Wow am I glad Flash is NOT on iOS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by newdeal, May 27, 2011.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

Ok so I just bought a Nexus S. Reason I got it was because it was $425 off contract and I can make it work with an unlimited plan in Canada for $10 a month with no contract and pay as you go voice and text (which I don't use much). As a owner of an iPad 2 and a previous owner of a iPad1 and iPhone 3g I can say I am very glad with apples decision to keep flash off of the iOS devices. Running flash 10.3 the device (similar in specs to an iphone 4) gets bogged down to the point that navigating the website becomes very tough (especially since the stock browser either activates all flash elements or none) and it gets very hot. Battery life plummets and worst of all, even though playback isn't too bad (at standard definition it chops occasionally I am sure HD is a no go), none of the elements are usable. Watching flash videos if I want to turn up the sound its impossible, there is no way to use the slider to increase the volume so its always either at half or muted. Same goes for the position slider, unusable to get any fine control (you can click and get it to switch position in the video but its not accurate at all). The HTML5 player for iOS is far superior, battery life is unaffected, it doesn't get hot, really I can't see why people on android forums complain when browsers are released without flash support (aka firefox for android) because man does flash suck on a mobile device.

2. PureComplexity, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

PureComplexity macrumors newbie

Just turn it off, or unistall it. You don't have to use it, nor does it even come with Android.

I have an Android device as well, and Flash is more of a "I have it and you don't" situation. However, the only difference between my and your situation is that is doesn't bog my phone down like that... oddly. I must not use intense Flash websites such as yourself. And Flash has also been quite useful when it has come to watching TV shows and Flash videos embedded in blog post and whatnot.

You can also get HTML5 playback on your Android device as well. Uninstall Flash, download "Dolphin Browser HD" from the Android Market, then set your user agent to iPhone or iPad in the settings. I used to do this, but Opera Mobile with Flash enabled has no lag whatsoever, so I stopped. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich brings a better browser to Android like Samsung did with the Galaxy S II.

Flash sucks -- but until it is completely phased out of the Internet, I rather have it than not. I don't mind not having it on my iPad. It isn't that serious, but of course I need it on my desktop and laptop.

3. L0ADING macrumors member

L0ADING

Flash works fine on my droid x... no lag at all also you can choose what flash you want to show up :|

i have no complaints...

4. nickbarbs macrumors regular

yeah flash is butter smooth on my Samsung Galaxy S II.. loads in seconds.. scrolls like butter.

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Love him or hate him, Steve was right.

Performance is either garbage or it kills your battery, or both.

Flash is *not* a uniform experience across all devices. This is the main problem.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Works perfectly on my Samsung Captivate. Easy enough for you to switch Flash off though on your setup, no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Oh and thanks, we seriously needed another freakin Flash thread, lol.

7. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Sorry, this is MacRumors. You are not allowed to complain about Flash here. As soon as you do, the MacRumors Android squad will immediately step in and complain.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have not missed Flash yet. I've only been using iOS devices since last summer, but so far have not felt like I'm missing anything without Flash. When I really need something, Skyfire usually works fine as long as I'm on WiFi or have a strong 3G signal.

9. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I basically don't care much for Flash either.... have Click2flash installed on all my macs but sometimes it would be nice to have something like Click2Flash as an option.

ESPN3 comes to mind.

10. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

install Dolphin Browser, set Flash to "On Demand" - problem solved.

have had this setup with an Incredible, and I have not had a single issue like those you mentioned, and isn't that a newer phone than mine?

11. spinedoc77, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011

spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Well said, don't forget this is Macrumors where one persons anecdotal experience proves Jobs was correct in his one company war.

Yes but to simply turn off Flash would make too much sense from a logical point of view.

12. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

ha.. yea seems like it.

oh OP.. Flash "On Demand" option is also available on the stock browser. almost forgot, since I haven't used that in a while. if you go to settings - Plugins - set to "On Demand".

13. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I am using an iPad 2.....

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

You are also not the OP. :eek:

15. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

You are right that anecdotal evidence is nearly worthless, but sadly all it takes is one anti-Apple anecdote for people to take it seriously. Both sides are guilty.

The OP has a valid opinion based on his own experience. For him Flash is a bad thing to have. But you cannot extrapolate from that to say that all users will have that problem. Several people already spoke up to say that's the case for them. Anecdotal, but valid for them.

Jobs wasn't being irrational in his decision, Flash really was not ready for mobile use when he said what he said. Adobe has made major effort to improve the performance, and from all accounts they are making progress. But my opinion is that where there's smoke there's fire. When you see review after review mention Flash issues, there comes a point when you realize there must be something to it.

Obviously some people have no problems. Good for them. Others clearly do. Bad for them. But stop trading one anecdote to counter another anecdote. Nobody cares if you have no problems if they are having a problem.

16. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

Same here. and the OP is talking about the nexus s here. thats the stock android experience and is known to be the smoothest. hes gotta be lying.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

No one said Jobs wasn't being rational, he's the head of a multi billion dollar corporation, he's an incredibly savvy person who probably doesn't sit down on the toilet without weighing what consequences or benefits that would have on his company. Whether he made the right decision or not I'll pass on getting into that discussion, I'm a bit tired out of talking about that but it's far from black and white, and certainly not even close to being answered. But I don't understand your point? You are the one who said:

"Sorry, this is MacRumors. You are not allowed to complain about Flash here. As soon as you do, the MacRumors Android squad will immediately step in and complain"

I'll assume you were directing this at my post saying anecdotally I have no issues running flash on my android smartphone. So obviously there is one (1) person out there who "cares if you have no problems if they are having a problem", lol. :rolleyes: You see what you did with your comment was call me part of the "Android squad" and saying I was complaining, when I was not doing that, I was just doing the same thing the OP was, stating my anecdotal experience, in contrast to your name calling which wasn't even accurate.

18. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

OK, let me clarify.

1. My original comment that you quoted was tongue-in-cheek about how Android users flood these forums with unwanted info about their preferred product. It was not directed at you.

2. You said about Jobs: "in his one company war." That would be irrational if that were the case. He is not at war with Adobe, and if he were it would be irrational.

19. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

1) Fair enough, I'd like to strangle those users myself. But careful you don't lump the users who are trying to simply discuss things and improve what they would like improved. The truth of the matter is our little individual desires need to add up to a marketing consensus or no company will listen, but hey that shouldn't stop us from at least discussing it.

2) This was also a bit tongue in cheek and not to be taken literally, it's just you get tired of hearing how Jobs decision was the right one and how he won, but this may or may not be the case and it's still much to early to tell this, and the current trends do not necessarily show this, but once again too early and I'm too tired of the subject to broach it.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Parts of HTML5 and many web pages aren't ready for mobile use, either.

Yet they're all part of the "real Internet" that's nice to have access to if and when the user wishes or needs to, whether they run at desktop speeds or not.

It's always better to have choices available. Have something against Flash? Don't enable it. Have something against HTML popups? Disable them. Or enable either one to execute on demand when you run across sites that need them.

21. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I'm all in favor of choice, so I have little problem with this being a slider choice for users. Except then I'd have the same dirty feeling I get whenever I see Bing as a choice in my search bar (anyone know how I can get rid of that choice?). I'd always think the guts of Flash were on my device just waiting to be turned on.

But for the sake of peace in these forums, I'm willing to suggest that choice is good in all cases.

22. ani23 macrumors 6502

Adobe could have easily made a version of flash which was more compatible for touch based devices.

The problem is that allowing that would let people totally circumvent the appstore for casual games, music etc. And that probably is the biggest reason why flash was a no go right from the start.

23. err404 macrumors 68020

I don't mind Flash as a technology, but it's frequently used in ways that diminish rather than enhance my browsing experience. As a result, I would prefer that sites work around a requirement for Flash if possible.

My own selfish perspective is that as more devices are unable to run Flash, it becomes less viable to have Flash as a dependency for viewing content. This forces content publishers to re-think their investment in the technology. The vast majority of Flash dependent sites would not look or function significantly different if converted to HTML5.
    However, if every device had a simple toggle to enable Flash, developers would just continue using it with less fear of losing viewers. The best way to drive change is to shrink the install base.

So for ME to have a web where Flash isn't required tomorrow, I need to prevent YOU from having Flash today. :eek:

*This is a bit tongue-in-cheek, since I already have what I want. Most site that I care about no longer require Flash*

24. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The information superhighway is full of junk.
    Apple should make more of it inaccessable.
    Save us, Steverino.

[​IMG]

25. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

Here's a nugget for you. You've probably heard the HTML5 vs. Flash debate. You've seen the usual arguments thrown around (i.e. Flash is buggy, HTML5 isn't ready, etc). The response by some opponents of Apple's stance has been that Apple wants to protect revenues from the App Store.

I am completely aware of that possibility. But here's a little-known fact about the HTML5 vs. Flash war. HTML5 is being stewarded by the World Wide Web Committee (W3C). Big-name players like Apple, Google, and Microsoft are members. Adobe is also a member of the W3C. There have been numerous reports that Adobe has been stalling the committees work on W3C. What could the reason possibly be? I know! It's Flash. HTML5 is a threat to Flash. You say that Apple won't allow Flash because people could get stuff free of charge on the web as opposed to paying $$$ in the App Store. Well, I've got news for you. Adobe is no better. Adobe is trying to block/stall HTML5 because if HTML5 picks up steam, content providers could provide content for a fraction of the cost of Flash (Flash is around $300).

If you want to call Apple greedy for wanting to protect revenues from the App Store, then you have to call Adobe greedy for wanting to protect royalties on Flash.