Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Not that I was getting bad battery life on my new iPad. But I dropped the brightness down to like 75 or 80 percent from being on the brightness setting and I see a huge difference !

its great right? this is my first ipad, i looooooove how long the batter lasts. if you have the 4g, put it on airplane mode when youre at home or on wifi. will save even more.

just such a nice imporvement from my horrid iphone 4s. im lucky to get 8 hours of usage on that.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I have always been impressed by the results of my iPad2 battery, how is the new iPad doing compared to that?

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
have you done the battery cycle? once you buy a product with lithium battery, you need to charge them for 8 hours straight for cycling the battery.
also dont forget that there is internal charging once it hits 100% on display. basically 100% is not accurately 100% from the battery. charge for about 30min-60min more when it hits 100%.

I been using my new iPad 3-4 hours a day. And I had to charge them once in 3-4 days. The brightness were remained at 50%, played 2D games, websurfing, play 720p avi files(heavy cpu loads). Very impressive compare to my old iPad 2.

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
I have always been impressed by the results of my iPad2 battery, how is the new iPad doing compared to that?

My iPad 2 battery lasts definitely longer. I would say 2 hours when using the iPad and much longer in standby mode.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why the down voting? I am just stating the facts. 90-100% brightness is way overkill and also has a drastic effect on battery life. I love a nice bright screen but IMO that can be achieved at 60-65%. And at that brightness I am getting a full 2 days of usage.

Bacause many here cant make a statement or a point without belittling someone. I am not even sure they know they do it anymore, but they clearly dont re-read for tone.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011

iPad 3 has shorter battery life and longer charging than the iPad 2 based on Anand's testing.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/10

I think you should look at the positive. It's amazing they made a device that 4x the pixels without a greater compromise to battery. I only wish they could have provided a more powerful charger. Maybe that will be an accessory available down the road.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I keep my brightness between 18 and 25 percent all the time unless I'm plugged in and watching a video. I can see fine.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
iPad 3 has shorter battery life and longer charging than the iPad 2 based on Anand's testing.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/10

I think you should look at the positive. It's amazing they made a device that 4x the pixels without a greater compromise to battery. I only wish they could have provided a more powerful charger. Maybe that will be an accessory available down the road.

I think the iPad's battery life "seems" longer now because the standby time is actually a LOT longer due to the battery size. So if you're like me, who throughout the day only checks his iPad for emails (when I hear the ding or periodically every 30-60 min) and leaves the screen off but wifi/data on, the iPad seems like it lasts forever. Mainly because the screen is OFF and that is the biggest reason the iPad even needs the bigger battery to begin with.

If it's just constant surfing then the battery is about the same or a little less. I feel like my iPad 2 would lose between 5-10% of battery life a day if not used and logged into wifi (and pushing/pulling email) while my iPad (gen 3) loses about 2% a day if left off at the most.

This is just perception or estimates, I haven't physically measured with a stopwatch

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I usually have my brightness set between 35-50 percent with auto brightness off. Battery life is great, I get 2-4 days of usage between charges.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
My eyes are very sensitive to light. I use my iPad between 0-40% for it's life.

1000 hours
600 at 40%
200 at 10%
200 at 0%

ktmracer350

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Inside my house at all times I use 25% brightness. When the battery was fully charged I got 13 hours of video and Internet browsing use on wi-fi and 100 minutes of standby and still had 10% battery left.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Thank you for the fast reply and sad news because that means that I have to install everything (apps, music, videos, newsstand magazines ...) again. If a as new fresh installed iPad improves the battery life and fixes the issues, then I have to congratulate Apple and say WOW! What is that for a "wonderful" cloud back-up service if I have to install everything again :mad:.

If you did a setup from iCloud you do not have to worry about this.
It is only if you set this up from iTunes backup.
Now go congratulate Apple again :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Why the down voting? I am just stating the facts. 90-100% brightness is way overkill and also has a drastic effect on battery life. I love a nice bright screen but IMO that can be achieved at 60-65%. And at that brightness I am getting a full 2 days of usage.

Don't worry about the down voting, it's something I ignore, you can help people out, make constructive comments and there is always someone who thinks its funny. Ignore it...:)

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011

Really depends on individual usage. I like mine at 100% when I'm on the patio reading the morning paper (aka the USA Today app). I use the iPad in lots of bright areas...at the coffee shop, outside at a cafe, in the car during the day.

I agree with you that at night, in bed, on a long overseas flight, or other dark ambients, it's easier on the eyes even well below 50%.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
During the day around 55%, at night in bed around 25% or less. I don't keep track of battery life all that much because I charge it nightly, but I am not worried about it at all.

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
If you did a setup from iCloud you do not have to worry about this.
It is only if you set this up from iTunes backup.
Now go congratulate Apple again :)

I already did it :rolleyes:

But I would be very interested in knowing the differences between iCloud and iTunes backups. Could you please tell me something about differences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.