Would you use your MB / MBP portably without a Speck case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAndy74, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So, I've just finished building my dream MBP 17-inch.

What I'd like to know is what the consensus is on using a MBP portably, not just as a desktop replacement; without a Speck case or is it best to buy one of these cases? Is there any known problems with these cases? Any other advice? Thanks :eek:

2. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I personally use Speck on all my MacBooks. A bit ironic. I like Apple products because they are not plastic but then I add a plastic shell to it to keep it looking nice... I call it the Apple Syndrome...

Anyway it is a worthy investment. However I found that dirt can get into the Speck cases causing very light scratches. So I use a sleeve too.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I didn't use any case on the PBG4 nor will I use one on the MBP13 I bought to replace it. The PBG4 went 5 years with only a very few small cosmetic scratches to the surface. I bought the metal machine back then (and now) for the increased durability, and this MBP feels much more solid to boot. I always felt that the hallmark of the "Pro" line was not Firewire ports or Expresscard slots, but rather the metal construction capable of surviving in a "pro" environment.

For protection during transport I bought a neoprene sleeve, this provided good cushioning when in bags and some shock protection in case of a fall.

Your computer is a tool or a device, not a museum piece. Yes it looks beautiful but a small scratch here or there is not going to affect anything, and most likely will not significantly affect the resale value of the computer later on if you want to sell it (I doubt I could get much if any more money for my 5y.o. PBG4 if it didn't have any cosmetic wear on it...) If you are too afraid to use it may as well return it for a crapper model you aren't afraid to beat up...

Just my opinion.

Ruahrc

4. She macrumors member

Same. Neoprene sleeve user here too

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I bought my computer to use. If, in the midst of me using it, it gets scratched, dented, etc during use, oh well. It was bought to use.

I bought a notebook for portability, the fact that it is less than 1" thick is impressive, and very nice. Why would I add an extra 1/4" to it?

My advice: buy a sleeve to protect it during transport, and be careful with it any other time.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yep, I did it with my iPhone. Only have two scratches on it, one from tossing it on the bed when there was a metal coat hanger on it and once from dropping it out of my car fumbling in my pockets.
    Really it hurts to put a scratch in it but IMO it still looks better then one with a case on it. Plus the amount of money you will save on resale of it will be about what you pay on a case anyway.

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I use an InCase sleeve with strap for travel convenience, but I dont have any case on the MBP itself. like others have said, it was designed to be used, and I'd rather let the design show its stuff. same with other expensive things on the move... cell phone, car, etc... no cases for me

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Personally, I take care of my possessions, but I do not obsess.

I do not like cases that stay on while the item is in use. I will not toss around my new MBP 15", but if it stays in working order for the next four years, I will be very happy. Scratches along the way (other than the screen) are not going to phase me.

9. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting replies. Thanks!

I may order the Speck case, but I get that it's strange to buy a really attractive MBP and then cover it with plastic :D I guess I'm just really precious about my Apple stuff and want it to look it's best for as long as possible.

Yeah I know I can already see some :rolleyes: their eyes at me. I might just order a Neoprene sleeve too. *sigh*

@ getz76 Is there a cure for my obsession, do you think?

10. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I use a Speck hardcase on my Macbook and I love it. I have a Neoprene sleeve but since I got my Speck, its been sitting in my closet :)

11. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Do not let your material possessions rule your life. Go and rent Fight Club and watch it several times.

Do not get me wrong. I am a neat freak and I keep things tight. I keep some of my gear pristine. You should see my Nikon kit. I recently sold a D200 body with 50,000 shutter acutations (through Europe and the US and the Caribbean) and the dealer I sold it to asked if it was ever used. Meanwhile, my iPhone 3G's rear-cover looks matte due to all the scratches. I have not used a case for my iPhone since the first week. It just spends time in my pocket. The glass screen looks fine, though. It doesn't bother me one bit. My good friend's case for his iPhone has a screen cover that looks like garbage. So my friend looks through a garbled screen guard, but his iPhone is pristine. My naked screen looks great. I prefer my way.

