Would you use Google Now if it was released as an app on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dba415, Jun 30, 2012.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

I know Apple doesn't like competition but if somehow someway Google Now was released on iOS for iPhone 4 and 3GS would you use it? I know Apple won't allow it but it would be awesome if they did cause it'd definitely be portable to the older devices.

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm not sure if location aware functionality would be possible on iOS due to Apple's restrictions, but... why not just use dictation in a Google search rather than an app? That's the same thing isn't it?

3. dba415 thread starter macrumors 6502

because Google Now is like Siri not just a google search

4. irDigital0l Guest

Yea...I mean I'll take anything like Siri for my iPhone 4.

5. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Google Now infringes Apple's patent No. 8,086,604 and is another ripping off of iPhone. Apple would never allow it during thermonuclear war nor Google make it available for iOS like turn-by-turn. It's not a matter of money. Apple like only fair competition.

If you still like Google, read this: Google Helping Your Boss Track Your Every Move. They are not angels.

6. dba415 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's like Find My Friends. And the US patent system is broken and aapl is taking advantage to remove their competitors. The patent system needs serious overhaul

7. mnemonix macrumors regular

This is nothing but an app that tracks your location allowing the coordination of remote groups of people if you choose to install and use it. The idea that your boss will use it to check up on you is misleading hype and poor journalism. If it were ever to be used for this purpose your only argument would be with your boss not Google.

Love Apple stuff, but this childish and paranoid attitude toward Google is growing tiresome. And no company are angels.

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

How so? I saw it demo'd and it seems just like a Google search to me. Go type "What's the weather like today?" in Google, or "How tall is Delta Goodrem?". It's just you're dictating the search on the smartphone, not typing it.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Don't know if I can take the OP serious after these recent nuggets

Nexus 7 vs iPad

price no obstacle?? Nexus 7. Bwahahahahahah

Apple Fanboys

ok. I won't.

Google Now is data mining poop. No I would not use it nor would I use any tool that comes from a company that's profits come from advertising and data mining.

10. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

It appears Apple doesn't like unfair competation. But that's another subject.
    And to answer your question. yes, i would use Google now and whatever app i find useful, be that from Google or whoever. It doesn't make any difference to me. More then Google now i would want Maps. As an alternative maps app. With an option to preload data for off line use, preferably.

11. arashb macrumors 6502

I hardly use Siri as it is, why in the world would I want to use something that's trying to copy it?

12. realeric, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You didn't even read it. Google Map Coordinate is made for a company to manage their employees. It costs $15/month/employee. You wouldn't be allowed to choose to install or not if your employer wanted to do it. Google shouldn't have made that kind of childish stuff.

13. dba415 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I don't think you saw the right video. This is google now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q

----------

So just because I like a particular product and disagree with your opinion I'm wrong? I like the nexus 7 and jelly bean. Android has finally become polished.

14. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yep. That's the video I watched. Google "What's the weather" and it gives you the same kind of results as in the video, or "How tall is such and such", etc.

15. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Patent System Failure

The patent system needs serious overhaul. Google have been copying iPhone but they are still doing business well without getting punished. The patent system failed to protect Apple's intellectual properties. This is wrong. :mad:

16. depths macrumors regular

depths

That video shows Google Voice Search not Google Now.

This is Google Now showing a weather card.
    [​IMG]

You can activate voice search by saying Google or tapping the mic.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Probably not unless it served some greater valuable purpose over what is already in my stash of apps.

As it stands, I don't see the appeal, nor do I want to give google info on everything I do in life. Plus it won't have the deep iOS integration like Siri.

18. depths macrumors regular

depths

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

20. depths macrumors regular

depths

Yeah probably not something you'd want to use if you're worried about data collection.

However, unless you've given up on Facebook and switched to duckduckgo for search you're probably not going to give up anything new.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's a good point. However with google, especially on android, the mining of information is all inclusive depending on how entrenched you are in the Google ecosystem.

Your email, calls, texts, chats, location, search history, physical appearance, accounts, transactions and associations are all on record with one company.

That's far more intrusive than Facebook.

Does this concern me? Yes.

22. depths macrumors regular

depths

Its too late for me, I've been using Google everything since there was a Google.

I figure I might as well make the most of it before 1984.

23. Baz77, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

Baz77 macrumors newbie

Yes I would use google's map over apple's new one any day. Firstly Who gives a damn about 3D buildings? Its pretty but of little use for navigation. Sure it may be useful as a fun tool to view a city you have never been to, but thats fairly much about it. You can't turn on 3d building mode when using turn by turn navigation while driving as it would just make it harder to see the roads. The the problem with 3D map views in general is that its usually distorted, and has the angle view captured by the satelite and that usually means you are limited by the angles you can view from.

The feature I find the most handy to use when finding my way on foot at the moment is street view, which I doubt apple's new maps would have for quite some time yet. Its a feature I would seriously consider not installing ios 6 for.

24. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

25. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Google Now and Google Glasses are away of Google getting into your life. One day street maps will let you go into peoples houses whom own Google Glasses :)