WoW: Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Stridder44, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So I was thinking about reinstalling Burning Crusade (World of Warcraft) on my MacBook Pro. I'm just wondering whether to install it under Leopard or Vista. I know Windows saw much better fps than on OS X, but wasn't sure if this was still the case. Thoughts?

2. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I get about 55-60 fps with vsync on and all settings on high (except 24 bit color 1x is on instead of 2x or 4x). Runs beautifully.

I'd say use OS X. It runs fine and is not worth the switch. Plus theres a Mac native addon manager now that is BEAUTIFUL called WoWMatrix (google it).

GL HF. If your interested in a new server/guild I have one on Emerald Dream (PVPRP) Ally side, msg Nihon.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think it probably depends on what machine you have (the graphics card specifically) and if you use other apps while playing. For me, I have lots of other Mac apps running so I always play in OS X, even though you can generally achieve higher frame rates in Windoze. But if your machine is modern enough it may not really matter. On my new iMac (8800gs) I get 50+ fps with all settings maxed and I cap the frame rate at 30 anyway, so I don't really feel I'm missing anything at all.

4. kabunaru Guest

Why use Windows for one game?
    Get Mac OS X version.

5. leishan macrumors 6502

I agree--it runs great on my Macbook Pro (even when I had only 2G of memory).

6. crimrow macrumors newbie

This was totally true to a saddening extent before the Leopard Graphics update. After that update came out, you can barely tell the difference in XP. I bet Vista is even closer to OS X performance.

I played WoW in OS X for quite awhile from Feb to April of this year. Got tired of WoW once the weather got nice.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If you buy the box you get both, they've been that way since launch so technically you don't 'get' a version, it auto detects your OS.

Personally I prefer the Mac version of WoW mainly due to the extra features not built into the Windows version.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Use the Mac version. Most of my games are Windows games but I don't play them much other than when I get them. Since WoW is a long term effort, you don't want to be restarting every time you want to play.
    Besides which, I find WoW to be very much a windowed mode game because I look up loads of things on allakhazam / browse the net while flying somewhere / chat on msn etc and as such I want my standard nice OS X interface going on. Expose + WoW = awesomeness.

9. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

I absolutely love the way WoW looks on Mac in Mac OS. I have no problem with the performance, and I have all the settings cranked up as high as they go.

And as mentioned, your WoW discs come with both the Mac and Windows version of the game, so you could always try installing it on both OS, and see whichever you prefer the most. If you got the DVD and not cd-rom with the game on it, it definitely shouldn't be too much of a hassle to install it two-three times.

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Not sure how relevant this still is today, but I remember this presentation relating to World of Warcraft and OpenGL/Direct X at WWDC from 2 years ago.

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Probably depends on your hardware. On my Mac Pro the framerates are very slightly better on Windows (XP, haven't tried Vista) but it's far off from being worth it. You'll be much happier staying in OS X while playing it. Plus the Mac-only client features are snazzy.

12. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

If you want the highest possible framerate you have to go with Windows. But that's the only PLUS to running it in Windows. There is not a huge difference but there is one. On my computer (see signature) in windows, I've never went below 55fps no matter where or what. On OSX I went down to maybe 50 fps but you can hardly notice the difference. I play with everything completly maxed out by the way. I'd say go with the OSX version.

13. rbarris macrumors 6502

You may want to re-examine XP vs OSX frame rates with version 2.4.3 - particularly if you like to play with everything maxed out including the full screen glow.

14. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

I just re-did a comparison check.

With Vista home premium 32 bits I get a higher framerate with everything maxed and on (Glow, multisampling etc.)
    The lowest my fps went this morning was 57, in Orgrimmar with a lots of people on screen.

I rebooted in OSX, and checked at the same spot with about the same amount on people on screen, I had 54 fps.

I play the OSX version anyway because even though it doesn't perform as good as the Vista's version, 3-4 fps is not something you'll notice. And in both version the framerate is rock solid, I never dip below these values, there is no hitching. No matter what I do, where I go or what is going on on my screen, the framerate stays always above 50 fps (and that's when things get really crazy).

I use Vista mostly for games that aren't available on OSX or that performs really poorly on OSX. I couldn't imagine myself playing WoW on windows, I like those Mac specific features and since I play windowed most of the time, I don't have to put up with Vista.

15. thomanjones macrumors regular

Definitely go with the Mac version. It has built-in iTunes support and built in video recording. Also makes you less vulnerable to having your account compromised (assuming you don't do stupid sh~t like answering fake Beta test emails).

16. rbarris macrumors 6502

@ TFMTASAD - what I was trying to convey is that 2.4.3 (not yet shipped) may yield higher results than 2.4.2 does. 2.4.2 is the current live version.

17. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

Just realised I was still in 10.5.2.
    I am now in 10.5.4 and somehow the framerate has dropped a lot for me.
    In windows I can run the game with everything maxed at 55-60 fps. In mac I struggle at 30 fps in towns. It's not that bad but still very disappointing for a computer like this.

18. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

I have played on OS X, Vista, and XP.. And hands down I prefer OS X. The images just seem to look better.

19. MrCrispy macrumors member

MrCrispy

I play on xp and osx. I prefer osx hands down. Why? I use the same addons on both computers. With the xp version, I have to run the repair.exe utility once a week. Something keeps screwing up my install. It even dies after a fresh reformat/rebuild with only wow being installed (yes, I've scanned for viruses and such).

Never once had that problem in osx

20. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Plus you probably don't need 30FPS for WoW, so if your system is lower spec than HiRez's, try it.

21. ScottC2105 macrumors member

I have the same exact settings and it runs a dream with no screen ripping or anything, it looks amazing.

Run it under leopard with these settings, there isn't any need to run it in windows I don't think.

Edit: WoWMatrix is great, thanks for the advice!

22. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

None of you guys are getting a lower framerate on OSX comapred to Windows?

I have to turn off some settings to get the game to run as smoothly on OSX.

On windows side I get a steady 55-60 with mulitsampling to 8x, full screen glow etc. Everything maxed. On OSX (10.5.4) If I max everything (multisampling to 4x, can't go higher on mac version) I get 30 fps. If I lower multisampling to 1x my fps rises to 60...but it makes the game look like crap. It seems like I was getting higher framerate on 10.5.2.

23. alkar macrumors regular

Use SET AllowMultisampleFBO "1" and enjoy if you use FSAA 4X :)

24. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

*gets on his knees and thanks alkar with tears of joy*

Thanks man! That worked PERFECTLY. It now runs even better than in Vista!

One last question :

Is there a way to increase the multisampling to 8x like in windows. On my OSX version I can only go to 4x max.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Slightly off topic...
    I am currently visiting my hard core WoW addict friend. I stood over her shoulder watching raid action as her guild took down the next to last boss in the Black Temple and I'm still awed at how beautiful a game this is. Part of me is says "Go play some more!!" but I'm resisting.

The game is a huge time sink.