Do what makes you comfortable. You sound torn. Of course, since you started a thread about it, Murphy's Law might be in effect. :)

12. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

My experience is that it isn't worth it to know it's in pristine condition underneath the ugly junk you put on it. So you have this beautiful, aluminum precision machine, and you put some clunky plastics on it, and remove half of its class. Just to know that, in the event you decide you remove it and make the computer "naked", it's nice right there.

I put a bestskinsever(identical to invisibleshield) skin on my iPods because the excessive scratching on the chrome backs drives me crazy, but these skins do not add bulk, and do not take away from the aesthetic.

I say, if you're worried about scratches, then get a skin, but not a hard plastic case. Apple did away with plastics - they're just not classy compared to the snazzy aluminum bodies they use now. Why go backward?

13. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not that material possessions are ruling my life, hmm well - but it's taken me a long while to save up for my MBP and it's going to be my first Mac. Sure I have one at home now, but it's a loaner - not the same as actually owning one. :eek: I'm so happy to be finally at the stage of ordering one that I want to make sure I look after it and look after it.

Darn Murphy. I'm just taunting him right? :D

@ ddeadserious Thanks for that, good points too. Maybe I'm being just a bit to precious. Actually, I'm sure I'm being too precious. ;)

14. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I personally think Speck cases (or any plastic case) on a MacBook is rather tacky. It can look decent, but not nearly as good as just leaving it off. Not to mention it'll weigh down your computer, probably close to a pound heavier.

On the other hand, it might protect your computer should something bad happen to it. It may protect it somewhat from a fall, for example -- thus preventing a dent.

So it does have pros and cons, but it's all going to depend on how you use your machine. If this will be your primary machine, and if you're very portable, it could be something to definitely consider. If you're still concerned on keeping the Apple-look to the machine, maybe you should get a clear Speck case. And finally, if you're not always on the go, I'd consider passing on it.

15. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

No thanks, the MBP is very durable, just use neopren sleeve, and dont destroy the apperance of your brand new computer.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Life lessons from Fight Club. Great.

I don't use anything other than a sleeve to transport my MBP. I don't have anything else when I'm just using it on my lap or desk.

17. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok. I will settle for a Neoprene sleeve and avoid the Speck case. :cool:

18. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

Oh really? Want to explain the current Macbook and iPhone and I'm sure iPods?

19. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I used a Bookendz dock at work, so I can't use a Speck case for my MBP. It's just too much trouble to put it on and take it off regularly.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Macbook = cheapest Mac notebook & on it's way out.
    iPod classic = metal
    iPod shuffle = metal
    iPhone/iPod touch = plastic mostly so wireless reception isn't compromised.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So far, outta the three MacBooks I own non of them are protected with a hardcase.. I really don't see the point in buying something light and mobile then go an add loads of dead weight to it, just doesn't add up for me.

Currently I'm using this product by PowerSupport!!
    I love it so much I have them on all my Mac's including the MacPro! :) :)

[​IMG]

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Excellent decision. Those Spec cases better serve someone that's insanely rough on their Macbook such as just throwing it in their backpack and tossing the backpack around carelessly. No point in spending good money on something just to cover up the beauty of it. The Macbook Pro's are quite resilient, don't look them as delicate flowers that need secret service style protection. Using it under normal circumstances it will retain it's beauty for years ;)

23. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting a hard case as well, but then sat down and thought for a second, and realized how unnecessary it is.

When you're traveling with your computer/moving it around, slip it into a nice soft sleeve to protect it from getting scratched up.

When you're actually using the thing, just expose it in all it's naked beauty. It'll be fine.

Laptops don't get scratched/scuffed up from people sitting on their laps/desks and typing. Laptops do get scratches from being tossed into a backpack, rubbing against adapters/zippers/other objects in said backpack.

Don't be an idiot. Get a sleeve and enjoy the full beauty of your new macbook pro.

(is reminded of people who cover their couches with plastic)

24. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

25. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

it is a laptop. a tool. if i wanted the thing to be pretty, i wouldn't have bought something to be used on the go which increases its chances of it being scratched and being worn down. i personally don't get the "Apple Syndrome" because it defeats the purpose of getting something to use for whatever you need.:confused: that being said, i don't go out of my way to physically abuse my tools for work eitherway - that would just be plain silly.

the padding i use is just my Booq case which shields my MBP from transit bumps in my Chrome messenger bag.