Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you still jailbreak your iPhone running OS 4.0?

• Yes

Votes: 53 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Not sure, may be.

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, its possible after your JB.
Like jav6454 said above,the iphone 3G is going to be so bloated with 4.0, plus JB and hacks and with very low system resources I doubt it will be a good experience.
I never said it would be. We'll just have to wait and see since this type of backgrounding is fairly new (I've heard WebOS uses something similar).

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Speeding

Just food for thought. I'm guessing you speed frequently or at least have sped in the past. That's breaking the law. Criminal.

Yes I have and do speed, and yes I have paid the penalty for it. But speeding is a misdemeanor, copyright infringement is a felony just a little different.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That may be the case for that specific feature. However, the other features are going to bloat the OS and consume what little resources were left, thus in the end, making the whole experience a huge steaming pile of fail.
We're on the same page. I'm just a little more optimistic than you are apparently.

Not that it matters since I can upgrade in June when the new generation most likely will come out.

andrewstephenso

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2009
No.

Having jailbroken a few times I mostly regretted it, ended up just playing with the wallpaper :)

I like to keep my main phone as default as possible.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Sole Purpose

And according to the Telecom Act I am not, yes, jailbreaking helps you get an unlock.

Owned
for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network.

If jailbreak only allowed your iphone on another network this would be correct maybe, but it goes well beyond that sole purpose. And I suspect if the above applied no phone would be locked to a specific network to begin with. So again still illegal. Keep trying.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network.

If jailbreak only allowed your iphone on another network this would be correct maybe, but it goes well beyond that sole purpose. And I suspect if the above applied no phone would be locked to a specific network to begin with. So again still illegal. Keep trying.

Its so hard not to feed the troll. Argh!

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Nope, at least not for some time. I lost faith in the JB process when things went awry with updates to several apps. The complexity is simply too much work for the benefit given most functionality I want is in OS4.

I originally JB for GVMobile, 3G Unrestrict (for Skype), used folders and multitasking and a few eye-candy apps. With the web Google Voice app (agreeably not as good as GVMobile, but good enough), and base OS addressing the others, I don't see a compelling reason to go through the headaches again, yet.

Don't get me wrong, JB is great for many for a lot of reasons. JB community offers Apple PMs a broad user base to cull for future OS features. I suspect they toy with closing exploit holes so devs get the impression they are trying to eliminate the options. But at the same time, the great ideas of the dev community rise to the surface and they can assess what features they need to please the envelope pushers and maintain a loyal base. Clearly, folders and multitasking were demonstrated as effective and popular by the JB community and rose to the top of the Apple list as a result.

Monitoring and implementing the popular JB features gives Apple yet another way to play cat and mouse with the JB community. For some time after 4.0, JB interest will wane and App Store will sell a greater % of the mobile apps. Eventually, the brilliant minds in the community will add must haves on top of the OS4 feature set and create renewed interest in JB for those willing to put up with the challenges for a few advanced features. I see this game going on as long as the OS remains restricted (presumably indefinite given Apple's propensity to maintain control).

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
This thread is very entertaining but also very off-track. I will restate:

SBSettings and GV Mobile+ ONLY. I'm jailbreaking to PAY for apps. If that's unethical/illegal/immoral then I'm a monkey's uncle. Or I guess a monkey could be my uncle if you believe in evolution. Let's debate that instead. Creation vs. Evolution, GO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.