Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Don't kid yourself :p. World of Warcraft is almost six years old, and all Cataclsym significantly adds is a new lighting effect and updated water. Out of curiousity, I watched a video from Blizzard's Cataclsym presentation and I saw the graphic improvements. Still doesn't exactly bring WoW up to 2010. I'm pretty sure my MacBook Pro could run Cataclsym fine in Boot Camp and at half the framerate in Mac OS, but I haven't played WoW for years, other than trying the game for less than a hour total to find out how the Mac client ran a year or two ago.

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Hehe yeah ask what you want, also beta info is now publicly available, its in Alpha your not meant to talk about new stuff.(insert fight club rules here).

Well, the only thing I wanted to ask was....

Troll Warlocks. True or False?

smali

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Some further updates and this time some good news.

After doing some research and talking ingame to a few mac users I found the current build is using some new graphics engine that isnt optimised yet. I was told to enter a command in the config file to revert to the opengl engine currently in use on live.

I log in not expecting much but I think its done the trick! Im currently running everything on medium settings (cant expect much more than that for 9400m to be fair) and some on high like texture resolution and player textures. Running a solid 30-40fps with dips to 25fps if there is a LOT going on. The game also looks as good as it does live for me (i guess it would do now that im using the same graphics engine)

A huge improvement from a few days ago where everything was on low with max 25fps.

Also for anyone wondering I am still running on 10.5.8 and I have heard reports that the new graphics patch and snow leopard in general runs this game much better. Ill will be purchasing snow next week and ill update you guys on any improvements. This should be interesting :)

Ill log in tomorrow to check but I think trolls got druid not warlock.

Gheritt

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010

The beta isn't under NDA anymore. Any information you want on it you should be able to find at mmo-champion.com. As for the troll thing it was announced on the forums a while back

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I was told to enter a command in the config file to revert to the opengl engine currently in use on live.

The game also looks as good as it does live for me (i guess it would do now that im using the same graphics engine)

What does that mean when you say "live"?

Also for anyone wondering I am still running on 10.5.8 and I have heard reports that the new graphics patch and snow leopard in general runs this game much better.

The graphics patch did nothing for my 2010 MBP (https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10861454/).

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Don't kid yourself :p. World of Warcraft is almost six years old, and all Cataclsym significantly adds is a new lighting effect and updated water. Out of curiousity, I watched a video from Blizzard's Cataclsym presentation and I saw the graphic improvements. Still doesn't exactly bring WoW up to 2010. I'm pretty sure my MacBook Pro could run Cataclsym fine in Boot Camp and at half the framerate in Mac OS, but I haven't played WoW for years, other than trying the game for less than a hour total to find out how the Mac client ran a year or two ago.

Nice "my toy is so great theory"...:rolleyes:

Why don't you actually try it and read what other Mac WoW actual players say after "six years".

Also, let contribute my little annecdote. About 2 years ago I got a $200 video card and played WoW BC (under Windows) with a Quad core. and 4 GB RAM. At max settings that blood elf place did work, but sometimes it got uncomfortable because it was laggy and I had to turn it down to be able to stand it. If you want a $100 video card (iMac) to work maxed in Cata and on OSX...I think you'll be disapointed.

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
The beta isn't under NDA anymore. Any information you want on it you should be able to find at mmo-champion.com. As for the troll thing it was announced on the forums a while back

Sweeeet! Yeah I read a couple threads on the forums about troll warlocks, but the threads I read were all speculation I think. I also found a video somebody posted on youtube, showing the character creation screen and it showed trolls being able to select warlocks, but I didn't think that was official.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sweeeet! Yeah I read a couple threads on the forums about troll warlocks, but the threads I read were all speculation I think. I also found a video somebody posted on youtube, showing the character creation screen and it showed trolls being able to select warlocks, but I didn't think that was official.

Are you trolling again for warlocks ? :)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Nice "my toy is so great theory"...:rolleyes:

Why don't you actually try it and read what other Mac WoW actual players say after "six years".

Also, let contribute my little annecdote. About 2 years ago I got a $200 video card and played WoW BC (under Windows) with a Quad core. and 4 GB RAM. At max settings that blood elf place did work, but sometimes it got uncomfortable because it was laggy and I had to turn it down to be able to stand it. If you want a $100 video card (iMac) to work maxed in Cata and on OSX...I think you'll be disapointed.

I did say Cataclsym would run fine maxed in Windows and at half the frame rate in Mac OS. My iToy has impressed me with its gaming capabilities with the newest NVIDIA drivers, running the Mass Effect 2 demo maxed, Sam and Max maxed, Age of Conan maxed in DirectX 10 without shadows, etc. so I still believe in its ability to max out Cataclsym in Windows.

blackbow

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
California
I'm in the beta too, and can't get the water effects to work at all. The slider does nothing. I haven't been able to get a Blue response on the WoW forums, but another Mac tester said 10.6 was required to see the new water. Is this true? I'm running a 2009 24" iMac, 4g ram, ATi 4850 graphics. Currently running 10.5.8, but will upgrade to 10.6 immediately if that's the problem.

Thanks!

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
I have a crappy Intel GMA X3100 gpu build in, 2 GB DDR2 RAM (Macbook,aka Whitebook, mid 2008)

A while ago, I made a little animation by making screenshots of the game, one after another, with the only difference that I changed the View Distance option one tick higher each time.

So here's a compilation on my deviantART account of all the view distances in Icecrown from minimum to maximum, with the respective framerate. (in-game command: Option-R)
http://zeemeerman2.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2edpjd

My question: Should I worry in Cataclysm?

* edit: extra info:
All settings (except view distance of course) are always at the lowest possible. Only Enviroment Detail (the view distance of objects and monsters) is in the middle. Keep this in mind when seeing the framerate. Resolution is native (1280x800)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Here's Stormwind City.

Attachments

• stormwind.jpg
    stormwind.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 130
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.