WOW Big Red is busting heads.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apollo 13, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

So I was wondering how much it would be if I switched from Sprint and go to Verizon and get the Iphone 5 if it comes to their network over the summer. Damn 2 person family plan will run me over $200 with tax. Minds well go to ATT if I want it that bad huh? Don't see how this network has more ppl then ATT, Sprint, and T-Mo when all these companies are cheaper and can offer more.

2. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Are you sure about this information?

My GF has a 3 family phone plan with Verizon and she pays her bill +10 per line for the same rate.

3. Rodvette macrumors regular

Sounds like you need to do a little more homework, I am sure if you look around you will find a better verizon deal

4. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

yea, it would only possibly be that expensive if the family plan had max minutes, everybody had iphones with unlimited data and messaging, otherwise, i cannot see it costing that much.

5. robo74, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

robo74 macrumors 6502

Family Plan with 700 Minutes.
    4 Phones, 1 with unlimited data
    All have unlimited texting.

taxes, fee's, etc $152/Month

Edit- this is me as a VZW customer.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah you definitely gotta look at the verizonwireless site some more.
    Family Talk and 'Family Talk & Text' you get two lines included in the price/plan plus any additional lines $9.99 + whatever features you want for that line.
    Family Talk = Just voice minutes.
    Family Talk & Text = Includes unlimited text/picture messaging + Voice Minutes (700, 1400, etc).

and I have 3 lines on mine, and doesnt exceed $140

Not sure what business you work with or company you may work at, but check and see if they have discounts for Verizon; i think verizon may even be able to tell you.
    They have a lot of partners and we get a good discount on our line.

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

does the corporate discount apply to just the voice? or the entire bill?

for example if you have 20%, is the 20% off of $119.99 (voice) or also the data plans

8. kalex macrumors 65816

It doesn't apply to the whole bill. it applies only to access charges. Just login to your corp discount website and it will tell you exactly how much your bill is going to be

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not surprised.
    Verizon is the most expensive carrier in the US.
    And you always gotta keep an eye on your bill cause they try to charge you for things you never used or asked for.
    Nickel and dime centrall.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Very steep indeed it accurate. I got a 4 line family deal, 1500 minutes, 2 unlimited data and unlimited text and it runs around $200/month. And that's with a corporate discount.

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

How about data plans? are they included in the discount?

12. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. jonter19 macrumors member

Are you sure? How many minutes are trying to get?

My wife and I are on a two person family plan.
    700 minutes
    Unlimited text
    Unlimited data on both phones
    Insurance on both phones
    $160 a month (she does have a 20% teachers discount on her line)

14. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK went down to 700 mins and got it down to $175. Now I have to go over my pass bills and see if we go over 700mins.

15. ReallyBigFeet, Jan 18, 2011

ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've got:

4 voice lines Family plan w/700 shared minutes = $90 for plan + $30 for 3 extra lines = $120
    2 of those phones w/unlimited data plans @ $30 each = $60
    Unlimited Text, Unlimited M2M, Unlimited N&W

$180 for 4 lines. There are the typical taxes and other charges applied but that's the base.

I also have a MiFi broadband wireless plan on there for another $60/month.

By comparison, if I replicated this on AT&T's FamilyTalk program:

4 lines w/700 shared minutes (with rollover, something Verizon doesn't offer) = $70 + $30 for three extra lines = $100
    Unlimited Data Plans for two phones = $30 x 2 = $60
    Unlimited Messaging for all four phones = $30 (Family Messaging Unlimited Plan...does this just cover family to family or all txt messages to anyone????)
    Total = $190 if my assumptions are correct on messaging.

Really, there's not going to be any differences between the two carriers. They study their own pricing structures very carefully as well as that of each other. They may classify charges differently but in the end, you'll pay the same.

Hmmmm, I'm not a teacher, we have no discount, but I'm paying exactly what you are paying. Are you sure they gave you the discount?

Oh and one more thing as Mr. Jobs would say....

I pulled up my Verizon statement to double check my numbers and in doing so saw one of my teenager's activity.

Monthly minutes used (out of the 700 shared plan) = 11 minutes. Barely dented that right?
    Monthly M2M Unlimited text messages = 15,863 :eek:

Jeebus, the kids these days!

16. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

If you are getting 200+ for only two lines than you clearly aren't doing something right.

The online tool is pretty straight-foward but it seems you can't use it properly, so I suggest you go to a store and get a proper quote.

17. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Yes, the only savings you'll get is by consolidating into one or the other plan.

For a variety of reasons, I've got two accounts on AT&T and 4 (plus a mobile broadband account) on Verizon. If I cancel out of my AT&T plans and consolidate everything on Verizon, or vice-versa, then I save money. But with either carrier, I'm paying just about the same. A perk here, a surcharge there....they aren't going to be that different. Nor will they ever be cheaper as long as the units and plans are flying out the doors as-is. Come spring, I'm betting you'll see some "bait" added to the respective iPhone plans to sweeten the deal but for now....not a chance.

19. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I have three phones on the family plan with 1400 shared minutes - one with unlimited data and visual voice mail and another with weather and gps. Total cost is ~$145/month.

20. Apollo 13, Jan 18, 2011

Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm doing it correctly. Unlike you I talk on my phone so 700 mins isn't enough on a family share plan. Use your brain I will have to share those mins with another person. I would need 2 $30 data plans with a $119.99 talk and text. I would also need insurance on both phones 2 $7.99. I would also need detailed billing along with visual voice mail. All that is over $200.

21. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Does this apply to iPhones? Because I saw it right at the top of Verizon's website:

22. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

If you had taken your own advice and used your brain before posting, then you would have mentioned these things in your original post.

Clearly you can't afford the plan. Either get a new job or stop complaining and go to another carrier. I don't know what you want from us, free money?

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

No reason to get snippy with us, just trying to help you climb back down from that tree you ran up at the beginning of this thread.

Taking your NEW requirements into account, Verizon is still likely your cheaper option.

On Verizon, an Unlimited family plan is $119.99/month and includes 2 lines at that price. Data is another $30/line and you know all the rest. So yes, you are right at around $200/month if you add in insurance (which is frankly a waste of money w/Verizon as it doesn't cover jack squat...go squaretrade instead) and visual voice mail. Although its possible they won't charge extra for that with the iPhone; we don't know for sure just yet.

On AT&T, however, a Family Talk Unlimited plan is also $119.99/month -BUT- its an ADDITIONAL $49.99 PER LINE. Before data plans, that puts you at around $170/month just for the equivalent voice package as Verizon's family plan, or $50 more expensive for JUST two lines. Add in data plans for 2 phones plus unlimited texting and you are going to spend a LOT more with AT&T on your particular plan. Add in more family lines and it gets ridonkulous.

AT&T Family Talk Unlimited Plan:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...s/?q_sku=sku3830302&q_planCategory=cat1370013

Verizon Family Unlimited Plan:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b...ion=viewFSPlanList&typeId=2&catId=323&sel=fam

24. Apollo 13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm 100% positive I make more money then you. So getting a new job won't solve my problem because I can more then afford it. My whole point is Verizon is damn expensive compared to everyone else.

25. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

On VZW we have: 2 line Family Plan - unlimited talk (we make a lot of business calls and do not have a land line) - unlimited data on both - 500 text on both- insurance on both the current phones = $200 per month-ish.