Wow, Apple actually cut the L2 on the 2.66....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike1123, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mike1123 macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the previous 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo was rated at 6MB L2... now it's 3MB, and you have to upgrade to the 2.8 GHz to get 6MB. That really tanks...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Core 2 Duo P9600 (6 MB) vs. Core 2 Duo P8800 (3 MB)

Nothing but profit for Apple.

3. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

Yep, it was a Core 2 Duo T9550 with 6mb L2, whereas the newer model uses a Core 2 Duo P8800 with 3mb L2. What you need to remember though is the price point.
    The 2.4 with 3mb L2 was 2k (same as the current 2.66), not the old 2.66 :)

4. mike1123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so negating all other factors.... Let's say I'm looking into a laptop for college (engineering/business major), and I do a lot of software instrument work (song creation) with Logic Pro, where processor power can help. Would buying the 2.8 over 2.66 make sense for any of the following:
    -512 MB vs 256 MB Video RAM?
    -6MB vs 3MB L2 Cache?
    -Faster processor speed in general?

I know that alone, speed isn't too important, but combined with the bigger L2 and more video RAM (I don't know, is that important for any computer engineering software?), would it be worth the extra $200? Thanks, and sorry for going off topic a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and also for Windows virtualization/dual boot... do any of the above make a huge impact?

5. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

Honestly, I'd buy a previous generation MBP (unless you're hung up about the new battery). Both the previous 2.53 and 2.66 come with 6mb L2, 512mb VRam and are/will be cheaper over the next few days, not to mention you can get it tax free if you're in the right state lol.

Keep your eye on http://www.pcprices.net/leftovermacbookpro.shtml

:)

Edit- If you decide to do the above, only buy from apple authorized resellers in my opinion.
    http://wheretobuy.apple.com/Catalog.html

6. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

7. tastychicken macrumors member

First off, it's Intel that cut the L2 Cache on the processor not apple, and secondly, the difference is negligible.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Depends on what you do. It matters for file compression and Excel computations. Not so much for gaming.

Apple is the one selecting what processors to use. Why couldn't they keep using the 2.67 GHz 6 MB cache one?

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Really doubt youd see a difference in logic

10. mike1123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would buy a previous model, but I love the new battery; in fact, I've been waiting for it to be integrated into the 15".

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i just love the fact that my pre WWDC 2.66 mbp is better than this new one. this is the only time that i can ever think of that i was happy i didnt wait.

12. L0s7man macrumors 6502

OMG, 2.66 now with 3MB cache? WTF? WTF! Quietly downgrading processor... I don't remember Apple mentioning "Hey, btw, we've downgraded the CPU!"

The difference is not negligible. L2 cache is damn important; unless all you do is browse internet and watch films...

13. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I have the 2.66 with 6mb L2 cache. You really won't be able to tell.

I will be exchanging for the new 2.8 with better specs and will be getting a refund.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

depends on what you do. but for me who does a lot of audio editing and processing it make a pretty big difference.

15. answer348 macrumors member

Wow. I was still feeling alright about the 2.4ghz unibody I bought 6 weeks ago, until this website pointed out that the store I bought it from is now selling it for $350 less. :(

16. chadley_chad macrumors 6502

chadley_chad

Seems to be the norm for Apple this year .... bring out something new with reduced specs ... and if you live in the UK charge more for that privelidge!

You know, I remember the days when Apple was an inovator of style and spec. You always paid more but you knew the tech was more than cutting edge and the style better than anything else on the market. These days Apple are so far behind on spec playing catch-up 1 year later (i.e. no Quad core offering for the norm home user (I can buy a Dell for £600 with Quad Core!) ... and relying solely on looks isnt cutting it these days with so many contenders catching up!

Going back to the post, anyone who understands the basics of computer architecture will understand the importance of L2 cache; and those who disagree, just remember when Celerons came out ... cheap processor but slow running ... all down to cache! Cache is as important as memory and processor ... if not more depending on the app!

17. human5892 macrumors newbie

I was all set to bite on the refreshed mid-range 15", but these spec reductions (less cache, less VRAM) don't seem to be worth the new battery and better screen -- especially when the previous 2.66 is available for around the same price now.

Am I missing something? Is there a clear reason why someone would still go for the refreshed model (again, beyond the battery and the better screen)?

18. OldManSeed macrumors newbie

I bought the 15" 2.66GHz model as soon as it was bumped up to those specs (back in March I believe), and upon hearing the news of even newer models being released, I was quite upset.

While it's comforting to know that my machine is superior to the newly released ones, I'm still looking at that $500 price reduction and shaking my head in disbelief.

Would the 6MB L2 cache and 512MB VRam justify the $500 more I paid for my Macbook Pro?

I feel like I should call Apple and beg for some sort of refund... any pointers? (Aside from telling me it'll never work and that you pay what something is worth to you at the time you buy it)

Thanks!

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I just bought a refurb 15" MBP 10/08 revision from the Apple refurb store for $1349. I'm pretty damn stoked. These have been $1700 for months and I figured Apple would drop them to $1500. What a surprise to find they were dropped even lower. :D

20. Tweak3D macrumors regular

apple did not reduce the price of your model, if you go online or to a store they are selling it for the same price it was on friday. some retailers are having fire sales to clear old inventory but yours is over 14-days old so they will not help you. If you where 15 or 16 days maybe, but your a few months out. Its technology, it happens. If it makes you feel better I got the 2.66 just like you and am happier to have this over the new one.

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Why do people think that they can just call Apple and ask for a refund everytime they introduce new models/cut prices. Maybe they developed a better more efficient way on the assembly line.. we don't what the source of these cuts are. Maybe they want to try to compete more with other companies. Apple is a company too and they want to make money. People shouldn't whine and complain everytime there's a price cut.

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Possibly due to the fact that it's $500 cheaper :rolleyes:

1. Apple use cheaper components in cheaper machines.
    2. Apple didn't cut anything. They decided on an Intel processor to use based on the price of the machine.

23. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The best deal going right now is the last gen 2.66

The only thing the new 2.66 has going for it is the battery.

24. ColinEC macrumors 6502

How big of a performance increase would the 2.8GHz model see over the 2.66GHz model (all default configurations) while playing a game (such as Grand Theft Auto IV)?

Is it even worth the extra $300?

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The difference in price between the processors is $60 at most.