WoW account gone after Disk Utility was run!!!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by QuantumLo0p, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #1
    My account worked earlier today but later on I tried to play WoW but forgot that "Disk Utility-erase free space" was running. The next time I tried to start WoW it was as if it were never played; toon gone, no realm chosen, basic startup screen to choose everything on a new account.

    In the WoW account directory there is still info on all the account's toons but no luck using them.

    Is there a way to get Warcraft back? Do I have to reinstall? Do I have to ask Blizzard for help? Yikes!

    I am at a total loss so any help at all getting me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!!
     
  2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

    kkat69

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, Ga
    #2
    The local cache might have been gone, but your account info is stored on the blizzard servers.

    Have you even tried to login or did you stop at the screen? Go through the motion and login before you fully panic.
     
  3. Huntn macrumors G5

    Huntn

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    The Misty Mountains
    #3
    Disk Utility can't erase account information at the WoW servers. Did you get logged in?
     
  4. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #4
    Got it, thanks for the advice! This may sound odd but I was leery of proceeding past the first screen, fearing I would lose the install for good. Also, I forgot that accounts on Blizzard servers.

    I never went past the screen where it wanted me to select a region and realm type. After I selected it to suggest a realm I could see it had the info on the two realms this account has toons on, whew!

    BTW, I believe when this happened I had Disk Utility running, erasing free space. I was logged on and then my WoW UI started freezing. I think that is when Disk Utility was filling up the drive with temp files.

    Everything seems to be fine so far. And thanks for responding!
     
  5. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    I was wrong about so far so good. Some things are taking very long such as fishing; casting takes 3-4 seconds and looting takes that long too. Using special talents in combat is lagging also.

    Can I repair my WoW install or do I have to start from scratch and re-install?
     
  6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

    kkat69

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, Ga
    #6
    What your experiencing shouldn't be related to anything your computer has done. It could be a momentary thing or something with the server.

    Also to piggy back on your original problem. Anytime you whipe clean and reinstall WoW you end up with the problem you faced in the beginning. Since your local cache/settings are gone, you have to retrieve them from the server then all is golden.

    As far as your newer issue, you can try to re-install everything (it wouldn't hurt) since you ran something, but I doubt it had an effect. Again, it can't hurt but give it a few days see if it improves.
     
  7. QuantumLo0p thread starter macrumors 6502a

    QuantumLo0p

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2006
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #7
    Thanks for the advice; yes, it did clear up!

    I was just about to re-install so I prepared to do so. I wanted to see where Blizz was putting files so I ran AppZapper and it appeared everything was in the Warcraft folder. I moved the Warcraft folder to save just in case I need any patches or old files. Since everything was contained in that one folder I decided to try running it one last time to be sure I still needed to re-install. Sure enough it was still buggered; I couldn't even loot in Dalaran for the cooking daily! I messed around a little more and re-started WoW then behold! It worked again!

    I don't understand why it didn't work properly for a couple of days then all of sudden work because, other than moving the folder, I did not change a thing. You were on the mark about waiting a few days to see if it clears up. At one point I downloaded the install client and it looked like a 10 gig download! Glad I didn't go that route.

    Hopefully this thread will help out other people who experience the same problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    :)
     

Share This Page