHC, Jan 26, 2013.

1. KevinMHC macrumors member

Just received my refurb 13" rMBP and noticed the rubber around the screen is misaligned:

[​IMG]

would you return or exchange ?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No I wouldn't return it based on the picture. I could easily live with and overlook it as long as it didn't pose a functional problem.

However, if you're not happy with it, take it back for an exchange.

3. bithacker macrumors newbie

If it isn't pulling out of the bezel and doesn't affect the operation (like closing the lid), I wouldn't be bothered by it.

4. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

it doesn't affect anything at all... but it is kind of annoying.

Since this is a refurb, Could I exchange this in store? or would I have to contact apple and have it shipped?

5. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Can it be simply pushed back into place with your thumbnail?

You're asking us but you are the one who needs to make that choice. Depends on how much it bothers you! Apple will probably take it back, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle!

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would absolutely return!

7. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

yea i tried pushing it back but it seems like the glue there is weak and can't hold it in place or the rubber is disfigured

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Tough call really. Eventually the rubber all around it will come off if you don't glue it yourself.

9. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

If it bothers you, return it. If you are sure you can't fix it. I would try a tiny, tiny bit of glue on the end of something pointy, then get it in the right place and hold it there for a while. Wouldn't recommend it to people unless they are 100% sure they could fix it without leaving any trace of it though. Also, i guess there would be some warranty issues.

10. kensic macrumors 6502

i would exchange for a different one in a heart beat, the sag WILL ONLY GROW a time goes by. exchange it now while you can.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why not contact Apple and find out what your options are? You may be able to take it into a store and have it exchanged, or they may just replace the display. I'm sure there is an option to send it in for repair as well.

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No I wouldn't if it was brand new and not a refurb maybe but as it is no.

13. dvdgorila macrumors newbie

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I would return it.

Although it doesn't seem like a big deal now, the problem will likely persist and worsen in the future.

It will also take off a portion of your MBPs value in general (i.e. resale).

15. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Easiest thing to do is if you have an Apple Store nearby, is to make a Genius appointment and see if they can fix it on the spot.

They would probably be open to repair or exchange no questions asked. Personally I'd be obsessive enough that it would bother me, and I'd end up exchanging it.

I wouldn't return it, refurbs are usually really good quality (at least from Apple).

16. dma550 macrumors 6502

Have you invested time in setup? As a developer it takes me a long time to set a machine up. If you have, fix first, then return.

I'll admit to hanging on to dogs over the years (PC laptops) that I WISH I returned. Broken clamshell on an old Toshiba, squeaky keyboard, etc. I now have a few days "break-in" where I scrutinize but don't invest any time or get too attached ;)

17. Kabe Ayofe macrumors newbie

Definitely return it, over time it'll probably get worse.

18. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

19. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

That kinda thing bugs me too... OCD kickin in.

You could make it symmetrical and do the same thing on the other side?

20. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Return it while you still can, rather than later on wishing you did. It bothered you enough to start this thread, it'll bother you later on..

21. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

22. Ann P macrumors 68020

Return it. That would definitely bother me, and I can only imagine the material falling out further down the line.

23. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I would return it because it has a potential to worsen far beyond what it is at.

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, don't return it. Contact Apple and ask them to repair it. If they can't/won't, then return it.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It is significant enough to warrant a replacement... However if it was me I wouldn't bother - I'm too lazy to go through the hassle of returning it over a minor problem like that. Besides, unless you baby it for it's whole life your MacBook will probably get dings, dents and scratches much worse than that ;)