Wouldn't let me return/exchange and Under my 14day return

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iHeartsteve, Mar 31, 2012.

1. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I wanted to exchange my ipad3 today for another one bc my screen's top 1/3 has the pink hue. The one apple store I went to was going to let me exchange but they were out of the model I wanted. 32G Verizon.

So I went to another nearby apple store that did have one in stock. I show them my receipt and she tells me an apple genius has to look at it before I can return it. I tell her I'm under my 14 days and show her receipt. She argues with me and says well yours is already opened. The genius said all screens slightly vary. Wtf. So they wouldn't let me exchange.

Since I'm under my 14 days, I should technically be able to even return it if I want! I'll just have to wait until my trusted apple store gets more in stock. Grrr

2. azure247 macrumors 6502

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I've exchanged a few myself already. One store always had a genius take a look at it but never gave me issues. Go back and if they don't let you exchange it, have it returned onto a gift card and buy another on the spot.

4. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

You should have just done a return. They cannot deny you that as it in on their receipt. Then repurchase what you want. Or get a manager involved.

5. Oskiwawa macrumors newbie

Oskiwawa

Why not return it to the original store and get your money back. Then go to the store which has stock you want and buy there.

6. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Lol it was the manager who wouldn't let me exchange. I think she woke up on the wrong side of bed.

There's another store that has them so I'll just have to go over there or wait bc they said they get new shipments in everyday except Sundays.

7. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think that some stores are, somewhat understandably, instilling a limited return policy for issues like screen tint. I exchanged my first iPad because it did have a harsh enough tint difference between each half of the screen, but it also wasn't so visible under the store's lighting so it likely painted me as being more picky than I was. The Genius at my store seemed hesitant and told me that I wouldn't be able to exchange a replacement for the same reason. I pointed out a single dead pixel that I didn't think was reason enough alone to trade it in, but it was something we could both identify and he felt better about making the exchange.

It sounds like the people at your store should have been a little more helpful than they were and that they did fall a little bit short. But also keep in mind that the people who are exchanging their iPads 5-10 times over (something the Apple Genius told me himself) are probably taking their toll on the Apple Store employees.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I would have just returned it then, waited 5 minutes and then bought another one.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How many exchanges have you done? Are they getting to know you or what?:cool:

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why would u wait 5 minutes? Just curious.

11. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Nope. Went to different store I never went to before. The apple store I always go into is fine w me exchanging again, they just don't have model I want.

This is my second exchange.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

There is a part of this story we're not reading. . .

(It would be interesting to get the Apple manager's take on this one.)

13. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Maybe it's to savor the moment of victory. Why rush a good thing? :D

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

LOL - something like that!

15. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

don't you pay a recycling fee if you return it?

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Good question, but if it was a matter of getting around the obnoxious store manager I'd probably pay it.

17. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

They tried to pull that on me. I was returning one with bad backlight bleed... A white line across the top of the screen. It looked like the screen was separating from the display. I purchased another on line, to pick up while I was making the return... When I told them why I was there they said they'd have a genius look at it. I told them oh no.... I don't want it, I'm within the return window and I have another one waiting for me. I don't want it, and I'm not keeping it.
    Good luck to you... They can't make you keep it

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually they can choose not to accept the return for any number of reasons. :rolleyes:

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

If its been opened they should check the return to make sure everything is there and without any obvious damage

20. sluggozmom, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

Even within the window? If it's it's defective and you can't live with it? They'd have a hard time making me keep it!
    Especially if the genius said the problem is within acceptable range.. It's probably in the like new condition it was purchased, and with all the packaging and accessories. They might not want to do an exchange, but I can't see how they can refuse the return.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

If they suspect something is fishy or deem there to be an excessive number of returns they have every right to.

That doesn't mean that they have to refund the money used to purchase it even if you choose not to keep it.

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Does it actually say that anywhere on the receipt (don't have mine handy)? Just curious as to what they put on their receipts.

23. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

I can see your point...although in my case there was nothing fishy going on. I'm not sure the Op was pulling any shenanigans either.. I paid $800 for an iPad.. I didn't want to see that light staring at me anytime I turned it on ... And within the 2week timeframe, I would settle for nothing less than a replacement or my cash.
    Again... I DO see where you are coming from. Thanks for the explanation

24. trek360 macrumors 6502

Totally agree.

I was hanging around waiting for a genius appt and bored enough to read their return policy info sign. It seemed if you are within the 14 day window you should be able to return or exchange the iPad no matter what. There were a few items like opened software and gift cards that were not returnable at all.

If you have an annoying customer and/or an irritated employee, undoubtedly those rules may go out the window and then what are you going to do. You either make a fuss and call the manager or accept it. Or go to a different location.

I'm wondering if there are a lot of returned units especially for marginal reasons whether apple might bring back a modest restock fee.

25. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

My advice? Go back and get a refund and return that item. They should not deny you that.

If the manager who was cranky still refuses you, ask for their district manager's phone number, or regional manager's phone number. It's and issue with the screen...and AFAIK, there is no way that a different tint or dead pixel (within 14 days of opening) or whatever can be caused by the user - thus, they have no grounds to deny you a refund. If they do, that denial has no grounds.