Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I currently have the 2.2ghz model black macbook. It's running 4GB of ram and a 250GB HDD. It works well enough truthfully, but I'm curious if the 13" MBP would be any better for running aperture and lightroom and photoshop CS4. I shoot with the 5DmkII and a 40D and my 5D RAW files are pretty intensive to process. I've definitely noticed a significant slow-down in processing on my macbook.

I'm wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. Or just hold out as long as possible and get the higher end 15" down the road.

PhixionFilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2008
Deployed atm
I currently have the 2.2ghz model black macbook. It's running 4GB of ram and a 250GB HDD. It works well enough truthfully, but I'm curious if the 13" MBP would be any better for running aperture and lightroom and photoshop CS4. I shoot with the 5DmkII and a 40D and my 5D RAW files are pretty intensive to process. I've definitely noticed a significant slow-down in processing on my macbook.

I'm wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. Or just hold out as long as possible and get the higher end 15" down the road.

Sounds like your looking for power instead of portablility. Id get the 15" refurb, would probably fit you the best.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
Why not Imac, I have the same thing but I just went with an Imac for the bigger screen and it is amazing. If you just want a laptop I saw wait for the 15

emilyland1326

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
If it works fine, then there's no problem...wait it out and save for when you actually need a new computer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If it works fine, then there's no problem...wait it out and save for when you actually need a new computer.

I'd echo this advice. You seem fine with what you have; there will be further improvements over the next six months, year, two years.....wait until your computer is definitely showing its age, then buy a newer model. Get a new computer now if you think you need it, otherwise I'd suggest that you wait awhile until you see what further changes are being made.

Cheers and good luck

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
The majority of my work is done on my mac pro. but I do rely on my macbook when I'm on the road.

Case in point: The next 3 weeks are a series of photoshoots for me and I'll be on the road.

I agree with what you guys said that it does in fact meet my NEEDs at the moment, it's just gotten slower to work on because my raw files went from 12-15mb in size (1DmkIII) to 24-35mb in size (5DmkII) I have really grown used to the form factor of the 13" Macbook size and quite enjoy it's light weight and portability.

I've progressively come down in laptop size over the years hehe. I started with the 17" Powerbook, then moved to a 15" Powerbook, then a 15" Macbook Pro (wound up giving that to my dad) and now a 13" Macbook.

I just wondered if the new models really are worth upgrading to. If the 9400m would benefit me in ways I would notice. I may look into the refurb route again. I bought my old Powermac G5 refurbed.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
If you use your laptop for the majority of your work, what's your Mac Pro for?

PS - I just read the blog post in your sig: the 14 people you meet in an apple store. Coming from a former apple-employee this is 100% true and 110% hilarious!

I'm glad to start my morning with this :)

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
it's just gotten slower to work on because my raw files went from 12-15mb in size (1DmkIII) to 24-35mb in size (5DmkII)
We have similar macbooks (and cameras). You won't notice that much difference processing RAW files with the upscaled graphics card in the newer macbooks. However, rendering and processing video from your cams is another story. It all depends on what you use your macbook for in the field. I use mine for quick, "dump and burn" shoots and on site portrait printing.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I would go for the 15" immediately. The 15" is still compact and the extra screen resolution will be a huge plus for working with your photos.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Well it will cost me about $800 to get the higher spec 15" that I would want.

Yes for quick shoots it's fine to just dump the photos or even footage. But I am starting to do more and more video work. I'm going to start using final cut more and more to process the video. Obviously my Mac Pro is more an able to handle that task.

When I'm on the road video processing will become more and more useful. Is the 13" macbook pro up to handling FCS2?

I MAY possibly be able to have access to my old 2.33ghz macbook pro w/ 3gb ram and the 256MB x1600. I gave it to my dad but I know it isn't seeing a whole lot of use.

What's better suited? Trying not to spend a boatload of money.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I think if you are doing a lot of video/photo work the small 13" screen would be frustrating.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
why don't you try upgrading to a 256GB SSD first - before thinking about getting a new laptop.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Yes. Yes it would. Not really a feasible option for me right now, sorry.

I don't mind doing photo work on a 13" screen, sure it's not the biggest viewing space, but it's adequate. Video could be another matter entirely though. It's a new territory for me.

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
before you upgrade, you should find out for sure if the graphics cards you have to choose from would really help.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm curious, what wouldn't be better with either of the graphics cards from the 15" macbook pro?

I'd be gaining either a 256MB or 512MB discreet graphics card. I can only believe that it would be beneficial to me.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
I heard from the guys at Fry's electronics that the graphics on Apple's 13 inch notebooks have a lot to be desired. If I were you, I would save for a 17'' MacBook Pro; or if you can't wait that long, a 15'' one.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I heard from the guys at Fry's electronics that the graphics on Apple's 13 inch notebooks have a lot to be desired. If I were you, I would save for a 17'' MacBook Pro; or if you can't wait that long, a 15'' one.

Maybe the old Intel 950 / X3100 but the Nvidia 9400 is rather nice. Do they realize that it's the same graphics proc. as in the 15" low end MBP and the default in the dual Nvidia MBP 15's? Have they been taking lessons from the Best Buy manual?

JTA60288

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
Maybe the old Intel 950 / X3100 but the Nvidia 9400 is rather nice. Do they realize that it's the same graphics proc. as in the 15" low end MBP and the default in the dual Nvidia MBP 15's? Have they been taking lessons from the Best Buy manual?

LOL. I guess the gentleman at Fry's just really wanted me to buy the more expensive notebook.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Are you happy with what you currently have? I think the answer to that question is yes from what I am reading. I would keep what you have and then when the time comes upgrade. Apple computers seem to be good for 4-5 years. I plan to keep my current MacBook for another couple of years (it will be two years old in November).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.