Wow...love my 2011 MBP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greytmom, Mar 15, 2011.

1. greytmom, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, I just wanted to say - this thing is absolutely awesome! Remember, I'm going from a 2007 15" to a 2011 15" i7. It's beautiful. I can't believe the clarity of screen - how on earth did I manage on my old screen for so long? I just looked at it a few minutes ago and my 46 year old eyes screamed in agony. I've been using the new one WITHOUT glasses and I can see it perfectly - can't remember the last time I was able to claim that!

It's so utterly quiet - I didn't realize how noisy my old battle-axe had gotten until I fired this one up. And much, much cooler so far - I haven't taxed it much, but with my old computer, even just browsing had me at 50+, while my current CPU temp on this shiny new baby is 32 C.

Don't get me wrong - that old battle-axe was rock solid, dependable and did everything I asked it to do. Still does. But I'm basking in the glory of this new machine, and I just wanted to share some happy news with you all - since this forum and the world in general certainly could use some. :D

2. iZero macrumors regular

So glad you're enjoying it!! :D That is quite a jump you made :p Do keep us informed on your temps and general experience :) A lot of people are scared of a lot of posts, because a lot of happy campers are silent! Do share you experiences over the next days, and if you have any problems as well! :apple: :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may get better response to your thread with this tip:

How do I get help with a hardware or software problem?
    To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

5. tekjunke macrumors member

Made a similar jump recently... I agree with you 100%.

This new one runs cooler and the screen is MUCH better.

6. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Congrats on your purchase. :)

So which screen option did you end up choosing?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look, it's just a tip, which the OP can use or not use. It works, no matter what the topic is.

9. LadyK8 macrumors member

LadyK8

I agree with you 100%, except I'm coming from a Windows based computer.

10. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

The high-res antiglare. It is gorgeous, and the colors are rich and vibrant!

11. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hey, hey, what's with this "he" stuff? ;)

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Eh sorry for the generalization.

13. Zeus86 macrumors member

I feel the same way!! I'm coming from using a Core Duo Blackbook from 2006 to using an i5 13'. I love this laptop and I'm going to be using it for the next 5-6 years.

14. greytmom thread starter macrumors 68040

greytmom

Folks, I'm pretty sure GG was joking. At any rate, that's how I chose to take it. Notice my edit note in my first post!

15. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Wasn't meaning to hijack, wasn't trying to be a jerk. Just a thought, I meant no harm.

Back on topic:
    I also just recently got a MacBook Pro 2011 edition, I love it. It does everything I ask of it, and more. The ease of use to these machines as compared to any windows box I have used is amazing. It never give me any glitches (knocks on wood). And just seems to work. Mind you I did have a 2010 MBP for about a month before the update came out and this one is noticeably faster. But the 2010 was awesome too. I love most every Apple product. And, Im not trying to be a fanboy, but they are freakin' awesome!:D:D:D

16. New2Guitar macrumors newbie

I've had my 15" MBP for just over a week and can't be happier with the decision to go to MAC. Screen is amazing, processing speed is fantastic and I haven't even started to edit photos etc., still learning the software. No temp problems or any other issues.

Next, I'll wait for the new processors to hit the desk top and buy one for the house. I'm hoping they will be out by the 4th quarter of 2011.

Regards,
    Chuck

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was offered as a friendly tip (hence the word "tip"), to help your thread get noticed better by those who would be interested in your topic. You were right to correctly assume I meant nothing unkind, and I like your reason for editing the post! May your experience truly be maximized! :D

18. stonegammage macrumors member

Sweeet!

Sweet dude, thanks for sharing.

I have a 20" iMac, and iPad, but am planning on purchasing a 13" MacBook Pro for my photography needs away from home. Glad to see that I'll be making a terrific purchase like you did.

Cheers!

19. acedickson, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011

acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Congrats grey! I purchased the 2011 13" but returned it because I need the 15" too. Who knew?

20. tcador macrumors regular

I also upgraded from a '07 MBP to a new one with SSD. I'm not sure if it's solely processor or combination of it plus the SSD that makes it so far. I find myself just clicking around for the sake of clicking just because it's so fast. Finally runs VMware fusion like a dream.

21. Sudaddy, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Sudaddy macrumors member

Similar story - Moved from a 2005 model Compaq laptop to 2011 15'' MBP. The world has changed so much! I am a CS grad student, so I usually keep up with the newest tech. Heck, I have a iMac and iPhone. I knew I needed the new MBP for my school work but didn't have the funds until now. And wow, I am blown away how beautiful and fast this laptop is. This also made me very angry and curious - why the hell other PC manufacturers can't build a decent looking laptop? I have bought so many new high end laptops for my company but they all look crap. HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba - are you all hearing me? They should go buy a MBP, and learn something about it.

What surprised me is how fast this laptop is. I kept researching and reading about Sandy Bridge. I practically lived on this forum when MBP was upgraded. I thought my iMac with 2200 Geekbench score was "fast", until I ran Geekbench on my new MBP. I got 8863 - which may not be as fast as other higher end models, but damn. That just blew my mind. This MBP made me change my definition about "fast" now. Wow.

Like your old warrior, my old Compaq served me well. But it was time for it to retire. I am still sad and worried about Japan and I am praying for them, but there's a little bit of excitement inside me with my new shinny MBP.

22. PHartnett macrumors newbie

I just got mine an hour ago!
    15' 2.2 quad, its unreal... i've moved from a 2008 imac and the Rev C Macbook Air to a one machine set-up.

Really happy! :D

23. TomCondon macrumors regular

On topic I too love my 13" MBP.. could never go back to windows! the screen and touchpad are amazing!

off topic: I happen to like GGJ's posts, they certainly help a macnoob :)

24. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I have to agree about the screen- FANTASTIC!! Put this MBP beside my old HP (which, at now 7 yrs old was a true workhorse!!), and the screen difference is amazing...And I just got the plain ol' glossy screen!:D