would you sell your retina macbook pro on Ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by busterbluth, Jun 15, 2012.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

9to5mac.com had a story where new RMBP's are selling for up to 1700 over the retail price. As someone that has a late 2008 MBP that still runs great, this is sounding very tempting. I definitely don't need a new laptop. i could pocket the change and then order another one. Anyone else thinking of doing this?

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

It would be a decent decision if you want to make some extra cash.

With that being said, be sure to ship carefully and add insurance (preferably make the buyer purchase this)

3. leenak macrumors 68020

I think your timeframe for such is narrowing as shipments are going out, stores are starting to get them, etc.

And are the systems actually selling or just on eBay? There is a difference between something being listed for sale and something selling.

4. omgitswes Guest

why are they selling for so much? Can people not just order it from Apple or go to the store

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

People are stupid. Why on earth would you pay $1k more for a laptop just to get it sooner :confused:

6. thetechteen macrumors member

considering it but that would suck to wait 2 weeks to get it to just send it away...

then again I could use an extra $1700. I'll check ebay out once I get the computer.

7. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

Totally agree!!

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I went and looked at ebay. The current listings with bids are either selling below retail or slightly above (there is one that shows $2250 for the base $2199 model. That is a bit of a bargain for people who don't get discounts and pay taxes. I paid $160 in taxes alone)

I'm guessing you might be able to make a couple hundred dollars IF you didn't pay sales tax and got a discount of some sort but otherwise, it will probably be a wash.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I wouldn't sell any electronics on Ebay. Place is overrun with shady folks now.

10. NoMoreSony macrumors member

If you try to check MBP-R prices on eBay right now - you'll find quite a number of offers in range $2245-2800. Sure, you have absolutely no chances to loose your money. Just offer it to 9to5mac, because they told you about easy way to get some fast money. So, they have to prove it to you :) .

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Right now there's one that's at $4,000, but it only has one bid. So that means there's one stupid person. Most of the others seem to be reasonably close to normal price, and most of them have no bids. There's one going for $1999...plus $150 in shipping :rolleyes:

OP, this is really not a good way to try to make fast cash. Some people might be willing to pay a little extra to get it sooner, but most people are willing to wait. And as shipping times start to decrease again (which they will) there won't be any benefit for people to get it off eBay. That, coupled with the inherent risks of eBay (buyers claiming items were broken, etc.) are good reasons to avoid it.

12. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I am guessing the buyers are from Asia....Apple products sell at ridiculous prices there. I would be completely skeptical to ever sell a high priced item over there, Ebay always favors the buyer and protection is limited. Read up on putting a claim in through that Postal Insurance by the way if you ever needed to....horror stories. This would be a case of Seller beware!!!

13. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Many of the buyers are international where either the product hasn't arrived yet or it is extremely expensive to purchase MBPs.

I sold my iPad 3 to someone in UAE for $1200. He said to mail it as a gift and claim the value at $0 so he didn't get charged any customs. It all worked out in the end.

14. wmage macrumors member

Hypothetically,

if I was lucky enough to buy it around now,

and had a chance to sell it for $3000 or more,

I would definitely go for it - it would cut down the price to $1.400! Wow!

15. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

By this weekend there will be hundreds posted. Many will be like you or me that are out to look at a hefty profit and will mark it up high. Unfortunately those deals only occur within the first few days. I just check and already see some dealers that have 10+ units available and marked up only +$200 from original.

If I had gotten mine on Tuesday, I would have definitely put it up on eBay.

16. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I looked into it but to be honest I didn't see that great of a profit for the model that I have. They only seemed to be selling for $3kish. After ebay and paypal rip a retardedly huge chunk out of the final amount, and I pay for shipping, I was only looking at a minimal profit. Not worth the hassle when I had already worked my arse off to get one in the first place with no gurantee of another. Now I just need to figure out how to get bootcamp going since the new retina has no windows drivers yet.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not really, you can walk out of an authorised retailer in Malaysia paying less than the US online price, Hong Kong is also favourably priced. If you want to look for expensive Mac`s look to the EU, Brazil is also one of the most expensive if not the most....

Base 2.3 R-MBP;
    US $2199 US
    Malaysia $2152 US
    Hong Kong $2178 US
    Singapore $2349 US
    Thailand $2316 US
    Taiwan $2337 US
    China $2567 US

I saved over $1000 US by buying my Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7 in Malyshia versus the UK, if anything Asia is becoming a very favorable place to source a Mac...

18. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

You may be right about sourcing one, I am referring to selling one and shipping it to Asia.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Seems like international buyers are the only ones getting and there's enough horror stories out there to make me never want to deal with it.

You might make a few hundred bucks, or you might lose your device and your money. It can go either way. It's a gamble.

Anytime there's a new release you see people trying to scalp it but whether anyone is buying is another question. It seems like people are not in this case.

And it makes sense, it is not going to be sold out for long, and its a product no one even knew existed until this week, so they can live without it a little while longer.

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

What is wrong with people, just wait!
    By the time I get mine (I'm in the 2-3 weeks bracket), I don't think I could command that type of fee from eBay.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Why would anyone want to pay over odds to ship Mac`s back to Asia, even my local approved retailer has stock of the latest Mac`s and we are in a small town up country there appears to be no shortages, with any config available in about a week.

Most of Asia is covered by Apples own online store and that`s where the pricing came from.

22. spesholized macrumors newbie

Be very careful when you sell new apple products (or any expensive and highly liquid items) on eBay. There are a lot of fraudsters out there who might take advantage of paypal's buyer protection. Search for 'paypal scam' on google and you'll find endless number of sellers who got shafted.

I've sold an iPhone 4S last year and the buyer did a chargeback on his credit card after 3 months. Luckily, paypal covered me with their seller's protection but still... the risk is too high.

23. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200776497652?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I went to a Best Buy yesterday and they had 2...so I bought one for this reason alone after seeing the 9to5mac article. So far not many offers have come through...if anyone here wants to make a best offer you'll be my best friend!

24. leenak macrumors 68020

Why would anyone buy that one for $3k when a quick search shows a 'buy now' of one for $2245, $2399 (with free shipping), etc. There is also a current auction for one for $2125 with free shipping.

25. Richard Crisman macrumors newbie

The boxes are thin too. You could get 40 of them in the trunk of a small car. You can move them for 2 stacks each as quick as you can snap your fingers. That's a new Mercedes E class coupe and at least 15 stacks in your money belt.