Would you...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

Return a unibody MBP that has slight lid warpage and does not meet equally on both sides where the black part that connects the screen to the body comes together? Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does it not close correctly?

If not, deal with it.
    If so, that warrants a look.

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, for some reason sometimes when i put the lid down it makes a creaking noise. However, this is just for a split second nothing major.

Closes fine, but sometimes awakes from sleep if its closed. Also, I'm thinking the lid warpage has to do with how its connected.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wow, are people really THAT picky? It's not made by God. Every one is going to have some flaw, no matter how small.

If everything is working correctly and it's just cosmetic (debatably) then I'd just leave it alone.

[Edit]Just read what you wrote. Make a Genius appointment if it really is affecting the MB and you have AppleCare.

5. smokedog macrumors regular

6. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

There is a "huge" (in comparison to the other side) space on the right side where the lid is connected to the body (black meets silver) compared to the left side. Also, you can see that as you go from left to right there is more space between the lid the farther right you go.

Apple isn't God? Just kidding... I probably am being too picky but since I spent $2500 on the comp I feel like I should be.

7. smokedog macrumors regular

Well if it bothers you so much take it back.

8. six.four macrumors 6502

It looks insignificant to me - but everybody has their tolerances.

If I look REALLY close the lid on my MBP closes a TINY bit closer on the left side. Does it bother me? Nope.

I have a MBP without any dead pixels or backlight issues - and that's enough for me to want to keep the one I have.

You have to consider that when you're that picky - odds are your replacement won't be much better.

9. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

So, you'd say the big gap on one side and the squeak noise the lid makes when closing shouldn't be considered defects?

10. six.four macrumors 6502

"Big" is clearly a relative term. Looking at the picture - the gap doesn't look "big" at all to me - and others have agreed. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd call that a "small" gap. It's a TINY difference from what I see in the pics.

Nobody here is going to dissuade you from what you're going to do anyway. It looks like you already made up your mind to get it replaced, so why bother even posting? You asked for opinions - you got it.

11. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

If it makes a sound when you close the lid...I'd suggest you return it for a new one..just incase if it gets any worse as time goes by..

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

time heals all problems

i guarantee that in like a couple months you wont even care about it

however if it bugs you too much, just take it in

13. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a small creaking noise that happen just as i push the lid to close it then stops. I am a little uneasy about it though. Still this MBP has no pixel issues or backlight issues.

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i don't get why people are being so critical towards the OP. since you spent $2500 i can't blame you for being so picky about it, just don't go overboard with the "i want to get my money's worth."

basically, if it creaks and the warped body bothers you and it wakes from sleep, go back to the Apple Store. and if the creaking/flaws/waking from sleep doesn't bother you, then don't return it.

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Too bad AppleCare doesn't come with free therapy sessions; they should have a couch in the back w/ an iShrink.

This is becoming insanity.

16. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Dude are you serious? If it makes a creaking noise, take it back!!!! Also, if you even suspect its waking from sleep because of the lid... TAKE IT BACK!!! You paid a lot of money for that thing!

17. kelvin805 macrumors newbie

The right side for me is also slightly bigger in comparison, but I don't see it being that big of a problem, I got mine for much cheaper than 2500 cad though :)

18. virtuatony macrumors regular

I wish the first(flickering) and second(noisy ticking fan) unibody MBPs had minor problems like this, then I wouldn't be waiting for my 2nd replacement, weird my blackbook died too so waiting for a new macbook.

Those first two had those water marks and small scratches and even a minor chip or two(guessing all from how it's manufactured now) but I didn't care, they didn't affect my use or experience with the machine.

However at least Apple puts up with there OCD customers replacing them out with basically no questions asked. Just wish that everyone with a scratch or a gap would stop asking if it's normal on here.

Had to break out the old iBook to type this post since I gave away other MBP.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

I did say I was probably being too picky about these things. However, I plan on having this computer at least 5 years.

21. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I suspect that the uneven gap (left side vs right side) at the hinge as viewed from the rear is just how it is.

The lid warpage is something that is not going to get better and would annoy me also. This is my opinion based upon inspecting my unibody MBP. If it were mine, I would take it back to Apple and request a correction.

Neil

22. bntz313 macrumors 6502

my MBP use to make a noise, but have you ever thought that it is new? Mine don't make that noise no more

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah me too. ;)

24. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

The creaking is really the thing that I'm worried about. Does anyone else have this problem? It occurs right as you push the lid down.

25. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Probably just a little tight, better than too loose though. It will probably just work itself in and go away. If not perhaps consider this useful product:
    [​IMG]

It has many uses:
    [​IMG]

...and even comes in a handy 'no mess' pen
    [​IMG]