Wow! Battery life!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdcell100, Apr 2, 2012.

1. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Not that I was getting bad battery life on my new iPad. But I dropped the brightness down to like 75 or 80 percent from being on the brightness setting and I see a huge difference !

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Dropped down to 75-80?? And you can still see? I don't go any higher then like 60...Which is perfect for me. And I charge the iPad once every 2 days with heavy usage.

3. PsstGreek, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

This. I haven't charged my ipad since Saturday. It's at 51%

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why the down voting? I am just stating the facts. 90-100% brightness is way overkill and also has a drastic effect on battery life. I love a nice bright screen but IMO that can be achieved at 60-65%. And at that brightness I am getting a full 2 days of usage.

5. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Last week, I went from Tues morning to Sat. evening just reading and some websurfing. I was only using it a couple of hours a day. I let it go from 100% to 0% to calibrate it.

6. jdcell100 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to take yr guys advice and drope brightness more. When I first dropped from 100 percent brightness took me about 15 minits to get used to it now I can't tell the diffrence

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I have to have mine at around 90%, anything less seems a bit dull for my personal taste. It's probably not the best for my eyes though. :p

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

One day you'll raise it back to 100% and feel so spoilt, with all the beautiful light.

9. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I agree 60-70 seems like a good compromise. I also use mine in the dark a lot so bring it down to 10 or so, even zero.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not a criticism, but I don't know how people can look long at the new iPad at full or near full brightness in normal room light w/o blinding themselves. Maybe my eyes are super sensitive but 33-45% in normal room light is about right and in a mostly dark room 10% works well.

11. elmz macrumors regular

Brightness depends on whether you have auto brightness enabled or not. 80% with auto brightness enabled is not as bright when it's disabled.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have a very bright living room--lots of sun streaming in. I keep my screen at about 80%.

13. Timoke6 macrumors member

I have mine at about 30% with auto brightness on, and i'm also overwhelmed with the battery life! I charge it every 2 days, and often have 20% baterypower left:)

14. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Wow 90%

I have mine under 45% most times. Very casual user.

I charge mine every Sunday (at about 20% - by that time)

15. mcl macrumors regular

I keep mine on automatic. I find I have to charge it every 2-3 days.

16. David Menzel macrumors member

A community member asked in an other thread if I set up my iPad as fresh new iPad, or if I restored it from a backup of my old device. He wrote that some others have reported increased battery drain from restored backups and other with no issues because they set up their devices as a new iPad. Can anybody here confirm that?

17. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

If you restore from a backup, there's about a 50% chance that you'll have lower battery life because it takes the settings from your older iPad and puts them on the newer one. Battery would drain faster because the settings are telling the hardware to expend more energy in certain areas. It's normally best practice to not restore and just do a new iPad setup to ensure proper settings.

18. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ditto. But you have to remember most people buy TVs and leave them on the god-awful super bright showroom display setting. We're used to seeing overly bright and saturated displays.

I keep my iPad on about 45% brightness and leave auto brightness on. :D

19. G77 macrumors regular

Automatic only means little deviance around what you set as your brightness. It is not seting everything automatically...

20. David Menzel macrumors member

Thank you for the fast reply and sad news because that means that I have to install everything (apps, music, videos, newsstand magazines ...) again. If a as new fresh installed iPad improves the battery life and fixes the issues, then I have to congratulate Apple and say WOW! What is that for a "wonderful" cloud back-up service if I have to install everything again :mad:.

21. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

The brightness on my iOS devices always stays on default. I've never had any problems.

22. mcl macrumors regular

That's true, but it doesn't change my statement one iota.

23. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Same Here or lower.

The New iPad Battery ain't no joke. I haven't charged it in days.

24. David Menzel macrumors member

I used the last 2.5 hours to restore my iPad as a new (and completely fresh) device. I really hope to see some improvements. Only time will tell...

25. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

i don't get how this works? If I had my ipad on launch date, used it for a week, and then replace it before the 14 day warranty.. and restore from backup, how is that going to use up more battery compared to me manually reinstalling everything, adjusting settings to match what i had before?

What i mean is, if i eventually replace IPAD A with IPAD B and by either method of 'restore from backup' or 'manual restore', I get IPAD B to be exactly the same as IPAD A, how would there be any noticeable difference?